Topic: Lemur - iPad OSC Remote for TotalMix FX

After TouchOSC, see

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=13115

we are happy to announce that a fully functional template is available for Lemur (available in the App Store). As you can see in the below screenshots the 'shade' template is really nice looking, and is based on Lemur's latest skin engine.

The template uses double-tap to reset various pots to zero (very useful), doesn't have the pot-turning-jump-to-extremes-problem that TouchOSC had in the beginning, and the faders are operated only with a tap on the fader cap, which prevents them from jumping to max when accidentally tapping somewhere in the fader area.

Download:

http://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/379/

Note 08/06/2013: I will update the below pics next week with the latest version having level meters

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Lemur - iPad OSC Remote for TotalMix FX

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/lemur_01.png
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/lemur_02.png
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/lemur_03.png

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Typical setup:

Lemur - OSC Targets - OSC 0 Host (computer with TM FX IP) - Port: 9000

TotalMix FX OSC: Port incoming: 9000, Port outgoing: 8000

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The current OSC commands table is here:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/os … talmix.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the Lemur Template!
I'm taking it out for a spin.

RME Fireface UFX
Mac Mini 2.6 GHz 16 GB Ram Areca RAID | MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz 16 GB Ram | OS 10.10.5

6 (edited by jaynyc 2013-04-29 17:36:19)

Question:  how many "steps" are there in fader travel using TouchOSC (this Lemur template) with TotalMX FX?  For example, in standard 7bit MIDI, there are 128 steps.

thanks

The Submix label is stuck on ADAT 3/4 on my template. Is this a known issue at the moment?

RME Fireface UFX
Mac Mini 2.6 GHz 16 GB Ram Areca RAID | MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz 16 GB Ram | OS 10.10.5

No. And there is no Submix label (see above). What do you mean exactly? I can change the current submix any time by hitting the Solo button in the Output row of Lemur. Or are you talking about TM FX highlighting? Then you did not activate Options - Submix linked to OSC Control.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The fader itself does not travel more than 128 pixels in TM FX, so no need for a higher resolution.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

No. And there is no Submix label (see above). What do you mean exactly? I can change the current submix any time by hitting the Solo button in the Output row of Lemur. Or are you talking about TM FX highlighting? Then you did not activate Options - Submix linked to OSC Control.

In the Mixer page there is a a text object at the lower right. The object has the name labelSubmix in the Lemur Editor.

RME Fireface UFX

MC wrote:

Ok! I fixed it. It was an error in the labelling of the object.
Do you want me to email you the template?

RME Fireface UFX

Ah, I see...overlooked that one. Yes, please send it, I will forward the info to the Lemur guys.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The fixed template is sent.
Cheers!

/Eric

RME Fireface UFX

14 (edited by PhilippeMustang 2013-05-01 09:14:39)

Hi,

I'd like to go on with my UFX on Stage and the template for my Jazz/Bossa trio like I described about a year ago in this thread : http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=13898
Since then, 2 major things have happen : The UFX is "Class Compliant", and I now have an iPad 3 !
So my question is a little related to your thread Matthias and Eric :

With the UFX connected to the iPad3 via an USB cable and the USB/iPad dock adaptator, and with the Liine Lemur software on the iPad and my "Live template", would it be possible to run my set without a computer ? (I have the feeling it may be possible now ;o)
Would I have access to the settings I prepared on the template of my previous post ?
Thanks for your help !

Philippe - www.bluevelvetband.fr

PhilippeMustang wrote:

...and with the Liine Lemur software on the iPad and my "Live template", would it be possible to run my set without a computer ?

Lemur talks via OSC with TotalMix FX. TotalMix is an application on your computer.
What you need is this:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=17250

RME Fireface UFX

Thanks Eric for your answer, I'm a little disapointed 'cause I'd really like to drive my set with a personalised template without the need of the PC.
Anyway, I'll follow your advice and wait patiently for the iPad App to be available (the demo on YouTube seems great)
Philippe

Thank you for the template, this is great! I see now that Lemur is much better than TouchOSC. At least for me it is, as I can now easily control everything (ableton, TMFX, synths. etc) from the same app.

Btw, I noticed that the mute, solo, and fader group buttons on page 3 have no feedback, and don't show their
state any way. Is this a bug, or something not yet possible?

Also can you tell, if you will allow the opposite ganging of mute buttons (with mute groups) at some point? wink

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

Neither Snapshots nore groups are signalled, although the buttons are working. I will forward this.

