Re: Win8: For those needing the 1394 OHCI (Legacy) driver.

Hey, MC, so far a winner.  Hope it stays this way!

I have:

A Reaper session playing on loop (but master fader to almost muted) in the background with lots of Omnisphere instances and high RAM usage.
Streaming Youtube / Soundcloud, opening pages in the background.
WinRAR eating a lot of CPU in the background.

10 mins in, so far, no problems.

The only glitches I've had is WinRAR stealing too much CPU time from Reaper so the project will glitch, but it's not the problems the other drivers/firewire problems had.. ie: if i Pause WinRAR it goes away.

Will do some more stress testing.

MC wrote:

You could try a new driver which seems to work better for Windows 8:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fi … n_3072.zip

This one will not work good with the legacy drivers anymore, so IF it works it is a special Windows 8 driver.

Appears to be working!  Windows 8 x64, and no beeps!

Still working fine so far!

MC, what did you guys do in this new driver? I'm very interested to hear details if you don't mind sharing.

Sorry, but I can't (ok, I confess, I don't want to) give details about the fix itself. It just happened what we always refer to - we were able to finally experience this specific problem on one of our computers with Windows 8. If we see it we can fix it...

I am still astonished about the positive feedback. I will upload a new version this evening which adds the same change for Windows 7. This could (could !) mean that even there the legacy driver is no longer needed (in case you needed to change to it before). Interesting times...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

55 (edited by funkyspacecadet 2013-03-22 15:30:59)

MC wrote:

Sorry, but I can (ok, I confess, I don't want to) give details about the fix itself. It just happened what we always refer to - we were able to finally experience this specific problem on one of our computers with Windows 8. If we see it we can fix it...

I am still astonished about the positive feedback. I will upload a new version this evening which adds the same change for Windows 7. This could (could !) mean that even there the legacy driver is no longer needed (in case you needed to change to it before). Interesting times...

hehe, I understand you needing to keep details under wraps, I was just curious as you initially seemed to think it wasn't possible to get things working with Microsoft's problematic drivers.

Either way, I am very thankful and this is why I initially bought my RME, because people always praise your driver stability and updates.

So far, still - no problems, even under heavy CPU it's been solid, no glitches!

Before, with the standard driver, even just booting windows and just playing an mp3 would cause problems - sometimes 5 minutes later, sometimes instantly. 

I'm so happy, I can now keep my FF400 for hopefully many more years, as it's still in perfect condition - so great to be able to use my gear so long after purchase!

MC, again thank you very much!

Here is another version which adds the change for Windows 8 also to Windows 7. Note that this driver is expected to not work correctly with the official Legacy FireWire driver of Windows 7! So this is for users who had to install the Legacy driver under W7 to get their audio working. Go back to the standard MS driver for the FireWire device, confirm audio is miserable, then change to driver to 3.073:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fi … n_3073.zip

Let's see if someone can confirm that it works there as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks!

I no longer have a Win7 partition anymore on this machine but I'll give these a go in Win8.

Still no glitches in the ones you posted last night!

Thumbsup! cool

So far so good with the update, I'll test more tomorrow as I've got some intensive DAW-time planned, but managed some brief testing in Reaper + some Youtube etc; no problems.

Thanks again MC, highly appreciated!

I got the first confirmation with Win 7 already - unbelievable...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I got the first confirmation with Win 7 already - unbelievable...

C'mon MC, spill the beans, give us a clue at least ;-)

Busy writing some music, so nice to be able to sit down without that worry that it's gonna go BEEEEP in my ears, I can relax properly now and not need any legacy tweaks to get things going.

Still going strong!!!:cool: :-D

62 (edited by trigg 2013-03-25 18:02:48)

My story so far:

Bought a new computer in January (ASUS P8Z77 with Win8). I added a separate FW-card (The Dawicontrol DC-1394 PCI) to connect with my Fireface800
I got random computer-freezes with audio hanging all the time, just like others here. Problems disappeared if I removed the FW-card and used a USB-audio interface.

Because I thought the Dawicontrol-card might had a problem, I switched it today for a Sweex VIA-chipset card (I know it's inferior to the DAWI, but I wanted to test things..)
I immediately got another freeze.

