Topic: HDSP 9652 and Digimax LTs and D8

Hi there, so I've grown frustrated with my Delta 1010s and decided to rebuild my DAW after collecting some new gear.  I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and Cubase 6.5.  I was running 3 Delta 1010's for 24 channels simultaneous recording but the new motherboard only had two PCI slots and I was using the 3rd Delta with a PCIe to PCI bridge and it has been unstable ever since.  I just picked up the RME HDSP 9652 and was going to pull the Delta's and start over.  Since we do a lot of live recording, I use an Allen & Heath Mixwizard 16 analog mixer for the live sound.  It has direct outs going into two of the Delta's with TRS cables and I have a Digimax D8 (for drum mics) with TRS outs going into the third Delta 1010.  So I am looking for the bes configuration and was thinking of...

16 mics into the Allen & Heath board.  TRS direct outs from the A&H to the two Digimax LTs.  Lightpipe into the RME 9652.
8 mics into the Digimax D8 and lightpipe into the RME 9652.

The question is monitoring and getting audio back out of the DAW.  I also have a Presonus Firestudio 2626 sitting on the shelf and not sure how to integrate.  Anyway, some thought and ideas are appreciated.  It's unfortunate when you have a rig that has been working and make some upgrades just to find yourself starting over, but I hear good things about RME and want to maximize the gear I have.  Thanks in advance for any help, advice and replies.

Re: HDSP 9652 and Digimax LTs and D8

So, how about using Firestudio 2626 instead of Digimax D8?

I think FS2626 has lightpipe inputs, so it should work as stand alone 16ch DA, @44.1/48, and headphone amp as well?
The only thing you need to figure out is to connect FS2626 to your PC and configure lightpipe input to analog outs and headphone outs.

I use HDSP9632 with M-Audio Profire 2626, and basically use Profire as AD/DA, so it should work.

Good point.  The FS2626 has two lightpipe ins and two lightpipe outs.  Thanks.

4 (edited by jackyloup 2017-01-31 18:12:04)

Hi Guys. I have 2 Firestudio units sitting around. I like XMAX pres for raw input. If you ever managed to get FS2626  work with HDSP9652 please let me know. I also have one Profire 2626. All I ever need is 4-5  inputs with single monitor mix

many thanks Jackie

Hi, just to follow up on the recent post, I've had great success with the RME 9652.  I ran all mics into an Allen & Heath Mixwizard 16:3 and took the direct outs into two Digimax LT's and then adat out into the RME 9652.  I ran the drum kit into the Digimax D8 and then adat into the RME 9652.  So I had all 24 channels going.  I ended up connecting the 2626 via firewire to my PC DAW for the audio output.  Everything was clocked together via BNC cables with a Lucid Word Clock.  More recently I picked up a Behringer X32 (full console) an X32 Rack and S16 and S32 digital snakes.  I've been contemplating selling the A&H Mixwizard, rack of EQ's, and outboard gear ACP88 compressor (which was sometimes flakey) and MPX110 Delay along with the RME 9652 card and the 2 Digimax LTs, D8 and 2626 and just going USB from the X32 into Cubase.  It works great live and I've gotten some really great mixes and recordings.  I'm currently recording 44.1 which is same for X32 (and it has RTA, compressors and effects and EQs etc all built in).  Kind of crazy how far this has all come.  My other option is to keep the RME 9652 and just use the S16 adat outs into the RME.  I could also bypass the X32 pres and use the Digimax LTs and run them into the X32.  Lots of options, but unless I update the RME 9652 I'll only have the 24 channels where the X32 via usb gets me 32 in and 16 outs.  Hmmm.

6 (edited by jackyloup 2017-01-31 21:04:09)

Great Stuff! I been looking at S16 for a long time. I hate nothing more than clutter. S16 would be great but still need a unit with Line ins Or Combo Jacks. I can not run my avalon 737 through a mic preamp because of the impedance.. Other than that is great about S16

I figure the FS2626 did not work if not synced via FW. I asked presonus to clarify but no answer yet. I would like to have inputs that do not require permanent connection via firewire. I hate to depend on firewire sync during the sessions  for two reasons. latency and session drops, that is why i moved to RME in the first place..