Topic: Emphasis

Hi,

I just got my FF400 and connected it to Genelec 8250s via SPDIF. Everything's fine and working perfectly.
Now I just came across this "Emphasis" box in the settings - and I wonder whether to tick it or not??
Sound seems right when it is not ticked, but what is it all about, in which case would I have to tick it?
The manual doesn't help me, nor does the wikipedia article...

Re: Emphasis

You'd only need to tick it if you were playing back material that was recorded/converted with Preemphasis on. This is extremely rare today, no current converters use it and the Genelecs may not even be able to apply Deemphasis (don't know...). So leave it off...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

You'd only need to tick it if you were playing back material that was recorded/converted with Preemphasis on. This is extremely rare today, no current converters use it and the Genelecs may not even be able to apply Deemphasis (don't know...). So leave it off...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I have also question.
I use rme hdsp 9632 for playing audio files. I dont record stuff.
From what I understand proper playback (default) of audio files occurs when empasis checkbox is ticked or not.
if not is has mor top end if ticked it has less top end. So what is proper?

regards
Valera

That depends on your source material. A ticked Emphasis box applies a deemphasis function to the material played back, e.g. gains down high frequencies. If you don´t use very rare late 80´s CDs it´s likely you don´t need deemphasis. So let the box unchecked (less high frequencies)