Then I noticed this thread and installed the new Win8-driver. It ran fine for 45 minutes, then I got another freeze. Note: I didn't use any windows7 legacy-drivers (yet)

There are three options possible I think:

1) The new RME-driver does not solve all the freeze-problems.
2) The freeze I get now is due to the Sweex FW-card with VIA Chipset (I can replace it for the DAWI again tomorrow and do more tests)
3) There's a problem with my motherboard

I keep u guys posted..

Hi trigg,

When you say freezes, does your DAW/audio app and/or Windows freeze up? Or do you just mean the palyback freezes?

I'd try with the other FW card first, the new RME driver a few posts up works 100% for me on my Texas Instruments SIIG card.  I've also got an Asus board (Asus P8P67-M Pro) but I haven't tested the new RME driver on the onboard VIA chipset my board came with.  When I get a chance I'll try do that.

I mean both; playback freezes and windows freezes (no mouse, keyboard etc.)
So the only thing I can do then is reboot and hope my backup-project saved all necessary data.

I'm gonna try tomorrow with the Dawicontrol again (which also has the TI-chipset)

That sounds bad, I've never had any hanging/freezing with the RME drivers and/or with any firewire combination.

Does this happen if you just playback an MP3 or something?

66 (edited by trigg 2013-03-25 18:57:24)

Yes, it can happen while just browsing on the internet, not using any audio at all... therefore I first searched in a different direction.
(note: I just got a freeze while typing this post)

But, if I remove the FW-card, it's all fine. I tried different PCI-slots and the problem is the same with the Dawicontrol and the Sweex FW-card.

Check if there are any BIOS updates, I know with my Asus there were a lot of problems initially, though it may not help, read the changelog on their site to see if there's anything.

But maybe first see if it happens with the other FW card.

If your board has onboard FW, disable it in the BIOS as well.

trigg wrote:

Then I noticed this thread and installed the new Win8-driver. It ran fine for 45 minutes, then I got another freeze. Note: I didn't use any windows7 legacy-drivers (yet)

Make sure you change the windows power-profile to "High Performance", the default "Balanced" one causes stability issues because of a PCIe specific power-saving setting.

Too bad, my problems haven't dissapeared yet:

What I did:
- Changed Motherboard (same type)
- Put back the Dawi FireWire-card
- Set Windows 8 to High Performance
- Installed latest win8 rme-driver

Still I got the total windows freeze sad

It has to be a Fireface-issue, since the machine doesn't crash if I remove the firewire-cable to the RME.
Note: in my previous windows7-machine the Fireface ran without any problems, so the device has to be OK.

Advice anyone?

70 (edited by Timur Born 2013-04-05 22:52:33)

Did you try the driver 3.073 yet that MC linked to some posts above in this very thread?

CPU overheating? You tried a different FW cable? Can you use a different port on the FF 800?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Here are my experiences

Updated to the latest driver 3.073 and reverted firewire driver back to signed win 8 x64 - glitches all over the place.
Moved to win 7 legacy and getting one glitch per hour on average even with highest buffer setting but has fixed my issues with totalmix becoming unresponsive every 10 seconds or so so this a vast improvement but not perfect and so far have not had the big beeeeep and audio failure that was occurring every hour or so requiring a reboot - but time will tell.

Haven't tested with Thesycon driver yet.

I am using Ricoh chipset built into my Sony Vaio Z1

Latest update.

Thesycon firewire driver had glitches with new RME driver and brought back total mix freezing issues, and after about 30 mins long beeeeep. So for me the new drivers have introduced glitches into audio when used with Thesycon driver. However the new RME driver has improved glitches drastically in conjuction with legacy Win 7 firewire driver (about 1 glitch an hour) and audio stays stable and does not crash out with the long beeeeep.

The original Win 8 firewire driver glitches constantly.

So now I am unable to get glitch free audio with any of the firewire stacks I have to play with, whereas with the old driver I could get glitch free audio with Thesycon driver, but would get loss of audio and long beeeeep every 30 mins to an hour, requiring a reboot.

Nearly there RME!! I'm not going to buy a new firewire card as this is clearly software related.

So hopefully now you guys have figured out the problem you can tweak to perfect this to give us all glitch free audio, regardless of chipset.

While I would say that your Sony really got a problem, your note about Thesycon and the new 3.073 is quite interesting. We will try to find a fix for that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I apprecite the Ricoh chipset is not the best, but I can't see this to be a problem with the Sony as it all worked perfectly with Windows 7. Thank you for taking a look at this.

