1 (edited by rhhodges 2013-03-02 18:45:50)

Topic: Connecting speakers to RME HDSPe AIO

I am putting together what I need for a new Win PC for music production (I use Ableton Live), and after looking at various sound cards, I am zeroing in on the RME HDSPe AIO.  Looking at the instructions, I am somewhat at a loss as to how best to connect speakers to the thing.  For the last several years I have been using a SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro with a pair of Klipsch Pro-Media 2.1 speakers for monitoring (which use a single mini-plug to the "line out" port on a sound card.).  Given that the new PC and sound-card will be a rather large step up I am not averse to picking up new speakers but cost is somewhat of a constraint.

What is the preferred way of connecting the HDSPe AIO to a set of speakers?  I apologize for asking what may appear to be a dumb question, but those really are my speciality.  :-)

Re: Connecting speakers to RME HDSPe AIO

I am guessing the XLR outputs would be the way, with a set of studio monitors that would accept those connections.  Between the card and the speakers, I would probably be looking at over $1K easily, which is probably not going to work.

3 (edited by JRM 2013-03-22 04:32:51)

Hmm, no one answered.. ok I 'll give it a crack.

a few things, remember in the manual it recommends NOT to use this card for playback, now being someone that  "audits" the music they make every day, which I think is called " playback" I am not quite sure what they mean, maybe to avoid having " Windows"  intercepting the audio data somewhere and messing things up.

Now if you are going to ignore that, then since this is a high end card,  it would be best to connect the SPDIF to  a receiver or amp that has optical inputs. That being said, that unit will have to have a good DAC.
You can also connect  the analogue out, R/L to your amp/receiver.
The better the amp and  speakers, the better the sound, of course it depends on your room. If you live in an apartment, then get yourself a good headphone amp and a good set of headphones..and yes in the end, at least  1000k if you want HiFi.

Cheers, JRM

Thank you for taking the time to answer me!  :-)

I'd advice using analog attenuation between the RME and speakers rather than using Totalmix to control the listening level digitally. Meaning, connect the analog out to an amplifier with volume control, or to an attenuator (depending on whether you use passive or active monitors, respectively.). Type of termination doesn't really matter much.