Topic: Fireface 800 doesn't remember settings upon reboot on Windows 8

Hi all!

I'm a happy user of Fireface 800 since the very beginning. It's my first post on this great forum.

Now my problem: The issue occurred recently after upgrading my PC from XP to Windows 8 Professional "N" 32bits, using the latest driver.

As stated in the subject line, my problem is that upon reboot my Fireface 800 is constantly forgetting its system settings stored with the Store" and "Read" buttons, no matter if I check or not the "Lock registry" checkbox.

I'm aware this issue has been raised here some months ago and has not find any solutions yet. My point is just to pop here and say "Hi guys! The problem is still here and there are some folks suffering from it in silence" smile My second point is to say that downgrading to previous driver 3.034 seems to have solved my problem so far, even if this driver has not been specifically designed for Windows 8.

I'm sure some great guy at RME are already working on that. Please keep us updated !
Cheers :-)
Bob

Re: Fireface 800 doesn't remember settings upon reboot on Windows 8

The store button flashes the current settings into the unit for stand-alone mode usage. This has nothing to do with 'system settings'. So what exactly is the problem that you see?

We are not working on the driver at this time as we are not aware of any bug caused by us.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias,

Thank you for your answer.

My problem is very similar to the one already mentioned in this forum http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15580 which was occuring to Nexus01 and which seems to go unsolved so far.

Upon rebooting my PC, my fireface settings are constantly reverted to values which I've never flashed into memory. For example: buffer settings are set at 256 samples (instead of 512), the analog inputs to "rear" (instead of Front+Rear), instrument options "limiter" checkbox is checked instead of unchecked, etc. I have to "Read Flash" to get the proper values back ! I've been regularly updating my fireface with RME drivers and never faced this kind of problem.

I confirm this problem only occurs with the last Windows 8 driver.
Windows 7 driver 3.034 doesn't show this strange and annoying behaviour.
Bob

Post 7 and 10 of that thread:
Go to the About tab of the Settings dialog and toggle the Lock Registry checkbox.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for answering... but not joy so far even with the "lock registry", which BTW I've already tried previously. In the meantime the problem get worse as I've realize through extensive testing on my DAW (Samplitude Pro X Suite) that once in a while playback is completely stuck.
I seem to have more success by following the "1394 OHCI (Legacy) driver" track which I've just tried successfully so far with the "Thesycon" driver (very nice and lots of tuning options inside).
Bob

I don't see what a different FireWire system driver has to do with our settings dialog trying to write entries into the registry (or reading them), where that system driver is not involved at all. That points to a screwed up Windows installation, more than anything else. If you have some Windows knowledge you could easily check and verify the current settings within the registry by using regedit. They are easy to find.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I don't see what a different FireWire system driver has to do with our settings dialog trying to write entries into the registry (or reading them), where that system driver is not involved at all. That points to a screwed up Windows installation, more than anything else. If you have some Windows knowledge you could easily check and verify the current settings within the registry by using regedit. They are easy to find.

MC, I had this happen to me a few times with the standard FW driver in Win8.  When I use the legacy driver and forgot to reboot with driver signing disabled, this would happen sometimes.  In my case, the Fireface Settings panel would wrong information (buffer size etc) and in the Windows Volume Mixer the default playback device would change from "Speakers RME Fireface" to something else (I think it was ADAT 1+2 or Digital Out.

It happened a few times and I don't recall the exact details.

Would it help you if I revert to the stock driver and see if I can reproduce the problem, as I have a bit of time this weekend.

funkyspacecadet wrote:

MC, I had this happen to me a few times with the standard FW driver in Win8.  When I use the legacy driver and forgot to reboot with driver signing disabled, this would happen sometimes.  In my case, the Fireface Settings panel would wrong information (buffer size etc) and in the Windows Volume Mixer the default playback device would change from "Speakers RME Fireface" to something else (I think it was ADAT 1+2 or Digital Out.

@funkyspacecadet
Thank you for supporting my point :-)
IMHO some more thought should be given to this problem which, as I mentionned above, has already been discussed in this forum. My windows installation is as clean and fresh as it could be. These problem I'm having have started right after my upgrade to Windows 8 from Windows XP (a clean re-install of all my system and applications).

@MC
I'm not in the recording studio this weekend. Will check the registry for "faulty" Fireface settings if any. Are there in the same place as the "registry lock" password?

One suggestion occurred to me: with so many people having trouble with Windows 8 firewire new driver and Microsoft been not likely to amend it soon or ever, it would certainly a great benefit for us, users, if RME and Thesycon, both companies based in Germany I guess, could cooperate to offer us a real fix. For example, it would be nice if RME could issue a brief doc explaining what are the best parameters for an optimal Fireface/Thesycon cooperation. Unless I've missed something already explained here or on Thesycon website?
Maybe an idealistic musician view?
cool

Best,
Bob

funkyspacecadet wrote:

MC, I had this happen to me a few times with the standard FW driver in Win8.  When I use the legacy driver and forgot to reboot with driver signing disabled, this would happen sometimes.

The standard FW driver of W8 is the included one. I take it from your wording that you mean the non-W8 driver, and only in an invalid state/situation did that problem occur. In that case I wonder why you expect that it should still work correctly?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

RobertJay wrote:

I'm not in the recording studio this weekend. Will check the registry for "faulty" Fireface settings if any. Are there in the same place as the "registry lock" password?

