Topic: Babyface volume control

hi

i suddenly have a problem with my babyface in mac osc 10.7. if i turn the encoder on the babyface to change the output volume it also changes the value of the pan pot. if i look into the total mix while moving the encoder i also see the pan pot knob jumping around. sometimes it stays in the center sometimes it doesn't.

is there a way to fix this? did i activate some strange function?

help would be really appreciated.

all the best,
salad

Re: Babyface volume control

Hi,

did i activate some strange function?

it's not a bug, it's a feature, you mean? No, don't worry.

Did you update driver + firmware to the newest versions available on the website?

Max

thanks max,
i just updated the firmware/driver to the newest version but the same problem persists. hmmm...

smile
salad

Max wrote:

Hi,

did i activate some strange function?

it's not a bug, it's a feature, you mean? No, don't worry.

Did you update driver + firmware to the newest versions available on the website?

Max

Are you controlling the volume of Out or Phones? Did you try to do a Total Reset within TotalMix FX?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Can't really reproduce this here... On the UC etc. it's the stereo mode of the encoder, but here... Let me have a look at the system with Teamviewer later today, if you want.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

hi all,

thanks for all the support. in the mean time i tried the reset but that did not help either. please have a look at the video which shows the problem (look for it in the An1+2 output - you'll see the pan pot jittering around).:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/48xlgcrlh3t9t … geness.mov

maybe then it's easier to find a solution.

oh, and i'm controlling the volume of all outputs at once. but even when i control just the main out (AN 1/2) it still does that.

i hope my babyface is not broken.... sad

all the best,
salad

RME Support wrote:

Can't really reproduce this here... On the UC etc. it's the stereo mode of the encoder, but here... Let me have a look at the system with Teamviewer later today, if you want.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

yeah, this is a fantastic offer. maybe tomorrow (wednesday) afternoon would be better. please PM me to setup a meeting. we might need to have skype running, too, as to be able to communicate. since i need to move the encoder for the problem to show up. big_smile

cheers,
salad

That video does not equal your description of the problem. A certain 'jitter' of the Pan knob while moving the fader is normal under OS X. It depends on the USB data communication's quality. Some machines show it, others not. I fear as long as pan is not permanently changing its correct position you will have to live with it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Based on MC's statement, I don't think there is much I can do in a remote session... I was thinking you referred to permanent shift of the pan fader with volume changes.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Based on MC's statement, I don't think there is much I can do in a remote session... I was thinking you referred to permanent shift of the pan fader with volume changes.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

hi all,
actually i was referring to a permanent shift of the pan. have a look at this new video, please:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2g54notrq87px … oblems.mov

this time i am moving the encoder slightly faster. i experimented now with a different set of usb-cables. no change. i also looked if there's a difference which usb-port i'm using on my mac. i also did not see an improvement.

so for the time being i just have to move the encoder quite slowly to keep the pan pot to a center position. my point is also that it did not used to be like this. i have the babyface for more than two years or so and only now the pan thing started to come to my attention. it never did this on the AN1/2, only sometimes on the phones. but this occurred so rarely that i never noticed what was causing it.

so what changed in the meantime. i got my logic board replaced in october 2012. the mac book pro is from nov 2011. it's a 2.2 GHz Core i7, mac osx 10.7.5. and the drivers changed.

is there anything i could do to improve the situation?

thanks for the help,
salad

Do you also have an associated audible change in the pan level? Or is it just a GUI issue?

Since you state that the Pan pot remains at the new location (other than 0) it implies that there may well be an audible change in Pan.

Have you tested this yet?

oblique strategies wrote:

Do you also have an associated audible change in the pan level? Or is it just a GUI issue?

Since you state that the Pan pot remains at the new location (other than 0) it implies that there may well be an audible change in Pan.

Have you tested this yet?

yes, the spatial position of the output is changed as well. so if i'm moving the encoder on the babyface not only the volume gets changed in the audio chain, but also the pan position. if the pan pot suddenly jumps to the left so will the audio. that makes changing the volume on the babyface very unreliable because now i have to check every time if the pan is still centred. the led strip on the babyface will also show me the pan pot change. so if the pan pot has moved to the left and stayed there there'll be more leds glowing on the left.

that's why i'm posting. this now affects my work.

bests,
salad

OK, we'll check if something has changed on our side that might explain this.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

OK, we'll check if something has changed on our side that might explain this.

thanks! that would be greatly appreciated.

a few moments ago i checked my babyface in windows 7 on my mac. the babyface runs fine here. no wobbly pan pot, the output signal is always centered. it's the driver from 11/12/12 version 1.028 and the hardware revision is 203.

best regards,
salad

hi there,

would there be the option to disable the output pan pots within the driver? i could imagine a menu option like "disable output pan pots". that would solve my issue as it's really annoying to always have to check if the pan pot hasn't moved while changing the output volume. this problem really defeats the purpose of having a volume control on the babyface when used in mac osx 10.7.5.

do you reckon the problem could be also solved with moving up to 10.8?

all the best
salad

Since this obviously not normal, please let us check whether it can be reproduced first. If we find something and fix it, there will be no need to disable the pan pots, I'm sure.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

yeah,
sure. no worries.

bests

Did you ever resolve this issue? I am having the exact same issue for a few years.

I have been considering for a while to get a new card. But to be honest, this is the only problem I have with my existing one. So if there's a fix, I can probably use it for several more years.

Did you ever update the driver and TotalMix FX? Plus the Babyface firmware?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

20 (edited by max_user 2018-04-05 09:56:48)

Oh yes, that just fixed it.

I can still see it jump briefly if I jog the wheel back and forth quickly (and understand that's normal with USB), but it won't stay out of center.

Thanks Matthias!