Opposite ganging of buttons is not on our list, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

bsfreq wrote:

At least for me it is, as I can now easily control everything (ableton, TMFX, synths. etc) from the same app.

Bsfreq, can you explain this a little?  I have TouchOSC now and am considering whether to change to Lemur.  I was unaware of the ability of Lemur to control various applications at the same time, and don't understand how it works.  Is there some easy way to toggle between different host applications?  I would love to be able to control both Sonar and TM with Lemur, as long as I could quickly switch between the two.

You can build a small OSC router in Max or PureData, that works also for TouchOSC:
- Listening to a port (the "out" from TouchOSC or Lemur)
- Forwarding selected messages to TotalMix (via an different port to localhost), or an other software (via a other port to localhost) : simply forward the concerned pages (with "osc-route /1 /2 /3").

neirbod wrote:
bsfreq wrote:

At least for me it is, as I can now easily control everything (ableton, TMFX, synths. etc) from the same app.

Bsfreq, can you explain this a little?  I have TouchOSC now and am considering whether to change to Lemur.  I was unaware of the ability of Lemur to control various applications at the same time, and don't understand how it works.  Is there some easy way to toggle between different host applications?  I would love to be able to control both Sonar and TM with Lemur, as long as I could quickly switch between the two.

Well yeah. That's just it, you don't have to "toggle between hosts". Lemur has 7 midi ports instead of just one (each still having all 16 channels) (and  just as many OSC targets as well, and you can have every button or fader sending messages to whatever host you want. I already have faders and buttons on same lemur "page" that control things from ableton, some control TMFX and some my kaoss pad etc.. And I love the lemur editor. It's very powerful and easy to build layouts that have the controls you need. When the TMFX lemur template came out, I just copypasted it to my own template adding three more pages to it. Now I have TMFX on OSC 1, bome's midi translator on midi 6 and ableton on midi 7. Still plenty of ports unused. cool

That is a fantastic feature!  I was not sure about whether to make the switch from Touch OSC to Lemur, but now definitely will.

I fully agree. Even if our iPad app would (just imagination) have wireless support it doesn't make clever apps like Lemur obsolete. They are specialized in being customizable far beyond whatever we would implement. And: it is always good to have an alternative.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

24 (edited by bsfreq 2013-05-05 18:13:36)

MC wrote:

Opposite ganging of buttons is not on our list, sorry.

Ok, thanks for the info. Got to find another way then.. How about increasing the number of mute groups? Any plans on that one?
If I had enough of those, I might be able to link two mute groups (with opposite state) to one controller button..

25 (edited by neirbod 2013-05-13 14:43:12)

There appears to be a problem with this template  I tried editing the TM template in the Lemur editor. It loads and shows page 3 by default.  I can edit the object in page 3 (e.g. reverb sends) but when I try to switch to another page it crashes the editor program.  I tried editing a few other templates and have no trouble with them, only the TM template results in a crash.  Perhaps I am doing something wrong. Have others had this problem?

EDIT - Resolved.  I searched the Lemur forums and found this is a known issue with some of the newer skins.  Once you load the TM template, go to settings and change to the classic skin. This fixes the crashing problem.

Is it normal that i don´t get any metering feedback on the ipad ?

Please give dedicated OSC addresses to as much of TotalMix as possible, especially to volume and mutes. I would like to have dedicated faders for inputs and outputs at the same time, without having to push a buss button to switch between them.  I'm trying to program around this but it is a headache.

I realize you probably were trying to limit the OSC bandwidth, but dedicated addresses for level controls are necessary to have the most flexibility to get the most out of the Lemur / RME combination. 

Thank you for your work so far and for supporting OSC!

28 (edited by dekantierer 2013-07-13 14:33:19)

does the lemur-app also work with fireface 400 or UC's totalmix ?

Any update on the metering ?

A new version with all bugs fixed and added level meters is available here:

http://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/379/

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

31 (edited by neirbod 2013-08-06 20:12:25)

Fantastic!  Looking forward to trying it out. 

Does the new version have record and playback control?

32 (edited by Derick 2013-08-06 20:21:51)

Hi Matthias,

Many thanks for the upload, but i can´t load it.
Lemur editor crash when i try to load the template to it.

any ideas ?

