Topic: RME UFX VS UCX (DA Conversion)

Hi,

Many thanks for making such great pro gears. I am a music producer/mastering engineer who is really keen to make 'radio' quality Electronic dance music. I work with mostly soft synths thus AD conversion is off little interest to me when compared to DA Conversion.

With the above stated, dynamic range (DA) is of uttermost importance and having read the tech specifications for both unit,  on your website
the Dynamic range for the UFX is  115 dB RMS unweighted, 118 dBA while that for the UC is 111 dB, 113 dBA @ 44.1 kHz (unmuted). Does this mean that the UFX has more dynamic range and which unit will you advice me to go for and why?

In addition to the above, any advice you can offer will be highly appreciated.

Many thanks
Rim J

Re: RME UFX VS UCX (DA Conversion)

Even if your music is not brickwall limited, no electronic dance music will possibly use anywhere near the entire dynamic range of these converters, which is already far beyond that of the CD... If your music were to have an actual musical dynamic range of 30 or 40 dB, that would be a lot, particularly for use in the dance hall... Therefore, this theoretical difference between the two devices will never become noticeable in real world applications of this nature, and hardly in any others, even the most dynamic of acoustic music, e.g. orchestra. which will hardly exceed 70 or 80 dB if left totally uncompressed.

I would suggest you choose according to the number of channels you need. Or maybe take into account whether or not you will need the UFX' USB recording feature...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Re: RME UFX VS UCX (DA Conversion)

Hi Daniel,

Thank you.

Regards
Rim J