Topic: Fireface UFX - TotalMix / Mackie MCU Pro - Stand-Alone & PC USB

I'm am about to purchase a Fireface UFX. I am looking forward to its TotalMix FX capabilities allowing me to eliminate the analog mixer I have used for years to setup monitor mixes with reverb and compression as needed. I have operated my studio in a couple of different modes: Performance mode and Recording/Mixing mode. In performance mode I often do not have my DAW PC powered-up, and mix the sound using only the analog mixer. In Recording mode, I still use the mixer for monitor mixes.

My goal, when I get the UFX, is to be able to support Performance mode using TotalMix in Stand-Alone mode, controlled with a Mackie MCU Pro, connected to the UFX via midi. My PC would be powered-down in this scenario.

I also would like to keep both the UFX and the MCU USB connected to my PC at all times. Then when I power-up the PC, I would switch to Recording/Mixing mode, where I would primarily control TotalMix using the mouse and the S/W GUI. My understanding is that the MCU motorized faders should also mirror my TotalMix mouse settings and that I could just as well control using the MCU via USB in this case.

I have seen from a different thread in the forum that Stand-alone midi control does not work when the UFX is connected to a PC via USB. However - I have a slight refinement of that question : Would the UFX recognize that it is connected to the PC via USB if the PC is powered-down (and thus not work in stand-alone midi mode)? Hopefully the UFX would not know about the USB since it would not be active, so it would continue to work in stand-alone midi mode.

The reason I want to keep the MCU and UFX connected to the PC via USB and the UFX connected to the MCU via Midi at all times, is so I don’t have to make cabling changes just because I have not powered-up the PC (vs. powered-up). If I need to make some menu or switch setting change on the UFX or in TotalMix to switch between MCU Midi control of the UFX vs. MCU USB control though the PC, then that is OK – I just would rather avoid having to plug & un-plug cables to accomplish this.

Is it possible to do the above? The UFX purchase is going to happen. I have not yet made the decision on the MCU Pro (depends on whether I can accomplish both of these control modes easily enough).

Re: Fireface UFX - TotalMix / Mackie MCU Pro - Stand-Alone & PC USB

Bump ... This post got buried under a flurry of activity over the weekend.

Anybody using a Mackie MCU to control a FF UFX in stand-alone mode via midi to the UFX with PC powered-down  -and-  alternately using the MCU to control TotalMix via USB wih the PC powered-up, with no cabling changes?

Re: Fireface UFX - TotalMix / Mackie MCU Pro - Stand-Alone & PC USB

> Would the UFX recognize that it is connected to the PC via USB if the PC is powered-down

No - as long as the PC is really completely powered down. In standby state some computers have active USB ports.

Not sure if the rest of the setup will work as I don't have a MCU.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME