1 (edited by Tohtruck 2013-01-27 19:27:43)

Topic: RME Fireface 800 Travel/Carry Case

I would like to know if anyone knows of a good travel case for the Fireface 800.

Some type of hard case is preferred. I just want something that will provide a certain degree of protection but convenient enough to carry and walk around with.

Waterproof and air travel safe are added bonuses, but not essentially at the moment.

This is one of the cases I am considering at the moment, it has a hardwood interior core and it fits 1 unit while providing zipper flaps on the back and front for access to ins and outs. It also provides a handle and a shoulder strap which would make it easy to walk around with.

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/ … =&s=80

However, I am not sure about the depth of the case which seems like almost twice the amount of room than I need and it would make it difficult to have access to the rear ins and outs.

But if anyone has any suggestions or good solutions, that would be helpful.

I am open to a good solid case that would require me to take out the unit when I am using it. However, I much prefer a case that I can just keep the unit in and work with like that (while the unit is still in the case).

Re: RME Fireface 800 Travel/Carry Case

I have exactly the SKB 1U softcase, and various other Gator software case (2-4 spaces). I recommend Gator 2U for FF. SKB 1U is too deep and you need to reach into the case for cabling, but extremely hard to do as you've already imagined. Another point, SKB 1U case's shoulder strap broke at the hook when I was carrying. I was lucky to grab the case before falling on the ground, but it was a close call.

Wow! That's definitely good to know Masaaki. Yeah the shoulder strap looked a bit weak sauce in a YouTube review I was watching.

Thanks so much for the input, I really appreciate it!

I will look into the Gator 2U. Thanks for the suggestion!

Great name by the way: Masaaki!!

ha ha, thanks.:-)

One more thing to mention.

Does your FF 800 heat up a lot? My FF UFX heats up, and if it's in the 1U case, the heat is contained, and goes up even higher. RME staffs assured that UFX's heat is not an issue, but I'm just overly cautious, and I want to protect my $2000 gear as much as I can think of. So, I put UFX in 2U case, or if I need to go to old buildings for location recording, I put it in 3U case which has a power conditioner. Then cabling behind the rack is easy, but I still bring a pen light to see tiny labelings of those rack gears....

Actually, yes, my FF 800 does generate a bit of heat. That's an excellent point.

I'll have to take that into account. Not sure if I will be bringing a power conditioner around with me (although that would be ideal).

I'm trying to shoot for minimal gear (the essentials among what I already own).

Here's another case that I found, a bit pricey for me at this point, but it also looks pretty choice:

http://www.gatorcases.com/p/29181-1106/gr-studio2gow

I'm gonna go ahead and assume not many people travel with their Fireface 800 as a remote/location recording device.

Tohtruck wrote:

I'm gonna go ahead and assume not many people travel with their Fireface 800 as a remote/location recording device.

It seems that a few messages ago, you had decided to go with an SBK or Gator case that would allow you to rack mount the FF800. Gator makes a 2 rack unit case that is shallow enough for the Fireface. The only step up one of from those would be to a full, metal clad, wooden flight case. Those things are both expensive and heavy - a concern if you're the roadie - and of course, the issues of adequate ventilation and rear connection access remain.

I went the other way, deciding that both heat dissipation and connection access for the Fireface were best served by running it un-racked and in the open air. This allowed me to remove the rack ears, reducing the width requirement a bit, allowing me to consider some Pelican cases smaller than the 1600 (smallest Pelican which can accommodate a 19" wide device) which is overkill for a 1 rack unit device.

I realized that I would seldom (never?) be traveling with my Fireface without my laptop. Even though I already had a Brenthaven bag, with its fully sprung shock absorbers, for my 15" MacBook Pro, I decided that a Pelican which could hold both the Fireface (sans rack ears) and the computer in its bag would provide as much protection as is feasible for portability. As such, I went for the Pelican 1560, which holds both nicely, has convenient handles on both front and side, plus an extensible handle and wheels for even easier transport.

Frank Lockwood
https://LockwoodARS.com
Fireface 800, Firmware 2.77
Drivers: Win10, 3.125; Mac, 3.36

^^^ That's great to know. I was considering a Pelican case and I will look into that 1560 model.

I've realized that a rolling case would be the best way for me to go as my upcoming project might also have me bringing a video camera, HDSLR, and two fluid head tripods (a lot of stuff).

The two gator cases I am looking at are:

http://altomusic.com/shop/Gator-GSR2UW- … d103218.am

http://www.gatorcases.com/p/123210-323/gr-studio2gow

I'm assuming they are not the same model but possibly the latter is an updated model. I'm not completely sure what the major differences are (aside from $10) other than one seems to have a removable handle and wheel accessory whereas the other model has the handle and wheels attached.

If anyone has any experience with either of these please let me know. Right now I am leaning towards the less expensive one with the removable handle and wheels accessory (which would almost seem more ideal and better considering I have the option of having it on or not).

I'll also check out the pelican case (I like their cases anyway).

THanks for the input and recommendation Mr. Lockwood!

Here's a "Pelican-like" case, made by Gator that will hold a Fireface 800 (gotta keep this discussion on topic):

http://www.gatorcases.com/p/216221-1935/gu-2014-08-wpdf

To me, it's a real oversight on the part of the Pelican folks, that they don't make more 19" wide cases in various depths, to hold all that rack mountable gear that I'd rather not rack mount.

Nevertheless, I still tend to favour a hard shelled case, over one of those fabric bag thingeys, mostly because when you are moving a bunch of equipment, you tend to want to stack it all and roll it on a dolly. When I go out to do a location recording, I'm taking anywhere between four and eleven cases of gear in various sizes. I was able to locate a local Mover's supply business, and bought myself a proper mover's four-wheeled dolly, with cushioned corners, etc. Now, any place with wheelchair access is just one, or at most two, trips in and out to the car.

Frank Lockwood
https://LockwoodARS.com
Fireface 800, Firmware 2.77
Drivers: Win10, 3.125; Mac, 3.36

I've never been a fan of these 'rolling' racks. The casters are too small, and vibrate stuff inside too much, when you go over bumps on the streat or badly paved parking lot, etc. As fl said, I like to use 4 wheel dolly with 'big' wheels, which is more suited to smoothen the roll. I use collapsible dolly from office supply shop, and put a air cusion that is used for backpacking and car camping. Then, pull these gator softbags, microphone cases (pelican style), bags for video cameras and lenses, then kind of roll up with bungee ropes. I know it doesn't look elegant, but protecting the gear is my primary interest. Very often, the total cost of the gears I bring to location recordings exceeds $10K, so I definitely want the best protection.