1 (edited by dilly 2013-04-27 20:39:52)

Topic: What is the best RME for me for my needs (still searching)

It has come time for a new interface and here's what I'm looking for.

- digital connection for 2 channel of ADC + DAC (BLA Sparrow AD and DA which also has headphones)
- extra spdif coaxial + adat input for additional ADC
- midi

The most important thing for me is going to be getting a tight sync for recording a external drum machine, so that is why I would favor going the PCIe route in order to make response via midi AS RESPONSIVE and tight as possible.

Is a RME device right for me?  I am considering a UCX which would probably give me great performance until I can get a high quality ADC and DAC but the UCX would leave me with only 1 adat input which would limit recording of a synth via spdif but I can live with that.

The UFX would give me all the digital I need + more, but I would have no use for all the extra audio outputs.  The direct recording though is super enticing just to be able to press a button to record on demand.  On the other hand I feel the UFX is just going to be using way to much power for what I'm looking for.

And PCIe is a serious contender for me because I like to have things neat and tucked away and not be needing extra connections and AFAIK the latency is ever so slightly better on these.  It's a big step to get a pcie device because I admit I am used to the desktop utility range of device which has 'all-in-one' support and ease of use - but terrible performance!  As I mentioned before my priority for my interface device is to use in with great sync to some midi instruments and do improve my conversion I am willing to get additional DAC and ADC like the BLA Sparrow.

Is the Madi and Madi XT range a contender?

any thoughts welcome

Re: What is the best RME for me for my needs (still searching)

I would say, Fireface UCX is an excellent choice  and for PCIe, the HDSPe AIO would be an excellent choice provided you use professional " balanced " cables or work pure, with  SDIF/ Optical or ADAT

For pure portability and utility the BabyFace is also excellent value

The MADI  has 128 channels, do you need 128 channels?

Whatever choice you make, don't go cheap on your cables and PA / Monitors set up, they are just as crucial.

Cheers, JRM