1 (edited by JRM 2013-03-18 00:36:45)

Topic: A few dumb questions

I cannot for the likes of me get any sound with my microphones connected to the  9 pin breakout cable/ XLR connections(  I am assuming these are not line out ) on my HDSPe AIO.

So far the only way around this has been to connect " line in" using an XLR to RCA adapter to the RCA  "line in" right side

So what am I doing wrong, seems awfully complicated?

Do I check the AES or XLR box? What are the Hammerfall DSP panel settings?
What "input" volume/ sliders should I look out for,  since its not labled  , XLR/ Channel one on the Mixer
What am I looking for in the Windows Sound/ Recording/ what is the XLR line in called?

Thanks in advance

JRM

Re: A few dumb questions

The AIO doesn't have any mic pres built in to it.

It has line in (XLR), spdif (RCA) and AESBU (XLR).

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdspe_aio.php

Isaac P

JRM wrote:

I cannot for the likes of me get any sound with my microphones connected to the  9 pin breakout cable/ XLR connections(  I am assuming these are not line out ) on my HDSPe AIO.

So far the only way around this has been to connect " line in" using an XLR to RCA adapter to the RCA  "line in" right side

So what am I doing wrong, seems awfully complicated?

Do I check the AES or XLR box? What are the Hammerfall DSP panel settings?
What "input" volume/ sliders should I look out for,  since its not labled  , XLR/ Channel one on the Mixer
What am I looking for in the Windows Sound/ Recording/ what is the XLR line in called?

Thanks in advance

JRM

I understand that,  ..there is no sound card I know( for professional recording that has " mic line in) lets try to be clearer.

There are 2 breakouts in the back, 9 pin and a 15 pin

I also have both types of 15 pin breakouts, the balanced with the XLR connectors and the unbalanced with the  4 RCA, RL out. RL in MIDI ( in/ out)) headphone

Both 15 pin breakouts work fine, the balanced breakout is noisy as hell, so I prefer the unbalanced cable.

Its the second set( the 9 pin) that  has SPDIF in and out, XLR in and XLR out,   thats the one thats either not working, or you can only use the 15 pin and not the 15 pin and 9 pin together on the same card?

Connected to the XLR in is the Presonous. the mic is plugged into the Preonous, so I have lots of phantom power.

I am just wondering if there is a step I am missing in the HDSP mixer or Control panel in order to get these inputs and outputs to work.

For example, check the box that says " XLR" , the go to the mixer, but I have no idea what to look for, maybe line in ( AES 1+2) ???

The 9-pin is digital only, the XLRs are AES/EBU in and out. No (direct) way to connect analog signals.

There is also no reason for the belanced 15 pin to be noisy, and no need to accept that as a fact. If you suspect the cable might be defective, please contact the retailer.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

JRM wrote:

Both 15 pin breakouts work fine, the balanced breakout is noisy as hell, so I prefer the unbalanced cable.

Something is wrong with the balanced breakout cable. Generally, balanced cables pick up less noise.

JRM wrote:

Its the second set( the 9 pin) that  has SPDIF in and out, XLR in and XLR out,   thats the one thats either not working, or you can only use the 15 pin and not the 15 pin and 9 pin together on the same card?

These XLR in and XLR out are AES 'Digital' input and output. You connect the souce that has an AES digital output to the AES input of this XLR connector, and a DA converter that accepts AES digital input from the AES output of the XLR connector.
These XLR connectors of 9 pin breakout cable are NOT for microphones.

JRM wrote:

Connected to the XLR in is the Presonous. the mic is plugged into the Preonous, so I have lots of phantom power.

Because the Presonus unit has microphone preamps built-in to the XLR connector. RME AIO card does NOT have microphone preamp as mentioned by Isaac above.

Microphone signals need to be amplified by microphone preamp before going into the audio interface. This amplification usually brings the 'mic level' up to the 'line level'. The presonus unit has microphone preamps and interface to the computer all in one package. AIO card is meant only for the interface, and accepts 'line level' signals, so you need microphone preamp separately.

By the way, 'lots of phantom power' does not make sense. Phantom power is used to drive condensor microphones, and dynamic microphone does not require phantom power. What kind of microphone are you using?

JRM wrote:

I am just wondering if there is a step I am missing in the HDSP mixer or Control panel in order to get these inputs and outputs to work.
For example, check the box that says " XLR" , the go to the mixer, but I have no idea what to look for, maybe line in ( AES 1+2) ???

