Topic: Clicks and pops with RME UFX

I just got my RME UFX today, and first thing I have done is update it to the latest drivers.  I'm running a MBP, OSX 10.6.8, and connected via firewire.  My MBP has no FW400 port, so I have the interface daisy chained via my Glyph HD (which is connected via FW800).  I know this routing to work fine as I have had two different interfaces running like this without issue.

Anyway - I seem to have an issue with clicks and pops.  This is happening in iTunes, on Youtube, and within Protools.  I've been trying solutions for an hour now, but I can't seem to pinpoint the setting/source of what i'm hearing.  Observing the Totalmix GUI - if I play audio through the unit I can see random spikes happening across all the tracks, perhaps to the frequency of two or three a second.  Numeric levels are constantly shifting across all the faders too.

I have word clock set to internal, 44.1K, OSX sound input/output set to UFX in the dropbox.  I'm totally new to RME equipment, so i'm not familiar with any troubleshoots. 

I am thinking the FW400 cable may be too long for the job, but perhaps that's nothing.

Any tips or advice to get up and running would be much appreciated.

Re: Clicks and pops with RME UFX

FYI - I just tried a direct connection via USB and the interface works flawlessly.

I think I am on the money with my initial concerns - the FW cable is too long or faulty.  I'll buy a shorter/new cable tomorrow and see if that solves the problem.