You can now try version 3.074 which is supposed to handle legacy drivers under Win 8 exactly as the latest 3.073 does under Win 7 (we did not test it, sorry).

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/win_fire_3074.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC,

3.074 and Legacy driver are still giving me glitches on my Sony unfortunately, I would say possibly even more than on 3.073 but it's hard to tell. I have 5 errors logged in Fireface control panel and have been playing FLACs for the last 2 hours.

Hi again,

Just got the long beeeeeeep sound using 3.074 - definitely a step backwards.

Thanks.

I just updated to the new driver and moved back to the Windows 8 Firewire driver a week ago, and things were running alright until today. I once again encountered the dreaded *BEEP* that required a full restart in order to restore audio. Has anyone managed to find a permanent solution to this issue yet that doesn't involve disabling driver signing or running W8 in test mode?

TimothyArcher wrote:

Has anyone managed to find a permanent solution to this issue yet that doesn't involve disabling driver signing or running W8 in test mode?

The only thing that worked for me, before driver  3.073 (22.03.13) was to use the Thesycon driver, that's the only thing I can suggest - but it doesn't work for everyone.

Fortunately for me so far, 3.073 (22.03.13) with firmware 1.71 on my SIIG card, not a single issue since this driver was released, and I'm using the stock standard Win8 FW driver.

Hi,
I don't read the full thread.

I changed to a new workhorse and have a lot of problems with my FF400.
Roundabout two week of glitches and crashes more or less.

After a change to the alternative FW driver
for my VIA chipset and an update of the FF400 driver (3.073) everything runs perfect.

Thanks for that update! :-)

Cheers,
Lexo

Still same issues here, with the version 3.074 drivers.
No permanent solution sad

This is just a heads-up notice to Windows 8 users: do not upgrade to Windows 8.1, as it seems to break the RME driver.

I am still testing for a solution, and I will post if I find one.

What does "break the driver" refer to?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

What does "break the driver" refer to?

I guess he means Win8.1 breaks compatibility somehow.

When I get a chance I'll run Clonezilla and make an image of my OS drive and test Win8.1 for myself and report.

I ended up installing the Win7-legacy driver as described on page #1 (thank you funkyspacecadet and benofishal for the excellent guides) and now it's all good.

My advice to all RME Firewire-users: use Windows 7, it's a perfect OS for a DAW. Forget Win8 smile

THAT is nothing new :-)

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

FF UFX (FW/USB) working perfectly on Windows 8.1 preview here.

FYI, HDSP 9652 also working.

Motherboard: EVGA P55LE
CPU: Core i5760
ADS Pyro PCI FW card
DAW: Reaper 4

Of course, this is user preview, so proceed at your own risk.

I'll be upfront and admit that I'm not using a soundcard, but rather, a FireDTV-S2 FireWire TV tuner card ( http://shop.digital-devices.de/Download … Everywhere ). However, I was wondering if anyone could offer advice.

I'm running Windows 8.1 x64 RTM, and copied my files from Windows 7 Professional x64

I successfully installed the FireDTV in Administrator and Windows 7 Compatibility Mode. However, running MediaPortal 1.5, I receive "Tuner Not Found" errors when trying to tune into a channel, both with the Thesycon IEEE1394 driver ( http://www.photometrics.com/support/dow … taller.zip ) and also with the method below:

1. Locate these files from a Windows 7 machine:

c:\windows\inf\1394.inf
c:\windows\inf\1394.pnf
c:\windows\system32\drivers\1394bus.sys
c:\windows\system32\drivers\1394ohci.sys
c:\windows\system32\drivers\ohci1394.sys

2. Copy all these files into a folder of your choice on your Windows 8 computer.

3. Press the Win + C keyboard combination to bring up the Charms Bar,
then click on the Settings Charm.

4. We need to head into the Modern Control Panel, so go ahead and
click on the Change PC settings link.

5. When the Control Panel opens, switch over to the “Update & recovery” section.

6. Then click on the Recovery option on the left hand side.

7. Once selected, you will see an advanced startup section appear on
the right hand side. You will need to click on the “Restart now”
button.

8. Once your Computer has rebooted you will need to choose the
Troubleshoot option.

9. Then head into Advanced options.

10. Then Startup Settings.

11. Since we are modifying boot time configuration settings, you will
need to restart your Computer one last time.

12. Finally, you will be given a list of startup settings that you can
change. The one we are looking for is “Disable driver signature
enforcement”. To choose the setting, you will need to press the F7
key.

