1 (edited by iiooii 2013-04-01 16:59:04)

Topic: Handling the Babyface output level

Hello.

I have the babyface plugged into a Mackie 1604-VLZ3 mixing desk, using the babyface's balanced outputs into the XLR channel inputs of the desk. With the babyface output set at 0, and the desk's channel gain at -15 db, the signal on the desk is totally slammed into the red.

Only if I set the desk's gain inputs to maximum minus 15db attenuation, and then reduce the totalmix hardware outputs to -20dB, do I get a unity level on the desk.

But 35dB of attenuation to get a unity level on the desk, is this really normal? If not, what am I doing wrong? Either way an explanation would be really appreciated.

Excuse any misuse of terminology here, I'm a musician more than a engineer. I understand the outputs of the babyface are +15dbu, but I must be missing some basic principles of levels & connections, as the level arriving on the mackie isn't making any sense to me. And yet, this guy in the SoS forum is jumping through a number of hoops, just to plug his babyface into a mixer...??

Re: Handling the Babyface output level

iiooii wrote:

Hello.

I have the babyface plugged into a Mackie 1604-VLZ3 mixing desk, using the babyface's balanced outputs into the XLR channel inputs of the desk. With the babyface output set at 0, and the desk's channel gain at -15 db, the signal on the desk is totally slammed into the red.

Only if I set the desk's gain inputs to maximum minus 15db attenuation, and then reduce the totalmix hardware outputs to -20dB, do I get a unity level on the desk.

But 35dB of attenuation to get a unity level on the desk, is this really normal? If not, what am I doing wrong? Either way an explanation would be really appreciated.

Excuse any misuse of terminology here, I'm a musician more than a engineer. I understand the outputs of the babyface are +15dbu, but I must be missing some basic principles of levels & connections, as the level arriving on the mackie isn't making any sense to me. And yet, this guy in the SoS forum is jumping through a number of hoops, just to plug his babyface into a mixer...??

Babyface output is line level, sound desk XLR input is mic level.

Use the line inputs on the sound desk and the levels will be much better matched.

And as per the Babyface manual check whether the line ins on the mackie are balanced on unbalanced, and make your cabling to suit.

Isaac P