1 (edited by ebulb 2013-02-12 12:01:59)

Topic: UFX Functionality Questions

I am on the verge of picking up a UFX and have spent the last few days reading and seeing if its exactly what i need.. I want to use it for a few different applications, one of them as a live mixer for a small band with some backing tracks playing.. I have read through the manual and have a fair understanding but I have a few more queries hopefully someone could help me with.. Here goes...

1. Are you able to playback multiple tracks off a USB stick to individual mixer channels while mixing them with live input sources from a band at the same time ? In other words 6 or so tracks playing off USB stick mixed with 12 mic/lines from a live band all sources being routed to different outputs for foldback and FOH PA speakers ? Or if you playback off USB stick do you loose some the "live mixer" functionality ?

2. If that is possible, can you also record the live band inputs onto different tracks on the USB stick alongside the pre recorded backing tracks ? This amounts to overdubbing with DURec and i wasnt sure if DURec can record new tracks inside a pre existing interleaved file or if pressing record with it always creates a new file ?

3. The manual indicates you have to select "record view" from the durec window in order to assign the usb playback tracks to specific mixer channels.. So i am wondering what happens when you switch record view off do those playback tracks from the USB remain assigned to the mixer channels you selected or do you have to remain in "record view" everytime you want to play something back off the USB ?

4. my plan is to have backing tracks with around 6 individual tracks not just a stereo file.. It will be along the lines of stereo keyboards, stereo percussion, mono click track, and probably an FX or BV track.. I would obviously want the click routed to its own output for the drummer but i would then like each of the other tracks to occupy their own mixer channels so i can freely adjust the relative levels between them within totalmix fx and route everything to the main outs and onto PA speakers..

When i read the manual it indicates that assigning the playback channels for tracks off the USB stick can be done at the hardware inputs row at the top or the hardware outputs at the bottom but doesnt appear possible for the software channels row.. So im wondering, if i have 6 backing track channels on the USB and i assign them to input channels on the top row, does that mean they will replace 6 physical hardware inputs and therefore i would loose the ability to use those hardware inputs in place of USB playback ?

Appreciate any help with all my questions. Thanks.

Re: UFX Functionality Questions

1. Yes
2. No
3. Record View also brings up the transport control buttons...
4. Not clear to me, please explain... What does  "(assigning) backing track channels on the USB (...) to input channels" refer to?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Question 4: I understand this as "I want to playback 6 Tracks off the USB, can I still use all the Hardware Inputs and Channels?" The answer is "no", the 6 playbacks replace 6 selectable hardware inputs - you might choose to replace ADAT 1-6.

Question 3: You may leave the Record View inside TotalMix and be still able to control playback via the Front Panel. I´m not sure if the transport buttons stay active in the sidebar of TotalMix.

Add: You need to place your six different backing tracks inside a single file, called Wave Interleaved.

hi Daniel

Thanks for the reply..

About my 3rd and 4th questions..  I am trying to work out how the tracks playing off USB integrate into the mixer alongside the hardware inputs..

I will have 6 pre recorded tracks playing off the USB stick alongside live input from a band.. the backing tracks will be things like a stereo keyboard track, stereo percussion. mono sound FX track and mono click track.. I want those backing tracks to appear on their own mixer channels so if i want to raise the keyboards or lower the percussion i have free control over them alongside the microphone and line inputs from the band..

If i want the stereo keyboard track to playback on top row channels 1&2 do i press the play icon on those mixer channels and select the keyboard tracks from the USB stick ? Or would the mixer channel 1&2 automatically play tracks 1&2 off the USB once i press the play icons on those channels ?  Subsequently if you play tracks off the USB routed through the top row, does it remove the ability to use the hardware input that would have been on that channel ?  So if the 6 tracks playing off USB took channels 1-6 of the top mixer row, would i loose the ability to use analog inputs 1-6 on the back of the UFX  ?  As they would normally occupy those mixer channels..

The other question i had relating to this... If i want to play something off the USB stick alongside a live band do you loose the ability to use mute and solo buttons ? Because "record view" removes them ?

I hope i am not making it too difficult to understand.. I wish i could just visit a local store near me and see a UFX for myself but believe it or not in all of Sydney there is not one store with a UFX on display that i can investigate these things. I am left to try and ask people online.. Thanks..

