Topic: Can the HDSPe cards do what I need?

Hello,

this is a collection of somewhat newbish questions, but I'm thinking about buying one of the PCI Express Audio interface cards and since they are more on the expensive side I want to make sure I'm not buying the wrong device.

My plan is the following, buy a silent computer, good monitors and then use this computer to create the music and sound effects for my (future) video games. Maybe someone else besides me will be using it.

1. However I would like to use this computer also for other stuff not related to music production.
Can I use cards from the HDSPe series for normal day to day audio playback. Music, Films, Video games (it doesn't have to support EAX and other extensions) just plain old 7.1/5.1/2.1 audio playback. Or will I run into compatibility issues?

2. I was thinking about buying Nuendo as software, can anybody recommend it/not recommend it? What does work best with the HDSPe's? What do you use?

3. What would you use to connect the HDSPe to speakers and input devices (though I wont require many inputs)? The M-16 DA should provide enough outputs for any scenario, but maybe something like the ADI-8 QSM is better suited. What do you think?

Thanks for your help.
-Christoph

2 (edited by vinark 2013-03-04 20:23:54)

Re: Can the HDSPe cards do what I need?

Yes the cards are also fine for daily normal use. But regarding surround that depends on how you set that up (digital out to AV amp or all analogue out, how many channels etc, and I´m not the right one to advise on that).
I use Cubase the musical sister of Nuendo (both from Steinberg almost identical), where Nuendo is more for audio post production (dialogue etc) Cubase is more for music production. RME and Cubase and Nuendo are a perfect combination. Steinberg and RME drivers rock!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Hello,

thank you for the fast response.

So generally no need for a second sound card. Maybe someone else can shed a bit more light on the sourround sound thing.

Maybe Nuendo with the expansion kit is the right thing for me. Anyway, good to know it's a non-issue to get both (the card as well the software) work together.

Best regards,
Christoph

If you want someone to shed more light, do give an indication what you want to do/connect for your surround. Without that it is to general to give any advice. Like I want to connect those speakers or that av amp using DTS or wathever.
Nuendo and NEK is a great choice, a new version is about to be released.

Vincent, Amsterdam

I'm not completely sure at the moment.

Maybe connection 5 x Yamaha HS80M + 1 x Yamaha HS10W. With this setup even 7.1 (+2 HS80M) could be possible.
Or if I can afford it 5 x Adam A7X + one of their Subs (e.g. Adam Sub10 MKII), though a 7.1 setup is highly unlikely.

I'm inclined to go the Adam 5.1 route and hope the additional cost is worth it. Instead of going the more is better Yamaha 7.1 road.

Both should be possible (connection wise) using a RME HDSPe RayDAT and an ADI-8 QS or a M-16 DA, right?
Though I will probably choose the ADI-8 QS, else I would need an addition device for the inputs.

Use cases, as mentioned before music production, voice recording for video game(s).
As well as audio output for games, movies and music. The computer will be the only device connected to the system, since I'm doing pretty much anything with it.

Regarding DTS, I honestly have no clue...
I know some games use it, but I believe most just rely on the sound card encoding to DTS if it's enabled in the drivers.

Yes if you go to route RME is a great choice!

Vincent, Amsterdam

Hello,

I have another question. How do I do the whole bass management thing.
Can I make the HDSPe output the lows to the sub-woofer (create somewhat like a LFE channel if none is provided, eg. when playing stereo music)?

Does this work at a driver/settings level, independent from the software used?

Or will I require additional hardware to make it work?

Best regards,
Christoph

You will either need external hardware or bass management in your audio software.
No way the card can do it.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

shadowomf wrote:

Hello,

I have another question. How do I do the whole bass management thing.
Can I make the HDSPe output the lows to the sub-woofer (create somewhat like a LFE channel if none is provided, eg. when playing stereo music)?

Does this work at a driver/settings level, independent from the software used?

Or will I require additional hardware to make it work?

Best regards,
Christoph

Most subs have build in bass management but this is something you will need to discus with the supplier of the speakers. Nuendo also has options for it. Some speaker manufacturers have special surround setups. Like Blue Sky. I have their system one 2.1. The sub is not an afterthought but an integrated part.
They also have all levels of 5.1 systems including bass management and volume control.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Good Morning and thank you for all your answers.

I wasn't fearing that Nuendo couldn't do it, it was more out of fear that it doesn't work properly when I use "non-professional" software, e.g. playing a movie and stuff like that.

I was looking at the Blue Sky System, since I found them when I was looking for bass management. How satisfied are you with it? Would you recommend it.
Many of the subs only have a single input, many have stereo, but for 5.1 I didn't find many. Maybe I should look again.

Again, thanks for helping the noob (me).

Best regards,
Christoph

I´m very happy with my setup. Tonality is very good and integration with the sub is much better then other systems since it is designed to work with the sub from the ground up. Plus speakers are all closed also the sub, so fast transient bass response. For 5.1 the blue sky has a separate controller, that takes care of all management and allows easy switching between stereo and surround. But do have a listen first, no arguing taste.
For movies the sub is easy. Since in a standard setup the sub is integrated with the front speakers, just send the sub out to the front in totalmix.

Vincent, Amsterdam