Topic: Can't Update Firmware of Driver

Hi,

I have an HDSP 9652. I'm using Windows 7 32bit. Windows finds the device and I was able to install the driver off the disk (ver 2.1). I'd like to update to the newest firmware and driver, but I can't seem to get the Firmware Update Tool to run. It seems to do nothing.

The card shows up correctly in Digicheck, meaning it shows SR 44.1khz in the bottom left hand corner. When I update the driver to ver 3.29 Digicheck doesn't seem to be able to see the card, even though it says it's function properly in the Device Manager. When I roll the driver back to ver 2.1 it sees it again. I'm assuming that's because the new driver only works with the new firmware.

I've tried running the firmware update tool with both versions of the driver. I've tried older versions of the firmware update tool. They all do the same... ask permission to run and then do nothing.

Firmware Versions I've tried:
fut_wdm_dsp
fut_win_dsp

Driver Versions:
default that came on the CD (ver 2.1)
w2dsp_294
hdsp_wdm_3085
hdsp_wdm_329

What am I missing here?

Re: Can't Update Firmware of Driver

The current firmware only works with the current driver. And the current driver needs a current DIGICheck...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I have Digicheck 5.5 installed. It sees the card just fine with the OLD Firmware and OLD Driver. The problem is that I can't seem to update the Firmware.

The old W2k driver needs to be uninstalled first, including the reg entries (see manual, Remove Programs in Windows). Then install 3.29 and reboot.

Also make sure you did not accidentally download the PCIe firmware updater. The fut you need is from 02/2009. If your card is on 108, see Settings dialog, tab About, then you don't need it at all. If you successfully used the firmware updater and did a cold-reboot, you have to install the current driver a second time (as noted in the readmes and the manual). (Note: Both futs that you downloaded do not work with the old 2.x driver).

All of the above works, there is nothing wrong with the driver, DIGICheck or the firmware update.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I have Digicheck 5.5 installed. It sees the card just fine with the OLD Firmware and OLD Driver. The problem is that I can't seem to update the Firmware.

All right,

So I couldn't find where it tells you how to remove the registry entries. I found a site that had you reboot into safe mode and remove entries that contained hdsp, hammerfall, and 3fc5.

http://www.proaudiosupport.com/a40031/c … -hdsp.html

I didn't find any 3fc5 entries that seemed to have anything to do with HDSP, so I didn't touch those.

I installed Driver version 3.29 and Digicheck 5.5.
I tried to run the FUT and had the same result... nothing.
Digicheck now says "No Device" in the bottom right hand corner.
Device Manager says everything is working properly.

Are the instruction I followed at the site incorrect. I did everything but remove the card. Where in the user manual are your instructions? How should I proceed?

The latest HDSP 9652 manual is on our website, chapter 10.3 is titled 'De-Installing the drivers'.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Shane,

Did you manage to get this problem solved? I have the same issue except I'm using a Multiface II (HDSPe PCI). This is my situation:

I installed Driver version 3.32 and Digicheck 5.5.
I tried to run the FUT. It says "Erasing sector 9" for about 5 seconds and then just says "Failed".
Digicheck says "No Device" in the bottom right hand corner.
But Device Manager says everything is working properly.

Do you know what this issue is, Matthias?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, guys.

Thanks.
Jim.

When the fut fails like that you have to flash the card on a different computer. Something prevents it from working, and we can not say what that is.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Okay, good to know, thanks for the reply. I'm using a Dell XPS 8500, do I have to flash it on a similar PC or could I use a Mac?

Thanks.
Jim.

You can flash on any computer.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Cool. Thanks, Daniel. Much appreciated.

Jim.

Just thought I'd post in case there are others who have the same problem as I did - this fix (flashing on another computer) worked for me. I was running Windows 7 on a Dell XPS 8500 and the FUT kept failing, as it did on another computer running W7 that I tried to 'flash' on. I eventually tried it on my friend's Mac Pro from 2010. It wouldn't work in the PCIe 16x slot, which I read online that it would have, but did in the 4x one. And that was slot 3. The computer was running both Snow Leopard and Windows 7 so I dual booted and it was working in both. Problem solved. Been using it with Sonar X1 and Komplete 8 since and everything's running hunky dory.

Good luck to anyone else with the same problem - hope this works for you too!

Jim.