Btw, i use win7 32 bit and the latest Lemur editor

I found the solution, just have to set to classic skin.
so this bug in Lemur editor is not yet solved.

Anyway, i am very happy with this update.

I found a little bug in the latest version.

The metering on channel 6 and 7 (in the mixer page) are switched
This appears in the input, the playback and the output page.

In the channelstip page they are ok

35 (edited by dcecavac 2013-08-07 16:57:54)

Hello Matthias,

Is there any chance that 3.14 version of Totalmix for the FF800 can work with Lemur?
I see there is no option to enable OSC, MIDI only. I do however have an option in preferences
to select midi in/out and i can see Lemur Daemon ports there.

I've also found a previous version of Totalmix template for Lemur which fits the 3.14v of Totalmix

Any luck for me?

p.s. I am using iConnect midi interface so there's no need to go via WI-FI as my iPad is connected physically to the midi interface

Thanks,
Daniel

36 (edited by Derick 2013-08-07 19:49:59)

Ok, switched meter 6 and 7 in the lemur editor, and all is working fine now.

Only double tap on rotary knobs is hit and mis, but it is no big deal.

37 (edited by neirbod 2013-08-07 22:32:30)

I fixed the meter problem Derick identified, and also added controls for record, play, and stop on page 3. The revised template is at the folder linked below and called TotalMix130807.

http://nomadrecordingstudio.com/Lemur/

I also incorporated some additions I made to the prior template to this new one to make it more useful (to me anyway) for live work.  Specifically it allows one "click" control of submixes from the main mixer page.  I posted a separate thread on this here:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic … 298#p88298

38 (edited by bassface 2013-08-23 08:12:48)

Hello! 

I have just tried installing both latest template from the liine website as well as the most recent that neirbod has shared. 
The parts that work do so amazingly, however there is some functionality that I can't seem to get working.

The core of the issue revolves around many of the controls not working for the "Inputs" and "Playback"  selections.
None of the faders (on both mixer & channel strip pages) except for the Master seem to send any data to  TMFX (or receive data from) tmfx to lemur) for either of them even though the channel names and show, chan left/right and  bank left/right buttons work. 

Additionally, the case is the same with the 'solo' and 'select' buttons.  TMFX receives no data when "inputs" or "Playback" is selected  They stay lit when pressed on the lemur, but TMFX does not react.  This is true as well for both the mixer and channel strip pages.  The Mute buttons work in the above scenarios and  all of this works normally when "outputs" is selected.

Although seemingly unrelated,  I was poking around the template in the lemur editor and came across an object (PanLetter_Strip in channel strip folder)  that has an error in its related script (according to the editor anyway).  I'm new to lemur scripting, but wasn't able to identify the error in the code:
--

decl val = round(Pan_Strip.x * 200);
decl letter;
if (val == 100) letter = '';
else if (val < 100) letter = 'L';
else letter = 'R';
setattribute(getobject(),'content',letter);

--

This results in the large channel pan knob on the channel strip page always displaying "L" no matter which side the knob is turned to.

Is anyone else experiencing these issues or have any idea how I might be able to resolve them?

Thanks in advance for your help! smile

Hi all,

The concept is really great and the screenshots look appealing, but I don't get it.
It barely works for me... I can move the faders in the iPad and see the effect under TotalMix FX, but not much else... No labels or levels pass through to the iPad, and when I press the several buttons on the iPad, they flash but won't produce any result and don't stay on...
Also, nothing I do directly in TotalMix FX reflects in Lemur.

Am I missing something?
Perhaps I have an incomplete configuration?

I am really new to Lemur.
A step-by-step guide would help.

What I did was:
1. Installed Lemur in the iPad and on my MacBook Pro.
2. Opened the iPad Lemur app.
3. Opened Lemur Editor, opened template and connected to iPad, it automatically transfers the template.
4. Configured OSC Target+port in iPad settings and ports in TotalMix FX.
5. Enabled OSC Control in TotalMix FX.

And that's pretty much it.
Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

4. It seems these settings are not correct. Or your computer and the iPad are not in the same network.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hey there fourhexagons. Did you get it going? I'm having the same problem, I just cannot get the Lemur template going.

Win 7-64/Cubase 7.5 64bit/Intel i7 on Asus P7/UCX over USB

Hi
A little pro-investigation question from me here.
I have the Fireface UFX and the Octamic XTC connected together, using it as my main receiver for regordings and PA source for the band.
I got Lemur - iPad OSC to work (tested with Babyface only so far). But my question is.

