Topic: Fireface UFX goes Class Compliant!

You knew it, you expected it, and you get it: full iPad operation with the world's most exciting audio interface - the UFX!

Let me introduce this feature with a few comments. When RME entered the iOS world with the UCX one year ago, we first thought it might be a bit too expensive for the typical iPad user. It would be better to have the Babyface working with the iPad, but - as many know - at that time we didn't even know ourselves that it would be possible to do that. So the UCX volunteered and the response was huuuge. Despite its higher price point people started to love the new possibilities. At the same time all the software gurus writing nice apps for this platform started to update their apps for multichannel usage and think more seriously about it than ever before. Many of them own a UCX (surprise).

The UCX was the hardware needed to turn the iPad into a professional recording tool, digital audio workstation, multichannel capable player and more. Since then we see one new app after the other, slowly starting to use the existing potential (including 96 kHz 24 bit and lots of I/O channels).

Still there are people that either never heard of all this or completely miss the point. For them this is all a 'toy'. Nothing serious. What it obviously needs to change this view is a real pro interface, a top unit with reference quality, that can put all this into a totally different light, making the people think again:

Hey, a UFX, and it runs 22 channels in and out of an iPad  yikes

And this is what we do! And there is more to come! smile

Note that DURec works with the iPad as under Windows and Mac. It will proof to be a life saver as well as the best exernal feature an iPad ever got (at least for us audio trackies).

Please read the info papers on Class Compliant operation of the UFX:

Info english/german
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/cc_mode_ufx_e.pdf
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/cc_mode_ufx_de.pdf

Firmware update for Class Compliant mode Windows/Mac
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fut_usb_win.zip
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fut_usb_mac.zip

Have fun!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Fireface UFX goes Class Compliant!

Wow! great work :-) Thank you!

I am very glad with this update! Thanks RME!

FF Ufx / BF / FF 800 / MF

Looked every day this week in forum - finally it´s there. Thank you very much!!

I'm a new owner of the UFX and so impressed with RME and the interface! Thanks!

Fantastic!  Can't wait to try it. Thanks!

!! This !! What I've been waiting for since the UCX came out big_smile Once again you prove that you're far ahead of your competitors.

Mats Helgesson
http://www.livingsound.se

I re-uploaded the english pdf because in chapter 6 some sentences still referenced to the UCX. Please download again if you downloaded before this post was published.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

One billion thums up!!!!

although...I don't have an iPad...is that a problem?

this is Spartaaa!!! Thank you RME! You're the best!

now Animoog sounds like it should from the beginning...

Masaaki wrote:

...I don't have an iPad...

Neither do I yet (my wife does, but I don't want to know about it because she will then ask me for help all the time instead of learning for herself ... I'm an Apple avoider so far).

So I have to ask someone else to be sure - in UFX CC mode, is it possible to run OSC control program for mixing (MIDI) and DAW apps (USB Audio) over the USB link simultaneously?  Does iOS 6 support the two programs running at once?  (Where is the book "iPad for Dummies"?)

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

Masaaki wrote:

It will be a problem for you when you see the final state :-P

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

panatrope wrote:
Masaaki wrote:

...I don't have an iPad...

Neither do I yet (my wife does, but I don't want to know about it because she will then ask me for help all the time instead of learning for herself ... I'm an Apple avoider so far).

So I have to ask someone else to be sure - in UFX CC mode, is it possible to run OSC control program for mixing (MIDI) and DAW apps (USB Audio) over the USB link simultaneously?  Does iOS 6 support the two programs running at once?  (Where is the book "iPad for Dummies"?)

Greetings to the other side of the world!

The available modes in the UFX are exclusive. And iOS is - in many regards - exclusive as well, especially when it comes to multitasking. So you can't use an OSC app and DAW app at the same time, but you can quickly switch between them. And the book you mentioned indeed exists in multiple issues in any book store on this planet ;-)

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

...the book you mentioned indeed exists in multiple issues in any book store on this planet ;-)

I need the Aussie edition - "iPad for Drongoes".

