Topic: LTC (SMPTE) and FF800

Hello,
I'm thinking of revive my old 8 track tape recorder to use it in sync with my FF800/Mac. I use PT and Logic. I used to do this a lot 10 years ago and I know it should work. I plan to record SMPTE on tape and feed my Unitor8 with it to slave the computer to the tape machine. My questions are:
will it work...? I mean with varyspeed.
will I get a lot of jitter or steadyclock will resolve it?
is there any benefit soundwise using the TCO for the fireface over Unitor8, and will Logic and PT work with it?
thanks in advance

Re: LTC (SMPTE) and FF800

I wonder if there's something confusing in my question...
I'll try to sum up:

Will Ff800 varyspeed properly with the MTC using Unitor8?. I assume it will, but don't know yet and my tape machine is broken right now, so I can't test.

Will I get too much jitter or sound quality problems from this way of working and, if any, will Steadyclock solve at least some?

Will I get any benefit replacing Unitor8 with a TCO unit?

regards
G

84 views and any answer... I really wonder why...

I've re read carefully my questions and other than a language problem I can't see what's wrong to get any comment.

sad

Honestly, I have worked with pro video machines and some timecode chase functions in DA88 decks but I never had to deal with synching audio tape and sync signals and a DAW.
I am only guessing here but I would surmise that not a lot of people on this forum have much experience with synching a DAW and interface with multitrack tape (either open reel or cassette) and if they did have experience it's probably been quite a while and not with any of the modern audio interfaces.
That might explain the lack of response.
Best of luck to you on your quest though.

I used to work a lot with tape and DAW back in 2001 with a PII 233Mhz machine running Logic with Audiowerk8 and Aark20 at the same time and it worked. Then, 10 years later I suppose it may work with a FF800, but maybe varying sample rates on the fly is not part of the new drivers or hardware or something. As RME sells a TCO I suppose they may know if there is any advantage using their unit or it's basically the same as it always was.
thanks for the kind words smile