Topic: 5.1 monitoring in Babyface

Newbie here - I'm hopefully about to purchase a Babyface, following a friend lending me his unit for a trial.  Really impressive!  The multi-client driver is a godsend.

Mostly I'll be working in stereo, but looking forward I'll be doing some 5.1 work.  Monitoring of course is important here, and level adjustments must be made across multiple outputs simultaneously as a basic requirement. From searching, I see I can fader group several outputs so the monitoring for all 6 speakers is controlled by the main knob - this is a great start.  It's a shame, however, that the dim / talkback functions aren't available across all the outputs.

So I guess this is a feature request.  As I say, I'm new, so I may be missing something / not approaching it in the right way, but what would seem to be a very useful feature would be to assign the MAIN output to more than one destination (including ADAT outputs).  That would be a more elegant and practical solution for working in 5.1.

Greatful for your feedback - many thanks.

Re: 5.1 monitoring in Babyface

Just link the hardware output faders of all 6 channels.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias - as I said in the post, I understand the linking the faders, but that won't make the other monitoring facilities (dim, talkback) work.

Correct. For the forseeable future we will not have a full surround-capable Control Room section. That is usually handled by the DAW software, we do not see this as priority for typical TM FX usage.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthais - respectfully, I disagree, for two main reasons.

1.  There's no logical difference between monitoring in Stereo vs  Surround.  If the Babyface is useful as a monitoring tool (and the features in stereo are excellent), it is equally useful in surround.  Any DAW-features do not have hardware attached, so are nowhere near as useful.

2.  It is not always true that surround monitoring is provided the DAW anyway.  While Cubase and Pyramix both have monitoring sections, Pro Tools does not for example.

Obviously if I am the only person in the world who would find a good surround monitoring useful, especially since there appears to be almost no alternative except Steinberg's soundcard for Cubase, then you can easily disregard my request.  I'd find it hard to accept I was the only person who would find it useful, however, so I'd urge you to reconsider this feature request.

6 (edited by JohanW 2013-02-05 17:31:08)

Hi!
I seccond the request for full surround monitor capabilities. This is the only thing stoping me from buying a UFX for my Pro Tools rigg.
I you make a Total Mix iPad och Android app I will buy two ;-)

Regards
Johan

I would also welcome surround capabilities native to TM FX.