Topic: Fireface 800/Ableton Live 8.2.3/Apple MacBook Pro/Too much latency ...

I have this : Fireface 800/Ableton Live 8.2.3/Apple MacBook Pro
and there is TOO MUCH latency, i tried everything...
Do you have a solution? Because i saw i was not the only one...
This set up works perfectly without latency with any other cheaper sound card, and it piss me off, really!!!
Waiting for any idea to make this work, thank you

Leon

Re: Fireface 800/Ableton Live 8.2.3/Apple MacBook Pro/Too much latency ...

Nice writing. Since this is a user forum and you are trying to get help, maybe try to stay calm first.

Which Macbook Pro is this (early/late year)?

What are your audio buffer settings, what is the reported latency by Ableton Live (Preferences tab where you set the buffer)?

Hi, my first time on a forum, i'm calm, it's the way i talk, i didn't know that i couldn't say " piss me off " on a forum...
Sorry first about my english, caus' it's bad i know...
i bought my macbook 2 years ago egg-zactly, it's a 2.66 GHZ Intel core duo 2 with 4 Go of RAM, and the os is 10.6.8
any where i put the buffer, the latency is too much... plus under 100 samples (around 4 ms) i have cracks in the sound
if i record a voice or anything, it's not on time, i have to put it on time each recording...
if i try to play a virtual instrument, same latency, i cannot even play on my midi keyboard or my akai mpd 18, too much latency
i tried everything i could, i put the last Fire800 drivers, i wrote to ableton, i tried with another macbook (of a friend)
i tried different sound card, and there i realised it was okey, the problem is coming from the Firewire 800...
But what can be the solution with it?

Thx

First of all: Ableton Live doubles any audio buffer setting for pluging. So when you are playing a virtual synthesizer the latency is doubled. You can change that via Preferences -> CPU by manually choosing a plug-in buffer size (at the cost of more CPU load for smaller buffers).

I am still not clear what you mean by "too much latency". Do you get high latency even when using a buffer of 128 samples and lower? Are you using any effects when you are testing this, especially reverb effects? These often add their own latency which then is added to the whole signal path by Live when "Delay Compensation" is active, which is the default setting.

Did you try to play your softsynth via computer keyboard? Maybe the latency comes from your Midi keyboard (some Midi USB drivers are bad). How is the keyboard connected? Try connecting it via DIN Midi port to the FF 800 instead of any USB solutions. Also try to disable all Midi connection in Live's Preferences and play via computer keyboard.

The cracks you are getting when recording a single audio input are likely an issue of Live in combination with OS X' CPU power-saving features, it's even worse on Lion/MLion. What you can do is to download a tool like SystemLoad or Coolbook and put some artificial load on your CPU cores (10-20% should be sufficient). Since you are using a Core2Duo you are even able to control its clocking via Coolbook (that part is not free, though, and there is a caveat).

What i mean by too much latency?
With no plugin, i record something like a guitar, a voice (microphone ), anything... The audiofile is not on time...
i have to drag the file to put it on time... i loose so much time on each recording.
When i talk about too much latency, when i play my synthesiser microkorg, i press the keys, the sound come after...
My KORG plugged in midi in and out in the RME, with a virtual instrument, same latency, sound come after i press the keys...

Why my set up is it working perfectly with others sound card? i tried a presonus, i tried an M-audio, percfect... No latency that i can feel, even with plugins synth...
Why searching any problem in ableton live or my mac when it work perfect with other sound cards?
Obviously the problem is coming from the Fireface 800, i tried to update it, but it changed nothing...

I saw on differents forums, people had the same problem with the same set up, but nobody told them any solution...
That's why i ask here...

I will try to reproduce this here. Please give me the reported latencies in ms (by Live's Audio preferences) for input and output of the following buffer size.

32, 64, 128, 256, 512 samples

What you can do meanwhile is to try a more current version of Live. You wrote 8.2.3, did you mean 8.3.2?

Please check if you set "Driver Error Compensation" to any value other than 0 (zero) by accident?! Also try to delete (rename) Live's Preferences.cfg, this often helps in such cases.

Thanks , i try that tomorrow , and i'll tell you what happen ...