Topic: Cubase 7 on mac somehow adds 1.1db to the output to totalmix

I've gone from Logic to Cubase 7 and haven't had this issue before. It seems Cubase 7 somehow adds 1.1db (exactly) to the signal after it's left all chains of control within Cubase before it gets to totalmix. I've checked everything and it's just somehow a mystery 1.1db added so that a -1db signal (which is my normal limit) just barely clips in totalmix. I have to set the controlroom output to -1.10 db to get the correct level in totalmix. Any idea why this is?

Re: Cubase 7 on mac somehow adds 1.1db to the output to totalmix

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10662

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks, but I'm aware of that issue and this isn't related to Cubase moving a fader. It's about the signal that Cubase is outputting that should top at -1db but ends up at +0.1db (that is 1.1db is added gain wise somewhere).

Yes it is a bug in Cubase7, same here. Removing and then adding the output in vst connections cures it. Or adding a second output in the studio setup cures it too I think, but absolutely a C7 bug, everybody who checked has it.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

I figured it was a bug. Is the "readd in vst connections fix" something that has to be redone every session or is it a once-to-fix affair?

I tried the suggested "fixes" but they did not work. Further more when enabling a second output (I picked headphones) I actually got 1db LESS than the expected in these while getting the mentioned 1db MORE in the monitors. Very weird. The only fix for me is to set the signal level to -1.10 db in the monitor window. This makes everything work as it should, which still is wrong of course but until Steinberg fixes it.

is steinberg aware? I Cubase 7.0.1 is outputting 1 dB hot compared to Pro Tools 10. I verified in Digicheck, where the -20dB RMS test tone is coming out as -20 from PT, but -19 when coming from Cubase.

There is a big thread about the problem over at the steinberg forum, I'm surprised the fix didn't make it into 7.0.1.

interesting i just did a test. Brand new project in 7.0.1 plays back at -20. Great. So all my old projects will be at -19 forever. I guess thats OK, as long as its fixed going forward....