5 (edited by ebulb 2013-02-12 14:36:42)

TGL wrote:

Question 4: I understand this as "I want to playback 6 Tracks off the USB, can I still use all the Hardware Inputs and Channels?" The answer is "no", the 6 playbacks replace 6 selectable hardware inputs - you might choose to replace ADAT 1-6.

Exactly as i was trying to explain.. Thank you..  I was also thinking along the lines of what you have said and use some of the ADAT channels and even the AES channels as they will not be used in a live band mix..

TGL wrote:

Question 3: You may leave the Record View inside TotalMix and be still able to control playback via the Front Panel. I´m not sure if the transport buttons stay active in the sidebar of TotalMix.

My query for this was based around the fact that pressing "record view" in totalmix takes away the solo and mute buttons.. So if i select record view and allocate the 6 usb playback tracks on 6 ADAT channels.. Can i then go ahead and press the record view button again to return the solo and mute buttons and still have the usb tracks assigned to those ADAT channels ? or do i need to keep record view selected in order for the 6 USB tracks to remain on the ADAT playback channels ?

I would like to have the mute buttons available while also having the USB tracks playing through the ADAT mixer channels because i need the mute buttons for the live inputs from the band..

TGL wrote:

Add: You need to place your six different backing tracks inside a single file, called Wave Interleaved.

Yep i think i have that part sorted.. I wont know for sure till i try it on a UFX but to test it i exported a single multichannel file from Sony Vegas (the application i use).. I then took the RME batch converter and opened the multitchannel file and batch converter recognised it and was able to export it back to individual mono tracks.. Which leads me to assume that the file i exported from Vegas is the same as what the UFX uses (as the batch converter could read it)..

I appreciate your help smile

EDIT: one other question.. I will have the 6 USB tracks replacing 6 ADAT mixer channels alongside 12 live band inputs.. Is it possible to use Digicheck on a laptop to record everything, including the USB playback channels ? or would digicheck only record the live band through the hardware inputs ?

6 (edited by Masaaki 2013-02-12 15:16:06)

ebulb wrote:

EDIT: one other question.. I will have the 6 USB tracks replacing 6 ADAT mixer channels alongside 12 live band inputs.. Is it possible to use Digicheck on a laptop to record everything, including the USB playback channels ? or would digicheck only record the live band through the hardware inputs ?

Hi,
I understand you want to use UFX and just a USB flash drive (DUREC functionality) to do this, but believe me, it's going to be far easier to do this with a decent laptop with a USB cable. If I were you (I have UFX), I copy the individual tracks to Reaper, and use Reaper as a playback engine as well as recording platform. You can send click to the drummer, and add reverb/comp for the vocal/PA (via the onboard DSP of UFX), and set up is very straightforward. You can create variety of monitoring mix to individual analog outs. Besides, Total Mix FX has so many functions, and you need to literally practice hours to operate them through the encoder knobs. If it's for live show, somebody (who knows UFX's front panel menu from top to the bottom) needs to be watching very carefully. Just for example, if you use the USB drive's click track and want to adjust the output level (mostly drummers request louder), I bet it's going to take 15-20 seconds to figure it out where it is. You can do that on the fly (literally in a second or two) with the Total Mix FX on the laptop.

Masaaki wrote:
ebulb wrote:

Hi,
I understand you want to use UFX and just a USB flash drive (DUREC functionality) to do this, but believe me, it's going to be far easier to do this with a decent laptop with a USB cable. If I were you (I have UFX), I copy the individual tracks to Reaper, and use Reaper as a playback engine as well as recording platform. You can send click to the drummer, and add reverb/comp for the vocal/PA (via the onboard DSP of UFX), and set up is very straightforward. You can create variety of monitoring mix to individual analog outs. Besides, Total Mix FX has so many functions, and you need to literally practice hours to operate them through the encoder knobs. If it's for live show, somebody (who knows UFX's front panel menu from top to the bottom) needs to be watching very carefully. Just for example, if you use the USB drive's click track and want to adjust the output level (mostly drummers request louder), I bet it's going to take 15-20 seconds to figure it out where it is. You can do that on the fly (literally in a second or two) with the Total Mix FX on the laptop.

