Topic: UFX issue w stopping playback after upgrade to OSX 10.7.4

Dear RME Support,

I'm not sure if anyone was reporting any issues after upgrading to OSX 10.7.4. Anyway since then my UFX started to stop playback randomly from various applications (games: Bejeweled 3, Portal 2; iTunes, and other CoreAudio things like Korg Audiogate).
It looks like a sound stops to play and TotalMix and FirefaceUSB Settings both crash then I'm unable to run them until a system reboot. UFX however is still responding from its hardware panel and it sees USB connection.
I'm not sure if this is related with 10.7.4 Lion update however I'm using the interface since half a year and have never experienced such things before.
Now since last 2 days it happened like about 10 times (it seems that it is more likely when UFX is in 192kHz mode but I cannot guarantee that this doesn't occur in lower frequency modes since it is very random and hard to be reproduced twice under exactly the same circumstances).

Here's the setup:
iMac i7 3.4GHz
16GB RAM
OSX 10.7.4
Fireface UFX firmware:352 driver 1.67 connected via USB
TotalMix 0.97 RC2

Please help...

Cheers,
Rafal

Re: UFX issue w stopping playback after upgrade to OSX 10.7.4

Current driver is 1.69.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Matthias,

Thanks. It seems I missed the 1.69 release. I will check and report on the behaviour.

All the best,
Rafal

Unfortunately crashing persists (TotalMix crashes or kernel panic) with 1.69 and 352/150/341 firmware.
It seems that it doesn't happen in 48kHz or lower (or the probability is lower). Now I'm removing all unnecessary services and trying to reproduce the issue...

Now I'm guessing that the issue maybe somehow related with: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=14573
My UFX started to repeat system sounds several times from Skype when clocked above 48 kHz and maybe that's somehow related with TotalMix crashing... Just a clue to investigate... I stopped to use Skype and stopped routing all system sounds through UFX...
Will see if it helped.

Now 4 hours without a crash, but also without system sounds of any kind...

Unfortunately issues are still there ;( even without system sounds routed...

Please try driver 1.70, which includes improvements for double and quad speed under 10.7.4:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dr … ac_170.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks RME,

I'm trying the driver now!...

Cheers,
Rafal

No hangs since yesterday but I will continue tests in the beginning of the next week.

Cheers,
Rafal

ps. RME is for me a synonym of perfect support

MC wrote:

Please try driver 1.70, which includes improvements for double and quad speed under 10.7.4:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dr … ac_170.zip

This driver fixes this problem, but SPDIF OUT (AC3 PASSTHROUGH, with Plex or XBMC/OPTICAL OUT) connected to Home Theater (AC3/DOLBY DIGITAL) shown noise in Totalmix SPIDIF CHANNEL, and sounds noisy in ANALOG CHANNEL OUT. If you select 0.0 Gain in SPDIF OUT and 0.0 in SPDIF application (Plex) Playback, The sound in Home Theater is Good, but if you change de Gain is Noisy. In MacOSX Lion 10.7.3, CD rme driver or 1.69 version, work GREAT with SPIDIF (AC3 PASSTHROUGH). Sorry for my bad English.

In Spanish:

Este "driver" corrige ese problema, pero la Salida SPDIF (reproducciendo através de Plex o XBMC, en modo AC3/OPTICO), y conectado a un "Home Theater" (en modo AC3/DOLBY DIGITAL) muestra ruido en la Salida del canal SPDIF, y suena ruidoso en las salidas analógicas. Si seleccionamos 0.0 de ganancia en la Salida SPDIF y en el Canal de reproducción de la aplicación (Plex, etc), suena BIEN a través del "Home Cinema", pero si modificamos la ganancia se torna ruidoso incluso en el propio "Home Cinema". Esto antes no ocurría en la version 10.7.3 de MacOSX, con ninguno de los controladores probados.

My interface is Babyface (Firmware version: v185)

You can not change the level of an AC3 signal in Totalmix. This will destroy the encoded data.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

13 (edited by Resaca 2012-05-20 00:17:24)

RME Support wrote:

You can not change the level of an AC3 signal in Totalmix. This will destroy the encoded data.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Ok, but before it worked better. In version 10.7.3 with the 1.69 driver, this did not happen. Now I have to mute the analog output by noise. No matter, if I change the gain or not. The sound in the previous version was automatically converted into analog (in analog channels), and at the same time, SPDIF OUT broadcasts the Digital Signals passthrough in silence (analog channels).

But I worry that the digital signal damages any analog component. Is there any way to stop monitoring it in Totalmix, and avoid having to constantly mute the signal to the main speakers?. Note that only in this way I can play that kind of sound at the same time. Again this did not happen before.

Please check the above, before answering. smile Thank you. Cheers.

in Spanish:

Ok, pero antes funcionaba mejor. En la version 10.7.3 con el driver 1.69, no ocurria esto. Ahora tengo que mutear la salida analogica por el ruido. Indistintamente, si cambio la ganancia o no. El sonido en la anterior version era convertido en analogico automaticamente (in analog channels), y seguia emitiendo en Digital atraves del Spdif Out.