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

I've been waiting for this day since the UCX unveiled it's CC mode.
Thanks Matthias and the RME team for making this possible.

MC wrote:
Masaaki wrote:

What a teaser! What do you have up your sleeve? HeadScratch

RME Fireface UFX
Mac Mini 2.6 GHz 16 GB Ram Areca RAID | MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz 16 GB Ram | OS 10.10.5

Oh yes, it works. Brilliantly. Animoog sound better than ever... dammit. Now I gotta buy myself another UFX.

Mats Helgesson
http://www.livingsound.se

MC wrote:
Masaaki wrote:

HeadScratch:-O

Wow.. This is awesome!

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

Amazing!!! Would the UFX provide power to the ipad?

21 (edited by Eric Bradley 2013-02-20 23:24:32)

tzigularov wrote:

Would the UFX provide power to the ipad?

No! Not as long as you're using Camera Connection Kit from Apple to connect the iPad to your UFX.
You won't be to charge the iPad at the same time. The Camera Connector was designed to power a USB-key and power only moves through it from the iPad out not vice versa.

RME Fireface UFX
Mac Mini 2.6 GHz 16 GB Ram Areca RAID | MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz 16 GB Ram | OS 10.10.5

Perfect! Good job RME. the question now is: does the class compliant firmware take away from the DSP resources for the FX, EQ and Dynamics in TMFX?

FF UFX - ARC - U87Ai - 828Mk3 Hybrid - Digimax FS - Tascam MH8 - MIDI Express 128, 24GB RAM, i7-3630

Not at all.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Great news!
Now what is really missing is a special cable that allow to charge the iPad (obviously avoiding the cck).
Other brand can do it (apogee, alesis, tascam, etc.) why can't rme?
In a professional live environment you can't cancel a show because someone forgot to charge the iPad! :-)

In a professional live environment, noone forgets to charge the iPad wink Its a problem with apple usb limitations, nothing that RME can do here...Apogee&Co. use a (in my eyes inferior) different approach. Took me about 6h to deplete the ipad battery, this will suffice - just ensure to turn wifi off.

26 (edited by Balla 2013-02-21 12:17:51)

I think there is nothing to do with the approach... I think it's something related to the CCK that tells to the iPad to power the external "USB pen" blocking the incoming power supply.
I read about tests with custom Y cables/connectors... Everything works but as soon as you connect the CCK it stops to charge.
I suppose that with a custom direct cable it is possible. Or maybe not? Can we have an official answer?

I'm new to this forum... Sorry to introduce myself like this, but I'm a potential new RME user and I'd like to know if this is planned and/or will ever be possible :-)
Thank you in advance.

Great that UFX supports this interface. Will the Fireface UC get this functionality too?

Sorry, not possible for the UC.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

29 (edited by neirbod 2013-02-21 17:10:38)

Balla wrote:

In a professional live environment you can't cancel a show because someone forgot to charge the iPad! :-)

While agree it would be nice if the UFX could charge the iPad, in my professional environment I: 1) charge my iPad, and 2) have a two spare power cables in my bag to plug into my power strip.  You can always recharge during a set break, intermission etc.  If you are cancelling a show because you did not pack a separate power cable then you may want to rethink your rig!

I'm a professional musician and I'm working in very professional environments... cancel the show is not an option, it was just a joke :-)

In my main tour right now, for multitrack sequences, we're using a MacBook Pro + SoundTrack Pro + MOTU Traveler mk3 (very solid and reliable setup)

I read that the latest update of Auria can manage multiple outputs and my idea was to (slowly) change the setup with iPad + Auria + UFX (or UCX)

If the "charge thing" is planned (or at least if it is possible) we can buy the RME instead of the MOTU and we can have a double setup (Mac + iPad) for a while.
If it is not planned/possible we'll stay with the MOTU or we'll buy the Apogee Quartet.

