1 (edited by PPike 2013-02-10 16:26:51)

Topic: HDSPe AES solution setup

Hi

I'm interested in buying a PCIe solution from RME to my home studio.
I have only used firewire earlier, so I need some help understanding how PCIe cards are used.
I have made a sketch with a HDSPe AES solution, but have some questions.
http://www.geddakonsult.se/AES32-QuadMic.gif

Do I have to buy a monitor/headphone control unit (such as M Patch 2), or can I connect directly into the BOB32 unit and use the software to adjust volume and select channel?
Is there a MIDI cable included?
Is there anyway to expand this solution to 16 in-channels (running 2 cards?, expansion card? etc.) (pity there isn't a ADAT port)

Thanks in advance for any help
Regads Peter

2 (edited by Masaaki 2013-02-10 17:24:53)

Re: HDSPe AES solution setup

BOB32 is basically a breakout box for AES cabling, and it's not AD/DA converter.
What you are missing is AD and DA converters, because HDSPe AES is an interface that passes 'digitized' data to and from computer. You need an AD converter between Quadmic and BOB32, and a DA converter between monitors and BOB32. And yes, you can use software (Total Mix) to control monitoring volume, but most of the people use controllers (that is placed after DA converter).

Manual should state MIDI breakout cable, but I believe it's included with the card.
As to 16ch-in solution, each AES carries 2ch stereo signal, so if you connect HDSPe AES with BOB32 using two cables (port 1-8, and port 9-16) you already have 16ch inputs.

Thank you for your answer.

But now I am confused. Isn't the 25 pin D-sub cable carrying 4 in + 4 out analog data to the card where the AD - DA converters are?

/Peter

4 (edited by Masaaki 2013-02-10 18:39:55)

No, 25pin D-sub cable is carrying 'digital' data, not analog data.

So, you need to add AD/DA converters, such as ADI-8 QS in your figure.

ADI-8 QS is a AD/DA converters in one unit (similar units from Mytek 8x192, Lynx Aurora 8), but you can also use separate AD converter (such as Lavry 4496-7) and DA converter (such as Lavry 4497-11).

AES based 16ch system gets quite pricey (easily more than $10k), and I'm not sure why you want for home studio. Are you opening a commercial studio at home?

No not commercial, but I would like to be able to record a live band with drums and various instruments.

Maybe I'd be better off choosing the RayDAT card where I can connect 2 * 8 channel preamp using 44,1 Khz ADAT.

Well, Ill have to go back to the drawing board and make another sketch. Thanks for your help.

6 (edited by Masaaki 2013-02-10 19:43:09)

RayDAT + 2x ADAT 8ch pre-AD/DA converter units (such as RME Octamic II, or Focusrite Octopre, etc) will be significantly less money, and perfect for such applications. AES solution is considered as 'premium' line, as the thread category says.