Topic: im gonna try running 2 UFX on win7.. 1 or 2 FW controllers?

ok, for starters i realize this is not officially supported, ive read all the posts about it etc.

however, i use an UFX, and there's a store nearby that i bought it from, and they could lend me another one to try this. im just curious bcs another would be the simplest, and cheapest solution for my i/o needs. if it can withstand 88k,,, im so buying another..

anyways,  i realize they use the same ASIO driver, thats why it is said that in theory it should work, because it might run into bandwidth problems running all this at 88k..  my question is about firewire cards:    im running my UFX from FW that came on my MoBo,   should i get another PCIe FX controller for the second UFX ?       or run both from the same?

i presume the former should work better (two cards fighting for the PCIe bus which has much bigger thruput than FX400 so it should handle it). but i am just presuming..   any ideas?

theoretically speaking..  can this experiment fry the UFX ?  had to ask.. HeadScratch:)

thanks

www.babic.com - music for theatre, film and television

Re: im gonna try running 2 UFX on win7.. 1 or 2 FW controllers?

No risk of damage, unless through repeated FW hotplugging.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Re: im gonna try running 2 UFX on win7.. 1 or 2 FW controllers?

i let this idea go for a while, altough now really want to try this, but i still haven't found the definite answer to my question:

when trying to run two UFX together, should each be on their own Firewire controller card,   or they have to share ?

at the moment im running my UFX with onboard FW controller without any issues, but i presume another UFX should have its own, otherwise i am forcing too much bandwidth thru a single firewire unit.  but dunno if this will work with the host.  would like some advice on this issue before buying another firewire card.

thanks

best regards
Tom

www.babic.com - music for theatre, film and television