If you think about it... actually, there are a lot of scenarios where you might need to charge the iPad during the use, but I'm not here to argue :-)

We start the tour in april so we need to organize things now.
An official answer will be very appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Countdown to a product that is the camera connection type kit with a simultaneous charging capability in it starts....NOW!

Balla wrote:

I'm a professional musician and I'm working in very professional environments... cancel the show is not an option, it was just a joke :-)

In my main tour right now, for multitrack sequences, we're using a MacBook Pro + SoundTrack Pro + MOTU Traveler mk3 (very solid and reliable setup)

I read that the latest update of Auria can manage multiple outputs and my idea was to (slowly) change the setup with iPad + Auria + UFX (or UCX)

If the "charge thing" is planned (or at least if it is possible) we can buy the RME instead of the MOTU and we can have a double setup (Mac + iPad) for a while.
If it is not planned/possible we'll stay with the MOTU or we'll buy the Apogee Quartet.

If you think about it... actually, there are a lot of scenarios where you might need to charge the iPad during the use, but I'm not here to argue :-)

We start the tour in april so we need to organize things now.
An official answer will be very appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

I agree that ensuring the iPad is charged is not the best solution for live performances, and I would also love to hear an official answer/opinion whether this is hardware prohibitive, or if only the cable is the issue whether such cable is in the plans.  I switched from Apogee to RME gear a year ago and have had a great experience.  I also understand that CC mode on the UFX is an unexpected FREE bonus to us so thank you for that, RME!

does class compliance mean it will work on Android devices also or is it just iPad ?

Congratulations to the world leader RME ! !

I assume that CC means both DURec and iPad .wav file recording?

ebulb wrote:

does class compliance mean it will work on Android devices also or is it just iPad ?

http://www.gizmag.com/extream-app-usb-a … oid/25907/

SoundHound wrote:

Congratulations to the world leader RME ! !

I assume that CC means both DURec and iPad .wav file recording?

Yes! :-)

RME Fireface UFX

Max wrote:
ebulb wrote:

http://www.gizmag.com/extream-app-usb-a … oid/25907/

Nice link! But the truth about Android and USB audio seems to be a bit more complicated. According to the german computer magazine c't (issue 5/2013) USB Audio and its Host mode usually fail because the manufacturer of the tablet (as well as phone) don't provide the necessary drivers. The article includes a list of 20 current Android devices, where just a single one (HTC One X) supports audio via USB! All the others have limited support for either USB Host, external memory (read/write, couldn't believe that) and peripherals (mouse/keys). Missing USB audio support was stated for Asus Transformer Pad Infinity, Google Galaxy Nexus 10, 4 and 7, Kindle Fire and Fire HD, Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy Note, Note 10.1, Tab 10.1, amongst others.

That doesn't look to me as if Android is going anywhere regarding pro audio support...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Balla wrote:

My apologies.  I did think about it, and you are correct.  I'll blame lack of sufficient coffee for my previous comment.  :roll  Charging between sets etc. is at best an inefficient solution that may not be an option at all for longer sessions.

slickslack wrote:

Countdown to a product that is the camera connection type kit with a simultaneous charging capability in it starts....NOW!

This would indeed be a great addition to an iPad/UFX based recording rig.  Can RME or anyone else say whether such a cable is possible?  Even better is if one could have a single cable that connects directly from the iPad to the UFX without using a camera kit plus a separate cable.  The fewer connections to hook up the better!

ebulb wrote:

This works perfectly (android/Babyface in cc mode)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … ecorderpro

There is a link explaining what devices are known working/tested and a free demo to test.
Currently only stereo recording, but multichannel is working in beta.

_

RME HDSP9652 | | RME Digiface USB

neirbod wrote:
Balla wrote:

My apologies.  I did think about it, and you are correct.  I'll blame lack of sufficient coffee for my previous comment.  :roll  Charging between sets etc. is at best an inefficient solution that may not be an option at all for longer sessions.

slickslack wrote:

This would indeed be a great addition to an iPad/UFX based recording rig.  Can RME or anyone else say whether such a cable is possible?  Even better is if one could have a single cable that connects directly from the iPad to the UFX without using a camera kit plus a separate cable.  The fewer connections to hook up the better!

