Topic: Fireface 800 Midi In Lights up but no Midi messages received

Hi there,

I'm running a Fireface 800 on Windows 7.
Driver Version: 3.069
Hardware Revision: 2.77

I've got a midi controller keyboard connected via the MIDI IN port, and the LED for the MIDI/I flashes with the active sensing signal, and when I play the keys you see the LED light up with each keystroke. Unfortunately, none of my software can see the midi messages. I've used MIDI-OX to monitor MIDI Port Activity, it has Fireface Midi Port 1 listed as an input but there's no activity on any channels when I press the keys.

Have I missed something? It seems like this should just work, but maybe I have to route something to something else in the Fireface Mixer?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: Fireface 800 Midi In Lights up but no Midi messages received

It should just work. Ok not very helpful, but at least you know something is wrong. As always first thing to try is a cold reboot. Other then that I have no ideas yet. Does the audio work 100%?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Yeah the audio works just fine. I'm about to try reflashing the firmware, maybe something got a bit screwed up.

Just an update - firmware reflashed, and still no joy.

I have an old m-audio delta audiophile 2496 PCI card with a breakout cable for midi, and I've just connected midi through that. It's working fine. Something weird's going on with the fireface 800 midi. I suppose I have a workaround but I'd like to know why it's not happening.

I'm having this problem as well. I think that it may have started when I did the 3.14 update but I'm not certain.

The midi light comes on as soon as I power up my keyboard, but no messages come through. The light stays solid. No activity comes through on the FF or in Logic.

OSX 10.8.2, 2008 8 Core Mac

I've tested both midi ports with the same result.

After reseating the OEM midi adapter cable in back of the RME for the third or fourth time, midi messages finally started coming through. It is a little wiggly even when fully plugged in, so maybe something has come loose on the hardware there. Well, problem solved on my end. I can live with a jiggly cable for a couple more years wink

So you are not using a Fireface  800 (what this thread is about). The adapter cable can be ordered and maybe it is time for a new one.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME