1 (edited by GTSAN 2013-03-30 08:11:29)

Topic: Fireface UC not working w/ blinking light on power supply

Hello,

My one month old Fireface UC was working so perfectly until tonight.

The Power Supply light is blinking when connected to the rear DC input of the FF UC.
The important fact is that the same PSU is working OK with my Vox Tonelab ST (12V).

So I tried with a different PSU (12V / 1A from my JoeMeek ThreeQ big_smile) and here's the beginning of the christmas tree effect.

Sometimes all lights are ON on the FF UC, sometimes spooky letters appears on the LCD, never it will work though. I tried to boot with "SafeBIOS" as described in the manual (I read the manuals).
I even tried with a bigger PSU (12V / 1,66A) yet it seems the polarity was not good so I was not really fond of the burgeoning smell. Trying again with the 12V/1A was "OK".

So, here we are:
- That FF UC cost me 825€, it's a lot of money for me and it is the heart/brain/engine of my home-studio...
- I know the store will tell something like "oh well, it has to be returned to RME for repair. Do you think about something else than music, like, knitting while it's repaired, coz it will be soooo long?"
- Is there an hope that it could only be the PSU that is faulty and cannot deliver enough current ? (after all, the card seems OK)

Well, if someone has faced the same behavior, any feedback is welcome.

Cheers,
GT

Re: Fireface UC not working w/ blinking light on power supply

So, for those of you who want how to solve this without going into the repair thing:

Symptoms:
- Blinking light on the PSU
- All lights on or strange letters or weird LED behavior when using an alternative PSU (12V - <2A)

Solution:
- Buy a good PSU 12V - 2A (this is absolutely necessary, I tried with a 12V - 1.7A and it didn't work)
- Make sure it's good quality so getting one in a electronic components store or something like that is definitely a good move
- Ask your local RME dealer to replace that cheap PSU sold with the Fireface UC...