Yes. After changing a setting in the dialog just refresh the view of regedit and the changed parameter should be seen there as well.

RobertJay wrote:

One suggestion occurred to me: with so many people having trouble with Windows 8 firewire new driver

I can not share this statement. Most customers have no FW problems under W8 (including ourselves), although - just an example - I am using an outdated, not recommended Ricoh chip. It seems to us that most customers complaining now have a basic hardware problem that had been there before (solved by using the legacy driver under W7), which we can not fix.

Regarding your problem: checking the registry you would see if changes in the Settings dialog cause changes in the reg entries. If not then they are not written. If yes reboot and check if the are still the same. If so then the read process upon boot fails.

That could also be a rights problem. W8 has some new restrictions and different methods to before, making ones life as single admin user even more complicated. I have not tested W8 with a normal user account with restricted rights. We expect a DAW user to be the owner of his machine, means admin. Note that the super admin mode is not required.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
funkyspacecadet wrote:

MC, I had this happen to me a few times with the standard FW driver in Win8.  When I use the legacy driver and forgot to reboot with driver signing disabled, this would happen sometimes.

The standard FW driver of W8 is the included one. I take it from your wording that you mean the non-W8 driver, and only in an invalid state/situation did that problem occur. In that case I wonder why you expect that it should still work correctly?

Let me try clarify, I was up until 4am.

Scenario 1:  Using the default Windows 8 firewire driver, other than causing the audio glitches I have complained about, also sometimes produces the symptoms the OP has described. 

Scenario 2: Using the legacy Win7 driver in Win8 seems 100% fine EXCEPT that if I forget to reboot with driver signing disabled then obviously my FF400 is not detected because Windows won't load the legacy FW driver because driver signing is enabled.

Then when I reboot with driver signing disabled the settings have changed in the Fireface Settings app.

Thanks MC, I do appreciate the time you're putting in to help us.

12 (edited by funkyspacecadet 2013-01-26 10:44:44)

MC wrote:

I can not share this statement. Most customers have no FW problems under W8 (including ourselves), although - just an example - I am using an outdated, not recommended Ricoh chip. It seems to us that most customers complaining now have a basic hardware problem that had been there before (solved by using the legacy driver under W7), which we can not fix.

How does using the legacy driver solve a "basic hardware problem" ?

Also the requirement for the legacy driver is nothing new, this dates back to Vista and it seems many, many people using all kinds of FW hardware have the same issue. 

So if there is a way to make things work with the standard driver, what must we do?

I have done many clean installs on my two PCs I've used the FF400 with.  Before installing anything like antivirus, any other software I still had the same issue, with High Performance power profile enabled, with CPU scaling disabled to keep my CPU at it's max speed.  On two VIA chipsets and now a TI one.

The above with Win7 and Win8.

Perhaps I should see if I can borrow another FW interface to see if it doesn't happen with that?

That could also be a rights problem. W8 has some new restrictions and different methods to before, making ones life as single admin user even more complicated. I have not tested W8 with a normal user account with restricted rights. We expect a DAW user to be the owner of his machine, means admin. Note that the super admin mode is not required.

Win8's admins tuff is a bitch! smile  However the legacy driver doesn't seem to have any problems with saving/restoring the settings, only the legacy driver.  ie: I've changed buffer sizes and other things many times with the legacy driver and that's fine, providing I don't change back to the standard driver or forget to boot with driver signing disabled as I described in Scenario 2.

I have UAC disabled and I have admin rights.

Thanks MC.

> the legacy driver doesn't seem to have any problems with saving/restoring the settings, only the legacy driver.

Oh well...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

> the legacy driver doesn't seem to have any problems with saving/restoring the settings, only the legacy driver.

Oh well...

Excuse me?

Okay, I meant to say:  However the legacy driver doesn't seem to have any problems with saving/restoring the settings, only the NON-legacy driver.

MC wrote:

Regarding your problem: checking the registry you would see if changes in the Settings dialog cause changes in the reg entries. If not then they are not written. If yes reboot and check if the are still the same. If so then the read process upon boot fails.

Thanks MC for your suggestion. I'm now back in the studio and I've been trying to apply your suggestions. The problem of loosing Fireface settings upon reboot can be narrowed down to Windows 8's admin rights management, as actually no Fireface settings except the password are recorded in the registry. Totalmix Registry values are there and updated but it's not the case with fireface settings except the "lock regsitry" password.

MC wrote:

Amen to that. According to my findings, Windows 8 gives you almost admin rights but not the full admin access to your machine (like in XP or Seven). I will have to dig further into that...

Now concerning my second topic, I have the pleasure to say that the legacy OHCI driver is working nicely, perfectly in fact :-)

@funkyspacecadet
I've been lucky: I didn't even have to deal with any unsigned driver problem. I've installed it once and for all, following your neat instructions and never had to go through the advanced boot method. I'm using "Windows 8 Professional N" and got the legacy drivers from an Asus Notebook running Windows 7 'family' edition.

Thank you all
Blue skies,
Bob

I had this same exact issue. everything was working great then when I upgraded to windows 8 I had the same problem with settings not being remembered. So I used the same exact drivers went back to windows 7 64 bit and everything is fine again. so it seems to be windows 8. my stystem specs are asus p6tse MB intel core i7 .

Wrong thread. Problem already fixed by new drivers.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME