1 (edited by shadowfax 2013-04-10 11:50:46)

Topic: Mind boggling total mix

Ok I'm ready to admit I'm probably an idiot but I've just spent 3 hours trying to get a vox into cubase through total mix with my new rme ucx..I've watched various tut's several times to no avail, so please.how on earth do I get my mic signal (no latency with reverb) to register in my headphones whilst listening to my DAW playback and record it to a track on cubase, I'm just a straightforward kinda guy and there is nothing straightforward about total mix, once I've got it I'll be fine, but why is this so convoluted?..love the UCX but ???????????? what am I missing (apart from a brain)

thanks in advance to any one who takes pity on me..just a simple muso..DeadHorse

Re: Mind boggling total mix

I think that if our own video tutorials don't help, it will be hard to explain here on the forum. Youmight want to find someone to show this to you right in front of your computer, or possibly by remote access...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Ok, the shop has agreed to take it back and exchange it for something more "analogue"..If some routing is, as you say "hard to explain" on the help forum then there's gotta be something wrong I reckon..routing shouldn't be hard to explain, total mix is amazing in it's abilities but way over what most people need..which is a quality unit such as this without all the complicated software..regards to you, Kevin

You seem to misinterpret what I said. What I said was if the video tutorials don't help, how will even the most carefully worded explanation help? And there is certainly nothing wrong.

That said, you can ignore Totalmix (leave at default) and just do everything in your audio software.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

shadowfax wrote:

Ok, the shop has agreed to take it back and exchange it for something more "analogue"..If some routing is, as you say "hard to explain" on the help forum then there's gotta be something wrong I reckon..routing shouldn't be hard to explain, total mix is amazing in it's abilities but way over what most people need..which is a quality unit such as this without all the complicated software..regards to you, Kevin

TM has a learning curve, but is pretty intuitive once you work with it a little.  With nearly limitless routing options, this does come with a degree of complexity.  As for it being "way over what most people need" you could not be more wrong.  After using it for a while, you quickly realize how limited nearly any other mixer is.

I'd highly suggest familiarizing yourself with the fabulous Totalmix.  Once you wrap your head around it and discover all of the neat applications for it you will wonder how you lived without it.  It's just one more feature that makes RME's cards so appealing.  Leaving RME because you don't currently understand Totalmix is a big mistake IMO.

Daniel's other comment about "you can ignore Totalmix (leave at default) and just do everything in your audio software" is also spot on.  IIRC, Totalmix Preset #1 will map all outputs in a 1:1 fashion, and Totalmix never affects your ASIO Inputs to your DAW Software for Recording (with the exception of Loopback).  Use Preset #1 for now and record away - don't even bother with Totalmix until you grasp it's layout and realize what possibilities it enables.

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

I found the manual really helpful.  I also use Cubase and got it going without much head banging. I'm traveling now, but would happy to help next week with Cubase if you have any questions.