I know what you are saying and i have not ruled out using vegas or reaper for playback/recording as you say..  I dont plan on using just the UFX for the mixing and i will still have a laptop/tablet at gigs running totalmix to make level changes but ideally I would rather the laptop just be an interface for totalmix FX and still use the backing tracks from the USB.. I am fairly confident in laptops nowdays but I still like the idea of the UFX running everything important off its own hardware, it removes the need to have ASIO drivers loaded and if anything crashes on the daw/laptotp the backing tracks and the gig still runs..

With digicheck if it was able to record on a laptop in the background i would use that option as i dont care too much if the laptop crashed and the recording failed as long as the UFX kept the mix and the backing tracks running it would be ok.. I will experiment as i go...

If i go with this idea, do you know if digicheck would record the playback tracks off USB also ? or would it only record hardware inputs ?

ebulb wrote:

With digicheck if it was able to record on a laptop in the background i would use that option as i dont care too much if the laptop crashed and the recording failed as long as the UFX kept the mix and the backing tracks running it would be ok.. I will experiment as i go...

If i go with this idea, do you know if digicheck would record the playback tracks off USB also ? or would it only record hardware inputs ?

I got your plans and reasons. To me, chance of my laptop crash is extremely low these days (I have Thinkpad W520, a pretty stable for this kind of purpose), and never experienced troubles with UFX. But for my applications (mostly location recordings, not live gig) I still bring rackmount PC (loaded with HDSPe AIO), Tascam recorders, and another Toshiba XP laptop in my trunk, just in case.

I can definitely test with some mock tracks in the USB drive, and test the simultaneous Digicheck recording. It'll be tonight, though.

9 (edited by ebulb 2013-02-13 01:49:59)

Masaaki wrote:

I can definitely test with some mock tracks in the USB drive, and test the simultaneous Digicheck recording. It'll be tonight, though.

That would be great.. Would you be willing to download one of the multichannel files i made with Vegas and use it for the mock files to playback off your USB drive ? This would help confirm whether or not my method of creating multichannel files in vegas works with UFX playback..

Any help is much appreciated. cheers..

Will do. And for the sake of completeness, let me know the sample rate it is rendered. USB playback doesn't have a function of reading metadata, so the sample rate of the playback is purely on the device setup.

Follow up:
Okay, I tested what you wanted to do:
Copied your multi-channel WAV file (5ch: 1, high string; 2, low string; 3 percussion; 4, percussion; 5 clicks, right?) to my pocket hard drive (USB2.0, Seagate FreeAgent Go, 100GB, FAT32 formatted). Assigned each channel of the WAV file playback to ADAT 1, 2, 3, and so forth.
Plugged in a couple of line in inputs from MP3 player, to the other analog inputs. Used Digicheck Global Record to record all the channels. I had zero issues to create 7ch-WAV files.

So, in a nutshell, it works.
Let me know if you need anything further.

Masaaki wrote:

Follow up:
Plugged in a couple of line in inputs from MP3 player, to the other analog inputs. Used Digicheck Global Record to record all the channels. I had zero issues to create 7ch-WAV files.

Awesome.. thank you for testing that out.. the result is exactly as i had hoped and has pretty much answered all of my remaining UFX questions, much appreciated.. i think the only thing left for me to do is go buy one..

You won't regret buying UFX!!

Glad to hear the test helped.

Certainly you won´t. Just ordered a second unit myself.

15 (edited by ebulb 2013-02-13 15:31:14)

Masaaki wrote:

Follow up:
Copied your multi-channel WAV file (5ch: 1, high string; 2, low string; 3 percussion; 4, percussion; 5 clicks, right?) to my pocket hard drive (USB2.0, Seagate FreeAgent Go, 100GB, FAT32 formatted). Assigned each channel of the WAV file playback to ADAT 1, 2, 3, and so forth.

Hey Masaaki... I went out and bought the UFX today.. I was wondering how did you manage to get Digicheck to record the playback from USB stick ? I have got 2 tracks off USB playing back through ADAT input channels 1&2 (on the top row) and i also have an acoustic guitar plugged into channel 12 on the front.. I can see levels in digicheck for the guitar on channel 12 but i cant seem to get the USB playback levels to register in Digicheck at all.. I tried Vegas software as well and it doesnt see any signal from the USB either..

I also noticed when i click the play icon to select which channels to play off USB i get presented with 60 channels.. At the moment im selecting 1/2 and it's playing back the USB files on tracks 1&2 but should i be selecting something else ?