Will I be able to build a Lemur template that control BOTH interfaces? I use only the XLR inputs on both interfaxes (12) in all, but I am not sure how to idetify the XTC, so the the commands access the right ports. I guess i is all about copying some of the stuff already produced in the template, and changing the configuration.

It would be fantastic to have a remote wireless controller, at least for my basic configurations.

Anyone have at tips on howe to identifie the right interface, or any tips/experience to share so far. At least what I 've tried so fare works fine with the babyface.

I have a Win 7 PC wit iPad Air which I want to use with my UFX/XTC configuration

Any good feedback would help, as I am pretty rookie on this stuff

Thanks

43 (edited by pnik 2014-02-11 10:26:02)

Hi. Lemur remote works great with TotalMix. I have one question though.

I would like to setup two Lemur remote control instances, using two ipads.
Under the settings and  on the  OSC TAB there's a possibility to choose the "index 1 -4" and wheter the index in question is enabled or not.

Why is is so that if I enable the first "index" the second "index" goes offline, even though that the enable is ticket  (on the second one).
I have used different ip's and different outgoing ports as well as same outgoing ports.
If I disable the first "index" then the second "index" works.

br, Petri

>>> I would like to comment my own post.
The problem is in the Lemur, or actually it's not a problem, just  feature. I haven't found the possibility to change the incoming port in Lemur. I have asked this from they support. So Total Mix is working just as it should, obviously it can't send UDP packet's from two different "indexes" to same dst port.
>>>

I wonder if anyone has tried using something like Remoter VNC or some other app that allows one to view and control the computers screen and functions directly then run the local totalmix fx program rather than using osc or midi control? I happen to be writing this post right now two rooms away from my computer, monitoring my screen and typing on my iPad mini. I certainly need to become more familiar with the apps controls, but it seems impressively seamless.

I did that with Splashtop. It works as advertized, but causes a certain load on the PC system resources, and using it can easily cause havoc as the normal TM FX surface is not optimized for touch control. These apps are not expensive, simply try it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hey,

I tried Touch OSC; it was cheap.
What a shit! A soft on AC: that works, that not works that works that not works.... very professional.
I did one good date with and only one.

I bought Lemur, I foolishly thought, I pay more, I can hope to have something better;
what a big mistake.
Lemur is really a big shit on AC..... like Touch OSC.
For the same price, choose to go to restaurant with your wife.
No response on the Lemur forum for many guys " what's the good combination between iOS and OSX ?".

Fortunatly, RME have a very good forum. But please RME guys, no advertising for these "START DOWN"; Even If I'm french and if I think that Lemur staff is french, I can't adhere to their commercial policy.

RME UFX user.

Philippe Perié

I have no clue what you are talking about. Or maybe I have: Touch OSC and Lemur both work perfectly and as advertised. If not then the problem is most probably somewhere in your wired and wireless network. Your personal experience might be bad, but many others (including users of this forum, and we, of course) use them with great success.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi fourhexagons and Raxxyboy,
I solved the same problem.

1. Connect RME UCX or another.
2. From the Options menu (TotalMix), check “Enable OSC Control”.

It should be happy!!
Have a good Lemur and TM life.
Thanks.

Ryota

49 (edited by Urban 2014-10-25 20:58:14)

fourhexagons wrote:

4e: And lastly, TotalMix settings for my UCX:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67288784/TotalMixOSCSettings.png

I noticed that there are no remote services found in 4e. Is this the cause of my issue?

Any help (preferably with clear specifics) is appreciated.

Thanks!

Same here: no Remote Services Found

When i switch to touchOSC my iPad is listed. Switch back to Lemur app and it`s disappeared

Where you set the incoming port (lemur app)? it`s only oneway here.

edit: incoming Port is always 8000, now everything is cool!

Fireface UFX | Fireface800 | Babyface | Octamic II | ADI-2 | ADI-648 | Audient asp 008

50 (edited by gabrieltauk 2015-09-26 04:35:19)

hey,
I have a UFX and now I want to control it with Lemur by OSC. But I have serious problems with the RME official template . It can not receive the channel names and all buttons are functioning as a pad , not as a switch. I can not receive also the information on the signal in dB -FS. In the mixer tab , the mute and solo functions do not work, and the solo button do not appear. Can you help me?
(Sorry about my english...)