Topic: Problem recording to the soundcard from mixer (allen & heath)

I am a dj and i was thinking of recording from the mixer, the mixer is a Allen & Heath Xone 42. I am using the Record output of the mixer using RCA Phono with a nominal -10dBv (-8dBu). It says it's a pre-level mix output for connection to external recording devices. I am using a cable with a lenght of three meters going from that Record output of the mixer to the Babyface Line in XLR inputs.

http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/products/ … p;SubCatId

I have big distortions on the input to my Babyface soundcard or more or less the sound quality is way worse then listening with the cans directly from the mixer itself. I tried to balance the meters to +0dB but i can't get it right no matter what i do.

Thanks very much for the help!

Re: Problem recording to the soundcard from mixer (allen & heath)

christianh wrote:

I am a dj and i was thinking of recording from the mixer, the mixer is a Allen & Heath Xone 42. I am using the Record output of the mixer using RCA Phono with a nominal -10dBv (-8dBu). It says it's a pre-level mix output for connection to external recording devices. I am using a cable with a lenght of three meters going from that Record output of the mixer to the Babyface Line in XLR inputs.

http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/products/ … p;SubCatId

I have big distortions on the input to my Babyface soundcard or more or less the sound quality is way worse then listening with the cans directly from the mixer itself. I tried to balance the meters to +0dB but i can't get it right no matter what i do.

Thanks very much for the help!

When you turn the channel fader down does the distortion lessen? You'll probably find that you have your babyface inputs set to mic level, and you are sending it line level.

Not sure where in TMFX the switch is, but it should be easy to find in the manual.

Isaac P

There is no switch, but with no gain applied, the inputs will work for line level. This should work fine for a signal coming in at -10... Is this digital or analog distortion, i.e. do the input meters in Totalmix go into the red?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

There is no switch, but with no gain applied, the inputs will work for line level. This should work fine for a signal coming in at -10... Is this digital or analog distortion, i.e. do the input meters in Totalmix go into the red?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Also have you checked your cables to make sure they are wired correctly? (in the manual from memory)

Sorry for the slightly incorrect info also! :-)

Isaac P