Topic: Onboard Firewire fine on AsusP9X79 2011 Intel X79 for Fireface UCX?

Hello,

I ordered the  Fireface UCX.
Is the onboard firewire usable on the mainboard: AsusP9X79 Sockel2011 8xDDR3 Intel X79

Thank you.

Regards

Re: Onboard Firewire fine on AsusP9X79 2011 Intel X79 for Fireface UCX?

Yes no problem in 2 years on UFX

That's great. Thank you.

May I ask:
What kind of latency do you get when you have say 5 vst instruments and 5 audio tracks?

Cheers

Latency is not a problem in Cubase7 if ju monitor  recordings in UFX.

I got it and I love it so far.
Have used USB with great success but now switch to firewire because there is so much on the USB bus I'm quite sure FW is beneficial.

Thanks for the support.

I got a BSOD (blue screen) several times a day with Firewire on this board and UFX (latest drivers). I even tried a PCIe card with a Texas chip and had the same problems. Changed to USB and noticed that performance on this MOBO is as good with USB as with firewire so I switched to USB and problem solved.

I have got a problem with the PCI Express Exsys 16450 on the Asus P9X79. With the card i have got a long eeee/looping on my Fireface 400. With the onboard VIA nothing. Why is it like that.

TRSmusic wrote:

I have got a problem with the PCI Express Exsys 16450 on the Asus P9X79. With the card i have got a long eeee/looping on my Fireface 400. With the onboard VIA nothing. Why is it like that.

If you're on Windows Vista/7, try switch to the legacy firewire driver in Device Manager.

Here are instructions on how to do it: http://kc.flexradio.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50433.aspx

Hope that helps smile

I have Windows 8 64bit but this http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=81012 is not perfect for me. Because I must allways start the PC in this unsigned mod.

But thank's for your Answer.

What does 'onboard VIA nothing' mean? Works or works not?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It works, when I chose the Onboard VIA.

And it works with a PCI Exsys 6450 Card.

> Why is it like that.

Then the simple answer to your question is: the current FireWire system driver of Windows 8 is not fully compatible to the Exsys 16450. This might get solved later by MS updating their driver, or by Exsys releasing a special Windows 8 driver. Or never.

I would like to know what exact chip is used on that Exsys card, thanks.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

> Why is it like that.

Then the simple answer to your question is: the current FireWire system driver of Windows 8 is not fully compatible to the Exsys 16450. This might get solved later by MS updating their driver, or by Exsys releasing a special Windows 8 driver. Or never.

I would like to know what exact chip is used on that Exsys card, thanks.

Could I suggest perhaps having a sticky for known firewire cards + chipsets that work on the various RME devices that use firewire?  Perhaps other hardware specs can be supplied too by users.

I know there are known configurations that do work with Win7/8 without the legacy driver, but it's quite a gamble for some of us to buy and try cards.  For instance, here, I can only source a small variety of brands and not all shops allow you to just return things if they've been opened.

I'm more than willing to maintain the thread should it be a benefit and you guys don't have the time.

I also think that at least 2 configuration should be posted that work perfectly for firewire on windows 7 and windows 8.

In most cases a new motherboard and firewire PCIe card is a very low investment compared to all the other stuff.

Having an official recommendation would help a lot.

--

But I'd like to state that I'm still on onboard USB and it worked stable for me. I will not change anything.

Cheers.