No, there isn't a step in the HDSP mixer to solve this issue. You NEED a microphone preamp. You connect your mic to the preamp, and connect the output of the preamp to the AIO card's breakout cable (15 pin breakout) LINE IN.

And finally, it's probably more important to understand basics of studio gear connections, by visiting this kind of site
http://tweakheadz.com/

This side has lots of information, and basic explanation for the words such as 'microphone preamp', 'phantom power', and 'line level'.
I encourage to go and check before you damage the AIO card.

6 (edited by JRM 2013-03-19 16:47:38)

Thanks again

Listen, why do folks keep insisting that I don't have a mic pre amp?

Lets spell it out, I have a Presonus Tube Pre,  that IS a mic pre amp with 45 v of phantom power, what else do  I have to say that to have you know that I have a  mic pre amp? And yes right now its connected to "line in"

The microphones I am using are the EV 635A

Yes I also understand that " balanced" is supposed to be the better of the 2 types, but  this one has distortion and humm and EM noise. It was so terrible I just went back to the unbalanced cable

Lastly, I never used AES/ EBU before, I wasn't aware WHAT the 9 pin breakout cable was at  least the AES connectors, now I know that the 9 pin breakout is entirely digital and that I can connect the Presonus Digimax D8, that  instantly gives me 8 channels of  digital.

Yes, thats WHY I said a few dumb questions, I am  new and dumb to this, but NOT that dumb,  just need your help sorting this out.

ands no I don't want to damage the card, all help is appreciated

Cheers, JRM

RME Support wrote:

The 9-pin is digital only, the XLRs are AES/EBU in and out. No (direct) way to connect analog signals.

There is also no reason for the belanced 15 pin to be noisy, and no need to accept that as a fact. If you suspect the cable might be defective, please contact the retailer.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks Daniel, yes  that must be the case, no big deal.

Cheers, JRM

The Digimax D8 can be connected to the AIO with an optical ADAT cable.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Okay you do have microphone preamps. I thought your presonus box is something like the Firestudio fireaudio interface, or something similar.

Now, what you need to do is to connect the output from the presonus preamp to the line in of the RME AIO card. I believe the output of presonus microphone preamp is balanced out (either 1/4 TRS or XLR male). Since your balanced breakout cable isn't working, the line in of the unbalanced cable is RCA plug. So, you need a cable from 1/4 TRS to RCA male.

In the first post, you started indicating you plugged in mic cable directly from microphone to the AIO card. That's why everybody responded "AIO doesn't have a mic preamp".

Thanks, I just connected the Neuman TLM 103 with the Presonus Tube Pre using an XLR to RCA cable to the " line in " RCA"  connector . Its sounds fantastic, just holly molly , wow.

I also just ordered a new set of RME Balanced breakout cables, since Daniel was saying that they must be defective.  Do these type of cables go bad for some reason?

Now final question, since the AES/EBU is a purely digital signal, is the  sound better quality than a regular analogue connection?

Cheers, JRM

JRM wrote:

I also just ordered a new set of RME Balanced breakout cables, since Daniel was saying that they must be defective.  Do these type of cables go bad for some reason?

Depends on how you treat them. If you plug in/out, bend them often with lots of stuff hanging, then connector pins could go bad. I'm not a big fan of breakout cable for portable interface, but my RME PCI/PCIe cards are fixed and I don't chnage cabling very often, so I'm okay. Balanced cables are more noise-resistent, so you can use longer cables from in/out units.

JRM wrote:

Now final question, since the AES/EBU is a purely digital signal, is the  sound better quality than a regular analogue connection?

It is up to the quality of the AD/DA converters. If you use AIO card as a dedicated interface to pass the digital data in/out of computer, then you usually connect external AD/DA converters that take care conversion of line-ins/outs signals to digital signals. Then, the question about the sound quality becomes the quality of AD/DA converter on the AIO card, as compared to the AD/DA converters in the external device.

In my experience, I don't hear very much of difference between various AD/DA converters in a usual setup, but some people say there are noticeable differences between AD/DA converters like Lynx, Lavry, Burl, Mytek versus RME. I have Mytek and RME and quite happy with RME's AD/DA converters (as far as those AIO, 9632, and UFX in my posession).

It's more like what kind of tone you want. It's all relative, but impact of changing the mic or mic preamp has bigger impact on the character of the sound.