EDIT: When you tested the multichannel file from me.. Did you route the five tracks to five outputs in totalmix on the bottom row and then select loopback on each output to get Digicheck to see them ? or did you manage to get Digicheck to see the levels somehow with only being routed through the top input channels ?

16 (edited by Masaaki 2013-02-13 18:04:23)

I routed five tracks of your test file to the first five ADAT channels on the TOP row, meaning input channels. First, check levels of these five channels go up. Even the green bar goes up and down, that doesn't necessarily mean you 'hear' them or not. If you don't hear them, the submix you're hearing (either main, or phone 1 or phone 2) may not be receiving the signals. In that case, you need to raise the level bar of the submix, as well as level bar of each ADAT input channel for THAT submix (This is the basics of Total Mix, and confusing in the beginning, yes).

Once you get the green level up/down and levels for the submix is raised, then you should be able to record them with Digicheck. Now, I don't know which submix Digicheck records, and I might have missed that part, but I'm not in front of the audio rig now, so I can check that later (again tonight).

The way I checked the file created by Digicheck, was simply using RME's wave file splitter. After recording five channels of your test file PLUS two channels of MP3 playback for a few seconds, I splitted the recorded file created by Digicheck into SEVEN WAV files. Each WAV file contained recorded file as anticipated, so I concluded it worked (as far as creating multi-layer WAV file by Digicheck, from combined source of USB playback and live input sources).

Hope this makes sense, and I'll follow up with the Digicheck and submix selection later.
Masaaki

edit: Actually, recoding by Digicheck may not be related to submix anyway....I might have said something inaccurate. It should work...hang on....Total Mix is confising in the beginning, but you'll get there!

Masaaki wrote:

I routed five tracks of your test file to the first five ADAT channels on the TOP row, meaning input channels. First, check levels of these five channels go up. Even the green bar goes up and down, that doesn't necessarily mean you 'hear' them or not. If you don't hear them, the submix you're hearing (either main, or phone 1 or phone 2) may not be receiving the signals. In that case, you need to raise the level bar of the submix, as well as level bar of each ADAT input channel for THAT submix (This is the basics of Total Mix, and confusing in the beginning, yes).

Once you get the green level up/down and levels for the submix is raised, then you should be able to record them with Digicheck. Now, I don't know which submix Digicheck records, and I might have missed that part, but I'm not in front of the audio rig now, so I can check that later (again tonight).

The way I checked the file created by Digicheck, was simply using RME's wave file splitter. After recording five channels of your test file PLUS two channels of MP3 playback for a few seconds, I splitted the recorded file created by Digicheck into SEVEN WAV files. Each WAV file contained recorded file as anticipated, so I concluded it worked (as far as creating multi-layer WAV file by Digicheck, from combined source of USB playback and live input sources).

Hope this makes sense, and I'll follow up with the Digicheck and submix selection later.
Masaaki

edit: Actually, recoding by Digicheck may not be related to submix anyway....I might have said something inaccurate. It should work...hang on....Total Mix is confising in the beginning, but you'll get there!

Thank you.. That all makes sense.. I got Digicheck recording the USB tracks and live inputs as hoped but i had to go through and put all the USB playback tracks on a different hardware ouput and enable loopback on each output channel.. Then Digicheck records that output along with the hardware inputs and it works.. I found if i just routed the USB tracks through the input channels at the top i could hear them but it wasnt enough for Digicheck to record also.. I would be interested to hear if this is exactly the same setup you had..

So far I found totalmix isnt too hard to use but ive found it's easy to miss something cause there are so many routing options and settings you can use.. Thanks for your help..

And there is a a manual that helps a lot, it just needs to be read. It also shows the signal path that you try work with. Chapter 31, page 90.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ebulb wrote:

Thank you.. That all makes sense.. I got Digicheck recording the USB tracks and live inputs as hoped but i had to go through and put all the USB playback tracks on a different hardware ouput and enable loopback on each output channel.. Then Digicheck records that output along with the hardware inputs and it works.. I found if i just routed the USB tracks through the input channels at the top i could hear them but it wasnt enough for Digicheck to record also.. I would be interested to hear if this is exactly the same setup you had..

So far I found totalmix isnt too hard to use but ive found it's easy to miss something cause there are so many routing options and settings you can use.. Thanks for your help..

