Topic: problem ucx firewire on macbookpro

Hi RME, i am having problems with my new UCX interface on a macbook pro i7 2,2 ghz 4 gb ram. It works only when connected with usb, but it seems it doesn't work when connected with firewire (if i choose the ucx as main audio device of the macbook, if i play an audio file there is no audio output from phones or analog outputs; also on ableton and cubase, ucx is detected but no audio on playback)

I am using a Belkin firewire cable 800/400, and i am sure it works fine and the firewire port of my macbookpro is ok as well, because i use also an maudio firewire 410 interface that works without problems with this connection.

When i use firewire on UCX i don't connect the powersupply and leave the switch on off position. I think that the firewire port of ucx is ok, because i don't have any problem on my PC (windows 7) with ucx connected by firewire.

So it could be a problem of firewire drivers on mac? I am using mac osx 10.7.5 and i have installed the last drivers both for usb and firewire.

thanks in advance for any support, best regards

Re: problem ucx firewire on macbookpro

Does it work if you connect the power supply and turn it on?

i have re installed the drivers, and now it works. I don't know what happens, i have installed the same drivers. =P

Today again it doesn't work. I don't know what happens.
I am also having problems with a motu midi interface and an access virus ti when my UCX is connected..

Are rme firewire drivers rock solid on Mountain Lion? I am considering to move to the new operative system at this point.

I can run the UCX on firewire bus power on my 2008 macbook (10.7.5). Although, according to specs, it really doesn't deliver the juice the UCX requires. Do you even run additional stuff on bus power? You never answered my first post btw ;-)

Yes i have tried with firewire and power supply connected (and the ucx switch on 'on' position). It didn't work, so i did a new install of the same drivers. Then it works. But today again no sound.

I did a clean installation of Mountain Lion(nothing installed). Then i have connected the ucx via firewire, i have plug the rme power supply, switch the icx on, turn on the macbookpro and installed the last firewire osx drivers (Fire Face_313_x86). After the reboot installation, all is ok, the ucx works.
Then i have turned off the macbook and the ucx, and wait about 1 minute. Then i have turned on ucx and macbook, and the ucx doesn't work any more (no sound, and wrong mixer settings).
Definitly there are some problems with ucx firewire drivers on osx...I have tested ucx via firewire on my pc with windows 7 and i didn't found any problem.
Any possible solution?

thanks in advance

Please check the firmware version of the UCX. If you need to update you have to use the USB drivers.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes i did the rme flash update via usb with success. This is one of the first thing i did when i ve received the ucx.

I am experiencing exact same problems with Spin on my mac book pro with the ucx.
I have been checking the forums and other comments on this problem.
It seems like there are other people having similar problems with their iMacs.
I have a new i7 iMac as well and will try with it soon and will post my findings here.
However, it looks like the fw chipset used in the new imacs and mac book pro do not seem to get along well.
So everybody is waiting for a fix from either apple or the manufacturer of that fw chipset driver now.

One guy found a get around solution on his iMac and others confirm this as well.
If you happen to have an external fw HD with two fw ports (like laccie), you can connect this drive to the fw800 of your iMac. Than connect the other port of the external HD to ucx. This workaround fixed the problem for some.

However, I have a new Western Digital external FW800 (dual ports) HD, called WD Studio.
I connected the drive to my Mac Book Pro via fw800 port and used the remaining fw800 port on the HD studio to connect ucx.
No Luck!

I will try this workaround on my iMac as well.

But As of now, I can not utilize my RME UCX firewire ports with either Macbook Pro or iMac.
That means I am not completely mobile!...