1 (edited by yellowchops 2012-02-22 18:10:15)

Topic: BabyFace - Static On Right Channel

Hello.

I purchased my BabyFace when they were first released.  I am using the latest driver as of yesterday and my BabyFace is running the latest firmware.

Last night, I noticed a problem with the right input channel.  My BabyFace has static noise on the right channel when I turn the input gain up.  The left channel does not have any noise on it.

I've tried the following:
- Dynamic mic on left and right channel (left channel doesn't have any noise, right channel has noise)
- Line inputs (keyboard and iPod) on left and right channel (left channel doesn't have any noise, right channel has noise)
- I've swapped cables for both inputs and the noise stays on the right channel so I'm pretty sure that the noise is on the right channel

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Re: BabyFace - Static On Right Channel

Is that noise fully reproducable in certain gain ranges and ends abruptly when further increasing the gain? Try without any connected device at the input. If so the unit must be repaired (warranty) as the mic gain chip is broken.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by yellowchops 2012-02-23 10:28:50)

That sounds very much like the problem that I'm having.

It still make the noise even with nothing connected.

I have a lot of noise when I plug my keyboard into the HI-Z input as well.  Without upping the gain just having the input level slightly up its very noisy.  It wasn't always this way.

There is no noise if there is no input, so does that mean my babyface doesn't have any physical problem? (hoping so, it fell three feet to the carpet...but I shook it didn't hear any loose parts).

The manual seems to imply a TRS cable can be used with this connection for a mono keyboard out...is this correct?   Can I use TS as well?   

Besides ground loops can you think of any other problem that would cause this much noise?  Such as pulling the cable out without disabling the instrument button.

Thanks in advance MC, would appreciate a quick reply.

-Pablo

unplugged laptop and noise gone.  It was ground loop!   Thank the gods!

What cable do you recommend for the mono output of a keyboard?  Its nice and quiet with the TRS cable I'm using now that I unplugged the laptop. 

So do the poweramps need to be on a different circuit breaker entirely or just rearrange plugs?

Thanks!  Guess I should have done that test first, easy enough.  I love all your products, but this one is just great, fits in my laptop bag giving me a great mobiles setup.   

One more question....I use the breakout cable extension that came with the unit and I bought an additional extension cable from your website, the shorter one.  Any problem mating these two extensions?  This lets my babyface live in a safe place where it won't fall again and puts my I/O where I need it. 

Thanks for making such an amazing portable interface, its very versatile and I find a tremendous value. 

-Pablo.