I'm in front of the Total Mix FX and Digicheck with your test file, and in fact, I just routed to the input channels and it was enought for Digicheck to record.
I didn't use any output loopback. So, something is different....

When I route the WAV file playback to the input channels, the green level indicators never go up/down. But when I switch to Digicheck, A1-1 to A1-5 levels are up/down. Do you see that? You need to 'arm' these channels to record in Digicheck, and save as WAV file from File menu.

20 (edited by ebulb 2013-02-14 04:46:00)

MC wrote:

And there is a a manual that helps a lot, it just needs to be read. It also shows the signal path that you try work with. Chapter 31, page 90.

The thing i am finding is so many things interact with other things routing wise its a bit overwhelming at the moment.. Its so easy to accidently have something selected and make a change without realise it affects something else, you may not even realise till you sit there and study every inch of what you have setup.. I just need to spend more time with it i think..

I can see its very powerful though and think i will ultimately get the setup optimised for my needs..  I have a few other queries i am writing down as i go along and if i cant work them out after a week or two i will post in a new thread to enquire about them..  Thanks..

Masaaki wrote:

I'm in front of the Total Mix FX and Digicheck with your test file, and in fact, I just routed to the input channels and it was enought for Digicheck to record.
I didn't use any output loopback. So, something is different....

When I route the WAV file playback to the input channels, the green level indicators never go up/down. But when I switch to Digicheck, A1-1 to A1-5 levels are up/down. Do you see that? You need to 'arm' these channels to record in Digicheck, and save as WAV file from File menu.

If you select post FX for your metering on the options to the right i think it will show the meters off the USB playback.. I realised my problem with digicheck initially is what MC said, i had innocently deselected EQ+D to record in the global settings and didnt realise it needed this to be selected in order for the input channels to be recorded off USB to DAW.. There has been some other little things that has caught me out also but overall i think its just my lack of familiarity at this point so i will keep playing around with it. Once again thanks for your help mate.

ebulb wrote:

I am on the verge of picking up a UFX and have spent the last few days reading and seeing if its exactly what i need.. I want to use it for a few different applications, one of them as a live mixer for a small band with some backing tracks playing..

1. Are you able to playback multiple tracks off a USB stick to individual mixer channels while mixing them with live input sources from a band at the same time ? In other words 6 or so tracks playing off USB stick mixed with 12 mic/lines from a live band all sources being routed to different outputs for foldback and FOH PA speakers ? Or if you playback off USB stick do you loose some the "live mixer" functionality ?

Hi, this is my firs post (not only in this forum - sorry for mistakes if any - and sorry for my English too)

This thread is exactly what I was looking for. After several days of searching the web, I realized that there are no good solution that would meet the requirements of musicians who want to play live concerts with backing tracks - at least I could not determine anything specific.

I also think that the UFX can be a good solution to this problem. Simply before I'll buy it, I would make sure... same as ebulb :)

ebulb... I'm very interested whether UFX met your needs after those last few weeks of using it? Could you please say a few words on the subject?

anyway... I'l have some questions too  ...and YES... I know that would be better to use the TotalMix with the UFX. Simply I don't want. Last few years I was playing with the laptops. After few crashes in the middle of the concert...  this is not for me

1. Is it possible on stage (in standalone mode) to perform standard mixer functions (setting mic's levels and pan, applying rev. EQ, compression, mute, solo...) while playing back those backing tracks from the usb? - ...in other words... can I get to mixer/channel menu in UFX's display in Standalone Mode,
while simultaneously  playing backing tracks from USB?

2. do the UFX reacts to Program Change messages or CC messages? (there is no Midi Implementation Chart on the manual)

3. ...if so... which parameters can be recalled/changed this way?

4. ...if so... can I switch from fail to fail in the USB this way? (let say... from song to song)

5. About connecting dynamic microphones to the line level inputs in rear panel without external mic preamps - does this make sens? is there a chance to tweak the input levels of the line inputs so that it will match those mics outs?

6. Can I send particular channel to more than one output/phones?

7. Monitor Controller - any shortcuts from Mac's standard keyboard? - can I define my own?

any help would be very appreciated, thank You in advance!

22 (edited by ebulb 2013-04-03 10:25:26)

zseroka wrote:

ebulb... I'm very interested whether UFX met your needs after those last few weeks of using it? Could you please say a few words on the subject?

