Topic: How can i run my FF400 with a brand new Windows 8 laptop? no firewire!

How can i run my FF400 with a brand new Windows 8 laptop that has no firewire port?!?!
laptops don't have firewire any more, and i keep hearing that FF400 won't work with W8 anyway.

This is insane, i just bought my FF400 a few years ago and now it's un-usable?!?!? $$$$ down the drain?!

can i simply get a firewire to USB adaptor?

what are the solutions?!

thanks! smile

Re: How can i run my FF400 with a brand new Windows 8 laptop? no firewire!

You can still get notebooks with Firewire.  For instance, my Thinkpad T520 has one.  Although it's a Ricoh chipset, haven't used it with the FF400. 

You should have checked before buying the notebook smile

Anyway, you probably want something like this:
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/fw800 … ard34.html
I'm not sure which one would be best, perhaps someone here can suggest a particular card?

You cannot convert firewire into USB, that's not possible.  Also keep in mind Windows 8 and firewire is a tricky beast, so your milage may vary.

looks like i'm sellin' the fireface sad

any takers?

p.s. fireface... i really loved ya. you sound great!

caseyforever wrote:

looks like i'm sellin' the fireface sad

any takers?

p.s. fireface... i really loved ya. you sound great!

Your laptop doesn't have any expresscard slots?

nope, nor are the trends headed that way. they are being phased out as well. hmm
ed:

and now apple wants us to invest in 'thunderbolt'?!?! hahahah good lord i hate apple.

someone suggested "well you could buy a mac" haaaaaaaaaaahahaha. would rather chew off my own arm. smile

Look for refurbished or mint HP Elitebook on Ebay, 8500, 8700 series with w at the end of model number. There are bunch of i7 models. They have an expresscard slot, and I believe FW with TI chip. Or, buy USB interface like RME UC/UCX. New HP Elitebook is sold with Win 8, but downgradable to Win 7. Sounds like Vista, downgradable to XP.

New Asus Notebooks w Thunderbolt looks useful.

Amazingly i found a high end laptop that by some fluke has firewire. i'm actually buying a crazy Sager through xoticpc. the Sager N9170. you can customize what you want in it.

still, in reviews of it everyone was surprised or even confused to see a firewire port (the smaller port size) and they refer to it as 'legacy' technology... meaning it's from the past.

this fireface (using Apple's "firewire") is the only time i've invested in Apple technology and the last time i will.
Ironically i had to buy the fireface because apogee quit supporting windows drivers - they only develop for mac. sad.

i'll get to use my fireface a few more years and then that will be it. smile
recently i started running my apogee mini-me through the fireface via the S/PDIF and it's amazing! the mini-me does sound better on my voice than the fireface but only a little.
they're colored differently i guess.

alright... crisis averted for the moment. RME now develops for USB (3 i assume?) as we look forward.

Just make sure you get something that can take an addon FW card should you find the onboard FW doesn't like the RME, some chipsets seem to work fine, others do not, it's a firewire roulette in Windows 8 since there's no legacy driver to fall back on...