1 (edited by DarkKman 2013-03-27 00:13:20)

Topic: Convert Babyface optical spdif to additional stereo analogue output?

Hi,

I am contemplating using the Toslink optical output as spdif to provide an additional stereo out for live performing. The thing is... I don't actually know how to do this :-O

Or maybe its better to say "not how to do this optimally".

I am looking at using a toslink optical to rca adapter - something like this perhaps:

SPDIF Converter

I can then just use a stereo RCA to Jack cable (assume this will be unbalanced?)

a) Will a device like this work?
b) Is there a way to get the spdif optical to jack directly? Preferably balanced?

I know this might seem like a waste of the output but I need to keep the kit small (hence my choice of Babyface in the first place)... Is there another way that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance :-)

Re: Convert Babyface optical spdif to additional stereo analogue output?

The device here only converts optical SPDIF to and from coaxial, it does not convert to analog. You will need an external DA converter, e.g. RME ADI-2 or whatever fits your needs and budget.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by DarkKman 2013-03-27 17:12:41)

Thanks for the reply...

Hmmm... I thought external DAC might be the only way to go... Way too expensive for me though sad

But looking at the Lindy thingy;

[q]Compact DAC for converting digital coax or optical to analogue stereo audio!

Input ports: 1 x TosLink (Optical Fibre), 1 x Digital Coaxial (Phono)
Input format: SPDIF, LPCM 2Ch
Output ports: 2 x Analogue Phono Ports (Left & Right)
Output Impedance: 600 ?[/q]

The bold highlight is why I though it might work... Did I miss something?

Oops, sorry... Yes, it is indeed a DAC... My mistake... :fryingpan

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Good to know thanks! I might give one a try when I get my Babyface - delivered tomorrow! WOOHOO!!!:cool:

I found another one a little cheaper but seems to have received some very good reviews - I know it's not going to be pro quality but for those times when I need the extra outs it might be good enough: FiiO D3 - you never know!

Interesting idea. Thanks for posting about this.

Let us know how it works out.

I certainly will... I'll have to wait until next payday - Babyface put a slight dent in the bank balance this month but will definitely be trying this out first thing next month and will post the results here! :-)