I havent played live with the UFX yet but based on rehearsing and other usage so far i would say im fairly happy with it.. It isnt totally without some shortcomings but it is a well made product.. Some of the things i have noticed with regards to using it as a live mixer and backing track device.

1. Pretty much everything you play off the USB stick will initially stop its playback with a large click sound.. The reason seems because the file does not end at a zero crossing point on the waveform.. So even if you have a file which has faded out totally there may be an ever so small bit of noise from a plugin you had on the track when it was rendered and this is enough to prevent the file stopping at a zero point and it will create a large click sound from DURec playback.. The solution is to render your backing tracks with a few seconds of digitally rendered silence at the very end of each backing track.. If you have 6 or 8 things running as backing tracks this digital silence needs to be present for each track otherwise a large click sound will be generated (even from just one track) when the playback stops.. Also i noticed DURec seems to use some sort of buffer when it plays back and if your digital silence isnt longer than the buffer and the file stops but the buffer still has something from the backing track that was not total silence... the click will occur again.. hence i suggest using around 5-6 secs at the end to ensure all the audio in the buffer is silence also.. You can manually stop/pause the files without creating the click sound, its only if the file reaches the end on its own that this happens..

2. The DSP onboard the UFX doesnt have as much overhead as may be needed for live bands.. For my application i dont think i will run out of the ability to use FX/EQ/Compression but with the Reverb turned on and only a handful of compression/EQ on around 6 tracks its already approaching half the DSP usage.. That is mainly because Reverb takes a lot of DSP but it should be noted if you are running a half elaborate live setup with many input channels do not expect you will have endless overheads for processing.. What is available seems adequate for basic tasks but i could imagine a band could run into limitations fairly easily..

zseroka wrote:

1. Is it possible on stage (in standalone mode) to perform standard mixer functions (setting mic's levels and pan, applying rev. EQ, compression, mute, solo...) while playing back those backing tracks from the usb? - ...in other words... can I get to mixer/channel menu in UFX's display in Standalone Mode,
while simultaneously  playing backing tracks from USB?

From what i am led to believe controlling nearly all mixer functions as a standalone unit is possible, i personally havent looked at operating the UFX this way too much.. From what i understand if you run a laptop and only load totalMix to control the UFX mixer, the software is not doing anything other than providing a screen for the internal hardware mixer of the UFX and therefore not as vunerable.. If you make a volume change and the laptop crashes the mix state should remain in the UFX and the gig should still be able to run.. Then all you need to do is reboot the laptop to provide the screen again.. Also i think the possibility of a crash is greatly reduced when you arent loading ASIO drivers or running VST plugins so the laptop purely for the mixer functionality should be ok.. I will try a few tests soon and while im rehearsing i'll pull the firewire lead out and see if it causes any glitches to the mixer in UFX.. I hope not smile

I also think you can use external control surface like BCF2000 if you want more control in stanalone operation.. Alongside a BCF2000 you could then just use the front panel display to star/stop USB playback..

zseroka wrote:

2. do the UFX reacts to Program Change messages or CC messages? (there is no Midi Implementation Chart on the manual)

3. ...if so... which parameters can be recalled/changed this way?

4. ...if so... can I switch from fail to fail in the USB this way? (let say... from song to song)

I think there is some Midi CC implementation but im not sure to what extent as its not something i have needed to look into.. Someone else could probably help you further..

zseroka wrote:

5. About connecting dynamic microphones to the line level inputs in rear panel without external mic preamps - does this make sens? is there a chance to tweak the input levels of the line inputs so that it will match those mics outs?

I havent tried it but i would expect it isnt going to work, the same way any normal line level input cannot accept a mic source as there isnt enough gain without a pre amp..

zseroka wrote:

6. Can I send particular channel to more than one output/phones?

yes, this is very easy.. the UFX is really flexible with routing. Each time you send an input to an output it also has its own level control for that individual output (if you want it to)..  the UFX is like a large monitor mixer with heaps of AUX sends.

zseroka wrote:

7. Monitor Controller - any shortcuts from Mac's standard keyboard? - can I define my own?

I am on PC and i noticed you can assign the function keys to certain features in totalMix.. For instance you can turn FX on/off or start/pause USB playback.. those would be handy for live gigs, turning FX off between songs when singer is talking and obviously start/stop USB for backing tracks etc...

Thank You ebulb very much, this helped me a lot smile