1 (edited by JHMusic 2013-05-04 05:27:26)

Topic: Line out noise

When using powered monitors through XLR line out, I get noise.  This is a recording using an SM57, and this is the power spectrum.  Just to clarify, the cutouts in noise are actually happening and not a result of the recording process.  The strange thing is, it goes away completely only when I open up Windows Media Player and returns either when I close it or some time (somewhere between 10 mins to an hour) later.  Other software such as foobar will not fix it.  Opening an ASIO application also has no effect.  I'm using driver 1.030 and firmware 203 on Windows 8 x64. Has anybody encountered this type of problem before?

2 (edited by JHMusic 2013-05-05 04:06:23)

Re: Line out noise

Seem to have isolated the problem.  When my CPU is under heavy load, the noise disappears completely.  Still not sure as to the cause, although I suspect the CPU changing frequencies may be the culprit.  Does anyone have any ideas?
EDIT: After downloading the Intel Turbo Boost monitor, I can confirm that the noise only occurs when the CPU is in Energy Saver mode.  Is there a fix in the works for this?

Try different USB port. Use both USB plugs for better power delivery. Use an external power supply for the BF (Sherlock told me by analysing your 1.030/203 statement - you forgot to give any useful information about your system). Checking for ground loops. Etc...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sorry about the lack of information.  The system is an i7 3930k on an ASUS P9X79, and I'm using Equator D5 monitors with a HS10W, with balanced cables all the way through.  I was already using both USB plugs.  I don't have a compatible external power supply, or know how to check for ground loops, but I managed to eliminate the noise by disabling SpeedStep in the BIOS, so I guess the point is moot.