13. That’s all there is to it. Your PC will then reboot and you will
be able to install unsigned drivers without any error message

(via http://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to- … d-drivers/
and http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-ins … -windows-8
)

14. You can then go into Device Manager:

15. Expand IEEE 1394 Host Controllers

16. Right click on your firewire controller and choose Update Driver Software

17. Click "Browse My Computer for Driver Software"

18. Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

19. Click Have Disk

20. Click Browse

21. Browse to the folder where you placed the Win7 FW drivers and click Open.

22. You can then install the 1394 OHCI (Legacy) driver.

23. Windows will warn you about unsigned drivers, just accept and
continue the install.

24. You will need to reboot, most certainly using the unsigned driver
/ advanced boot method from the link above.

(via funkyspacecadet's advice at the start of this thread: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15505 )

"I can fix the signed issue making you reboot into unsigned mode each time."

so do a regular reboot...

25. Once you have installed the legacy driver in unsigned mode,
reboot, the driver will fail to load and you will have no sound.

26. Open command prompt as Administrator.

27. Run the following two commands, both should say The Operation
Completed Successfully (if not you probably didn't run command prompt
as Admin)

bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

28. Download this http://www.mediafire.com/?hjjjj4y2n1w (if for any
reason this link dies then google dseo13b.exe)

29. Run the download and choose to sign a system file.

30. Type in C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\1394bus.sys

31. Click OK and the file will be signed for use in test mode.

32. Run the program again and choose sign a system file

33. Type in C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\ohci1394.sys

34. Reboot and voila, the drivers load and no need to keep rebooting
into unsigned mode.

Here are my MD5 / MD5SUMs:

C:\1394_LEGACY_UNSIGNED\1394.inf
614B51AA2C51EFC42319DD4B622C4204

C:\1394_LEGACY_UNSIGNED\1394.PNF
78F7020DDBA459BA543FDA8AB4C75841

C:\1394_LEGACY_UNSIGNED\1394bus.sys
64EDD3F59DB321947969FDF1DD747323

C:\1394_LEGACY_UNSIGNED\1394ohci.sys
A87D604AEA360176311474C87A63BB88

C:\1394_LEGACY_UNSIGNED\ohci1394.sys
3589478E4B22CE21B41FA1BFC0B8B8A0

C:\1394_LEGACY_AFTERSIGNING\1394.inf
(same as 1394_LEGACY_UNSIGNED)

C:\1394_LEGACY_AFTERSIGNING\1394.PNF

C:\1394_LEGACY_AFTERSIGNING\1394bus.sys
99FCFF363766DCF385177ED0B5BE0E5F

C:\1394_LEGACY_AFTERSIGNING\1394ohci.sys

C:\1394_LEGACY_AFTERSIGNING\ohci1394.sys
E2D494FA58B53267F8E0427E7314BDD5

After signing:

C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\1394bus.sys
(same as 1394_LEGACY_AFTERSIGNING)

C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\ohci1394.sys
(same as 1394_LEGACY_AFTERSIGNING)

C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\1394ohci.sys
E1832BD9FD7E0FC2DC9FA5935DE3E8C1

and here are the driver details on Windows 8.1 x64 RTM:

IEEE 1394 host controllers / 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)

Driver Date: 21/06/2006
Driver Version: 6.1.7601.17514
Driver Signer: Not digitally signed

Driver Details:

C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\1394bus.sys
6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)

C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\ohci1394.sys
6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)

Thanks, dabotsonline and those that contributed along the way.  I don't have an RME card but the method worked to get my Focusrite Liquid Mix back.

The little dseo13b.exe application had a link to a watermark removal exe, but it did not work for me (8.1 Build 9600).  But I found a working watermark removal program.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vneo6m2x64pzg … Editor.rar

Also found here

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Syst … itor.shtml

Hello everybody,

I got the problem the file "fireface_fut_400" does not open. Yes my pc said "Do you want install this unknown sign?" and when i click Yes there is nothing happening. Im running on a Windows 8 64x,

i have tried it with the IEEE 1394 egacy and Treyscon and non of them work.

can somebody help me ?

Downloaded but its not working in win8.1, with having error could not support.

Legacy Firewire driver for Win8/8.1 from Microsoft: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/arc … ckage.aspx