1 (edited by JRS 2013-01-23 18:13:06)

Topic: UFX AES digital artifacts

Hi All,

firstly i have to say i love my UFX. im coming from a MOTU 828MK2. what a difference. :-)

right now im going AES out of the UFX to my outboard DAC as i did with my MOTU, but i notice when my Sample Rate is at 44100, all is great. when i bump up to 44k and up i hear a tone, almost like an 8k sine wave. i typically keep my system at 96k and have been dealing with the noise but im wondering if anyone else has seen this with using an outboard DAC.

i did notice today if i change the pitch to 0.1% or -0.1% the noise seems to almost vanish completely. if this is a workaround that's great, but what effect does this have while tracking and mixing?

thanks for any input in advance.

Win7 64bit via USB, driver version 1.0.25

-Jon

EDIT: the noise gets worse as the sample rate is increased

Re: UFX AES digital artifacts

Current driver is 1.028. Also make sure you use the latest firmware.

Try to find out where this sound originates. Pull down all faders and mute the hardware outputs in TM FX. If the sound is still there it is generated within the DAC. If not the AES output faders in TM FX will change its volume. Check the level indication for a signal shown in TM FX.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Mathias,

are faders are pulled down with no difference in the noise. same with muting the hardware outputs.

do you know what impact going to .1% or -.1% would have tracking and mixing?

thanks,
Jon

It changes the pitch by that amount. Can your DAC be used as clock master? Maybe then the problem goes away. Otherwise - use the UFX outputs 1/2 instead...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME