Topic: 2 Multiface II - Cubase Midi Weirdness

I am running two MF II on a PC (Win 7 x64). Since installing various Midi cards, both Midi connections show up as RME Multiface so they are not distinguishable anymore. Before they have been name RME Multiface & RME Multiface (1). I have tried to reinstall Cubase & RME drivers as well as the other Midi Device drivers, no luck sad

Any ideas?

MSI X58 Pro i7@930, 12GB
W10 Pro x64, Reaper, Wavelab
5x MF II, 5x MF
E-mus and many other animals

Re: 2 Multiface II - Cubase Midi Weirdness

You can name them in cubase device setup so after a test you will know which one is which.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Vinark, thanks but: DeadHorse

When i name them i.e. E-mu Emax & E-mu SP-12 they will both be E-mu Emax after restart. I suggest this comes from both having the original Port Name "RME Multiface" and not RME Multiface & RME Multiface (1). I need Cubase to recognize them with different names from the beginning or it won't work... HeadScratch

MSI X58 Pro i7@930, 12GB
5x MF II, 5x MF

Ah I see, my bad.
Could be an issue with the max number of midi devices in the registry. To fix it you would need to uninstall all midi and audio drivers and the clean the offending registry key and then reinstall. I know there is a paper on it somewhere on the rme site. Something about maximum midi devices. That is of course assuming this is the cause.

Vincent, Amsterdam

I did uninstall all midi / audio drivers, but did not clean the registry. I suggest though, if it would be a registry issue it would show up wrong in reaper / ableton as well, which is not the case...

MSI X58 Pro i7@930, 12GB
5x MF II, 5x MF

Yes you are right about that! Then maybe trash the cubase preferences? Although it seems you would have tried that.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Actually i have not as I thought a simple un- and reinstall would do. Will try that when back in the studio!

MSI X58 Pro i7@930, 12GB
5x MF II, 5x MF

Hello!

I have exactly the same problem with two HDSPe AES and Cubase 7. Also the external Midi clock works only in one card. I have already contacted the support from RME and Steinberg but haven't got any response yet. Does anybody know if this problem comes from the RME or from Steinberg? Just want to know which supporter I should keep requesting.

Thanks a lot!

There are tons of freeware MIDI tools that you could use to verify that the ports are shown in them correctly or not.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

lunatic wrote:

I am running two MF II on a PC (Win 7 x64). Since installing various Midi cards, both Midi connections show up as RME Multiface so they are not distinguishable anymore. Before they have been name RME Multiface & RME Multiface (1). I have tried to reinstall Cubase & RME drivers as well as the other Midi Device drivers, no luck sad

Any ideas?

I had the same kind of issue, it is caused by the automatic MIDI port filter in Cubase, this is what I did to solve it:

1. I opened the Cubase application folder (C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 7), went to the subfolder "midi port enabler" and copied the file "ignoreportfilter" up into the application folder. This causes Cubase to not automatically filter midi ports but show them all.

2. Then I started Cubase and went to the Device Setup Window, and there to "Midi Port Settings". The midi port list now shows all DirectMusic (emulated) and all Windows midi ports. Usually, all Hardware midi ports show up twice now, once as a DirectMusic port and once as a Windows Midi port. On my machine, some ports even showed up twice as DirectMusic port, thus, causing a naming confusion like what you described.

3. In the list, you can toggle the "visibility" Switch for each port. I made all DirectMusic ports invisible.

4. In the list, you can also alter the port name which will be shown in any MIDI port selectors.

5. In the list, you can select which MIDI In Ports should be used when selecting "All MIDI ports". Make sure you do have each hardware port selected only once for "All MIDI" otherwise you will end up with strange MIDI effects like double notes and such.

6. After this, I visited my Instrument's midi port Settings and also the midi port Settings of my midi Controllers to make sure they are using now-visible ports.

With these steps, my problem with indistinguishable MIDI port names was solved.

If you need more Information on this subject, google for "Steinberg midi port filter".

regards, Mikael

2 DAWs, each C 7/64, W7/64, Dell Prec. T5500 (2 x X5690), 2 x rme HDSPe / Multiface II / Octamic II

unfortunately does not work with Cubase7

bonix wrote:

unfortunately does not work with Cubase7

Hello Bonix,

I just did it in Cubase 7. What doesn't work for you there?

2 DAWs, each C 7/64, W7/64, Dell Prec. T5500 (2 x X5690), 2 x rme HDSPe / Multiface II / Octamic II

13 (edited by bonix 2013-02-21 15:45:59)

Hallo Mikael,

after a restart, the names are the same again and the external Midi clock works only in one card. absolutely no change in DirectMusic but Windows MIDI works.

this is strange!

thx