Topic: Weird crackling on Mic In's (XLR) with FireFace UCX

Hey guys, today I plugged my SM58 into Input 1 on the FireFace, set the volume in TotalMix and opened Logic. As soon as I hit the 'R' button (just to hear it back via Logic, not actually recording) I get tonnes of crackling. Before, when I was just listening to the sound in TotalMix, I had no problem: it started crackling as soon as I hit Logic's 'R' button. I switched mics to see if the mic was the problem, but I had the same problem with another mic. It is not the XLR because like I said, when just singing in TotalMix to adjust and set gain levels, I have no problem at all. My CPU and RAM are fine, barely being driven at all, so it is not this. I tried Input 2 on the interface but had the same problem.

I've had this problem once before, and I just restarted the iMac and it went away. But this did not work this time. Anyone have any ideas what is going on? Oh yeah, and I did try actually recording audio, and all the crackling was present. The buffer-size is fine, I have recorded with the exact same set up and settings for the past 3 months with no problems. So yeah, I dunno what to do. hmm

Re: Weird crackling on Mic In's (XLR) with FireFace UCX

I just tested the Jack-ins on the interface too. I had exactly the same problem. Is it something to do with the clock source? Or something else? Really I have no idea, just guessing.

Seems you added a device to USB or FireWire which causes those dropouts, like an external hard drive.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I have had the same problem with my Fireface UCX and Logic. Are you using Mountain Lion 10.8.x? The problem started for me after upgrading to it from Snow Leopard. Switching connection and driver from Firewire to USB fixed it for me.