1 (edited by JRM 2013-04-17 00:28:07)

Topic: Total mix confusion

I am trying to use the  " guitar line in" but have no idea how it is listed or how to enable it in Total mix?

I am going to assume its    'Analog Line in 1+2"......correct me if I am wrong

On the Babyface I chose " In" and set the volumes  up, I see no signal  either in Babyface or Totalmix, what am I doing wrong?

Ok  I found "settings" but not sure about the routing, right now the gain is set ridiculously high and I get a tiny signal,
Still missing a step??

Thanks

JRM

2 (edited by spacealf 2013-04-17 01:39:33)

Re: Total mix confusion

First it is only on Analog Channel 2. Click on the wrench graphic below the trim fader on Analog Channel 2 on top row next to the fader for Channel 2. There inside is either 48V for a mic input or next to that on about top - Inst for the guitar input.

Oh, and you might want to RTM.

3 (edited by JRM 2013-04-17 02:31:02)

Thanks I have been  " RTM" but I am still bamboozled, you see there is no Analog Channel 2, just Analog 1+2 in both Windows  and Total Mix, hitting the Wrench  icon , left click expands the menu, right click gives me ' Change Channel layout" so  I cannot find that dialogue box you speak of..still looking...volume set to absolute maximum, I can hardly hear anything.

Still very confusing, the manual says its all there but for the likes of  me I cannot find it. call me dumb, I am sure if you were here it would be a few mouse clicks.. but certain "assumptions are being made " that I don't follow....

For instance is " analog 1+2" the same as analog 2?..Where is it?????
I know for sure its not ADAT 3/4 /5/6 /7/8  its not SDIF/Adat 1+2..that leaves only Analog 1+2  which somehow becomes Analog 2, but still the volume is extremely low, why?

OK I can answer the volume question, the idiot at the store gave me the wrong type of  XLR cable, there are 2 types of course he gave me the wrong one.

Cheers, JRM

Solved, I have the correct cables and I misunderstood you about "where " to find those tiny little buttons hidden  at the top of the channel,   I almost missed them, there is Mic and Instr... That is definitely not described in the manual, you  almost need a microscope to see them.

Anyhow, wow, very nice preamps, clean sound.

So thanks again, I think the answer would be " you must look very carefully at  Totalmix, the buttons are very tiny so you might miss them!! smile

Cheers, JRM

> That is definitely not described in the manual,

Well, Channel settings are described on page 45 with the screenshot of the stereo channel AN 1/2. QED.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sorry about that did not explain quite right. In English in the manual it is page 21. But, if you click on the "Stereo" button and click it off, you get two channels instead of one stereo channel. Then the AN (Analog) 1/2 becomes with the first fader AN1 and the second fader is AN2. I use MONO so as to separate the channels, and ones I do not use I leave "Stereo". I use a resolution of my monitor so I can see TotalMixFX also on the screen when I change anything even though it may take up the entire screen, but what doesn't. My DAW does also.

Bye.

MC wrote:

Well, Channel settings are described on page 45 with the screenshot of the stereo channel AN 1/2. QED.

Yes there are good " verbal" explanations, but it would be good to have a  the tiny little buttons numbered or arrows or highlights   , showing you where to look. The image on page 45 is also quite small, compact and hard to see exactly whats what.

I found it by simply staring at the Channel  and asked " Dr Watson" what I missed....then bingo..there they were, these tiny cute radio buttons. Works like a charm.

Thanks again

Cheers, JRM

MC wrote:

Actually Matthias, my apologies.. there is an excellent quickstart guide in full colour   with a magnified view, with arrows that explains it  very nicely, it was just packed away in the box.
The Babyface is truly a remarkable product, hats off!

Cheers, JRM