No obstante me preocupa que esa señal digital, dañe algun componente analogico. ¿Hay alguna manera de que deje de monitorizarla en Totalmix, y evitar tener que mutear constantemente la señal hacia los altavoces principales?. Cuenta que de esta forma unicamente puedo reproducir ese tipo de sonido al mismo tiempo. Repito esto antes no ocurria.

RME Support wrote:

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hello, I'm back to version 10.7.3 and same thing happens. Maybe I'm wrong. But it would be good to avoid digital noise in the analog out channels. Excuse me. Thank you.

Dear RME,

There's still something wrong here. I've switched now to Firewire connection since it seems to have something with USB (keyboard hangs). We'll see. I will keep you updating...

16 (edited by Resaca 2012-05-26 22:03:33)

Resaca wrote:
RME Support wrote:

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hello, I'm back to version 10.7.3 and same thing happens. Maybe I'm wrong. But it would be good to avoid digital noise in the analog out channels. Excuse me. Thank you.

I solved my problem. Now I can play analog sound and SPDIF AC3 passthrough sound at the same time without noise (at 48000hz both).

I edited the "Midi configuration" (UTILITY):

Click in "+" buttom ---) click in aggregate device. Mark only your babyface.

CLICK ON AGREGGATE DEVICE!, edit "Speakers Out" (stereo configuration), with SPDIF channels (mark ADAT 1-8 choose channels 5-6 respectly).

CLICK ON BABYFACE DEVICE!, BABYFACE MUST BE EDITED WITH ANALOG CHANNELS 1-2 (SPEAKERS OUT/STEREO).

Edit the name of "Agreggate device" (for example: SPDIF DIGITAL OUT).

Sorry for my bad English. :)

The default device must be BABYFACE (ANALOG 1/2 CHANNELS).

Now in Plex application, configuration, system, audio output and select OPTICAL/DIGITAL, select the device "SPDIF DIGITAL OUT" (agreggate device).

In totalmix AS1/2 OUTPUT always at 0.0 of gain and routing the playback channel AS1/2 (ONLY THIS CHANNEL) at 0.0 of gain.

In totalmix AS1/2 PLAYBACK MUST BE CLOSED ON AN1/2(MAIN) OUTPUT CHANNEL FOR AC3 PASSTROUGH CONFIGURATION (DIGITAL NOISE OFF). and FOR LPCM OPEN THIS CHANNEL ON MAIN OUTPUT (DIGITAL NOISE ON).

Enjoy your HOME CINEMA 5.1 DOLBY DIGITAL.

NOTE: FOR AC3+/DOLBY DIGITAL PLUS, YOUR HOME CINEMA MUST BE AC3+ COMPATIBLE.

CHEERS.

I had the same problem. My TM and Fireface USB settings both freeze when I was recording with Logic Pro during a live gig...have to reboot the system but sometimes it freezes again.

iMac 2.5G Core i5
12GB ram
Firmware: v352
Driver v1.70
TM: 0.98 beta5

No hangs since a week on Firewire connectivity (with 307 driver). Currently upgraded to USB 1.72 and FW 308 - I will report results...

I have the same problem too. Unfortunately the last driver release (1.72) doesn't fix the issue yet, total mix crashes randomly using logic, iTunes, safari etc

I ever never check in the firewire mode.

my set-up is:

iMac 3.1 GHz Core i5
12GB ram
Firmware: v352
Driver v1.72

Lately I had the same Problems like described in this topic.
I'm using the latest drivers (Firmware v352, Driver: v1.78)

Not only the playback stops, TotalMix and Settings crashes, but the hole usb port is dead. No mouse movement for example.

I tried all ports on my '27 iMac i5 (Mac OS X 10.7.5). I tried with different usb cables also.
It started randomly, strangely always in the first hour of work. After a reboot everything worked fine.
But lately it happend more often.

Any ideas?
I don't wanna use the firewire connection.

Thanks in advance

21 (edited by Timur Born 2013-02-26 10:16:32)

Did you happen to connect anything to USB several minutes before the USB ports went dead? Does it happen when the UFX is already connected before turning on the iMac? Do you use any Thunderbolt devices?

Did you happen to connect anything to USB several minutes before the USB ports went dead?
No.

Does it happen when the UFX is already connected before turning on the iMac?
Yes, the UFX is connected and switched on before I turn on the iMac. I'm sure I tried a few times turning on later too. No difference.

Do you use any Thunderbolt devices?
I have a second display connected to one of the Thunderbolt ports.

Thanx for the help.

23 (edited by Timur Born 2013-02-26 11:22:14)

Please try to disconnect everything from the iMac except the UFX. Does that change anything about the issues?

When the USB ports stop functioning, does that happen with _all_ ports, or just with some?

Please try to disconnect everything from the iMac except the UFX. Does that change anything about the issues?
I did already. I will try again. Maybe a hard drive was still connected.

When the USB ports stop functioning, does that happen with _all_ ports, or just with some?
Just some ports. depending on which ports I use I have to change the keyboard to a "still working one".

I have two crash reports. Is this Ok to post them here?

Yes, they are quite long, but you can post them. Or even better, upload them to some file-server and just post the links. wink

Here they are:

crash report - fireface setting
crash report - total mix

I hope that works!

Also disconnect all external speakers from the UFX, only use headphones if possible.