Fewer connections of course is better. As I said before... other brands do this, why not RME?
BTW I can accept the CCK, USB Hubs and even to solder some custom cable at home to achieve the final result...
Still waiting for an official answer. Is this will ever be possible with the UCX/UFX?

1. As far as the world knows the iPad itself prevents charging in USB audio CC mode (with CCK). Instead it powers the externally connected devices. No cables exist that circumvent this behavior.

2. Other solutions need(ed) a changed hardware/extra connector, so the UCX/UFX will never do that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

garry wrote:
ebulb wrote:

This works perfectly (android/Babyface in cc mode)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … ecorderpro

There is a link explaining what devices are known working/tested and a free demo to test.
Currently only stereo recording, but multichannel is working in beta.

You did not click on the link in post 35, and ignored my comments in post 37.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

43 (edited by ebulb 2013-02-27 08:29:02)

MC wrote:

That doesn't look to me as if Android is going anywhere regarding pro audio support...

Does being class compliant make the UFX compatible to work on Android though if more of those devices end up supporting USB audio ? Also does class compliance mean it could work on other platforms/devices like Linux etc ? or is it only beneficial if you have an iPad ? Im curious about the extent of benefits from being class compliant..

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_support_tech … fo_cc_mode

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

45 (edited by ebulb 2013-02-27 10:39:53)

so if there is an Android tablet out there right now that support USB audio the UFX should work on it correct ? Im wondering has anyone tried one yet ?

MC wrote:

1. As far as the world knows the iPad itself prevents charging in USB audio CC mode (with CCK). Instead it powers the externally connected devices. No cables exist that circumvent this behavior.

2. Other solutions need(ed) a changed hardware/extra connector, so the UCX/UFX will never do that.

Thank you for your clear answer.

47 (edited by garry 2013-02-27 14:02:23)

ebulb wrote:

so if there is an Android tablet out there right now that support USB audio the UFX should work on it correct ? Im wondering has anyone tried one yet ?

I use a babyface & 2 working tablets the nexus 7 & Motorola xoom with USB audio recorder pro.
Advantage with the xoom is you can charge at the same time as it uses a different slot for the charger.
The nexus 7 charges via USB so like the iPad you cannot charge at the same time.

As mc says android itself doesn't have the driver, so far only USB recorder pro supports this as the developer wrote a custom driver.
While android is light years ahead of ios in most ways.. Audio is definitely lacking. But I'm sure it will get there:)

A list of tested devices
http://www.extreamsd.com/USBAudioRecorderPRO/

Garry

_

RME HDSP9652 | | RME Digiface USB

MC wrote:

Not the answer I wanted to hear, but I am not surprised. Thanks for clarifying, Matthias.

ebulb wrote:
MC wrote:

Does being class compliant make the UFX compatible to work on Android though if more of those devices end up supporting USB audio ? Also does class compliance mean it could work on other platforms/devices like Linux etc ? or is it only beneficial if you have an iPad ? Im curious about the extent of benefits from being class compliant..

The bugfix in the Linux ALSA driver which enables the support for RMEs CC mode is now part
of the latest maintainance releases of the mainline kernels v3.0,v3.2,v3.4,v3.7.
So in theory this should show up in Android sooner or later.
However depends of course if the USB audio driver is included at all in Androids kernel.
I guess the usual CustomROMs will have it much earlier.
This said you should keep in mind that RMEs CC mode is right now very restricted!
There is no mixer support at all which in particular means that no direct monitoring is possible. 

Michael

This thread is about the UFX. You can control everything directly at the display of the unit (or via the Advanced Remote Control). The mixer is in hardware so doesn't need to be supported, and direct monitoring of course does work.

In case you meant 'there is no easy control of the currently active direct monitoring with Babyface/UCX' - yes. With UFX (this thread) there is.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME