Topic: Help with multiple RME units connecting via ADAT

Heya,
I need some help connecting three RME units together. I currently have
1x RME Fireface 800
1x RME ADI-8 DS
1x RME fireface 400

The master clock unit is the ADI-8 running at 48khz with level in/out set to -10dBV. The other two units via firewire have been set to autosync with respective level options. I should mention that I get a solid green lock on all three ADAT units.

As another thread advised on this forum I set up both FF400 and FF800 independently of each other and configured the matrix for each unit (as explained on this thread) before connecting them via ADAT.
I did this but alas still to no availl, I can get pink noise (generated from my DAW (Logic-Pro or Protools 10) and I can monitor all output channels on the FF800 totalmix using PHl/PHR. So I know the signal is being gentrated for the respective outputs)
I can get signal output from both the FF800 and ADI-8 unit but not the FF400. IE 1-16 channels on the analogue console work but not 17-24.
I have checked all outboard signal flow 1-24 from my patch bay to the desk and it all works. It appears the signal stops inbetween Totalmix and the FF400 ADAT output.

Please advise on a possible solultion to this as I've spend a good 12hours on this problems and am wondering if anybody else has had this issue? Therefore could offer some advice.

Cheers
Andrew

Re: Help with multiple RME units connecting via ADAT

Where are your ADAT/Toslink cables going to/coming from, exactly?

Logic 9.1.8 (1700.67) (32-bit) - OS X Lion 10.7.5
Digiface <-> [Fireface UCX & Prism Orpheus - ADAT]

Hey mate,

The ADAT routing is as follows:

FF800 ADAT 1in     - ADI-8DS ADAT out
FF800 ADAT 1 out  - ADI-8DS ADAT in
FF800 ADAT 2 In    - FF400 ADAT out
FF800 ADAT 2 out  - FF400 ADAT In

Since the clock is coming from the ADI-8 should the ADAT "hub" be with this unit?

Cheers

Andrew

4 (edited by DanRand 2013-01-18 16:29:16)

Well your ADAT connections look fine.

Not sure what you mean by ADAT "hub". If by "hub" you mean route all ADAT through the ADI-8 DS, then no because the ADI-8 is a stand-alone converter, without Total Mix routing capability for your ADAT streams.

It really doesn't matter which device you choose as ADAT clock Master, although it may be better to set your best ADC to be the clock master.  See 'Who's the Daddy?" in this article.  So, it kind of depends which devices sound best when clocked externally and which one's don't.  That's really just trial and error, but the differences may be so small to be insignificant to you.  Otherwise, I'd say, as far as routing & clocking simplicity goes, the FF800 would also be fine as ADAT clock master and ADAT "hub"/router?.

Providing, you're getting lock & sync on the FF800 and FF400, it looks like a FF800 or FF400 TotalMix routing problem.  Without seeing screenshots, this is difficult to diagnose.

Which PC/Mac, DAW & OS are you using?  Is the FF800 the primary driver that your DAW is communicating with?

D

Logic 9.1.8 (1700.67) (32-bit) - OS X Lion 10.7.5
Digiface <-> [Fireface UCX & Prism Orpheus - ADAT]

By default the FF400 is not set up for this. In ff400 totalmix or matrix, all analogue inputs should be set to output to the corresponding adats out and all adat ins to the analogue outs.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632