Topic: Problem with buffer size

Hello,

I'm a new owner of a RME firefce UC and i have a problem with buffer size.

I can configure the buffer size to 512 ou 1024 sample and i can lauch "total mix" without any problems. I can play instrument and have direct monitoring ect...
BUT, if i lauch a DAW (like Cubase 5 or Pro tool 9), i have some type of meter peaks in the playback channels of the daw (center row, represented in total mix). None instruments or sources are connected in any inputs of the sound card. Peaks are discontinued and quite loud.

So, i have tried different buffer sizes and it works fine with values until 256 sample.

Could you help me to unsderstand why i can't use 512 or higher values ? And if do you know more about this phenomena ?

For information, with my previous sound card, digidesign mbox mini, i could use 512 and 1024 sample values without any problems...

MY SETUP :
- Windows 7 premium
- 4 Go ram
- Nvidia 8600 GT

Thank you a lot for all the need you could bring to me.

Re: Problem with buffer size

Sounds strange that you're not able to use 512 or higher.
Most of the time I have buffer set at 2048 with my UC when I don't have to play any VSTi realtime.

What buffer options do you have in Fireface USB Settings before opening Cubase or Pro Tools?

Sonicimage studio
RME FF UFX, XTC, ADI-648, MADIface USB
W10 Pro 64bit

My settings before lauching the DAW are :

Total mix version 0.989
Fireface usb Settings :
- Buffer size 512 sample and 0/0 errors (even in 1024 sample)
- Outpout format (songle speed not checked, Optical : Spdif and Spdif coax : COnsumer)
- SPdif in (TMS checked)
- Sample rate : 44100 HZ
- Clock source : Spdif coax (because i have a Kemper amplificater profiler connected in SPDIF)
- Pitch : 0.000%

NO problem with this config. It appears only when i lauch a DAW.
Suddenly, my Software playback channel AN 1/2 have meter peaks with cubase
With protools, it is all the software channels playback having these peaks.

No instrument or source connected in any input of my sound card.
2 monitors connected in line outpout 1 et 2
A kemper profiler connected in spdif in.

In order to enhance the comprehension of my problem.

Here is a video available at this adress.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smO3vd5T … e=youtu.be

Please, if any admin or technical staff member of rme could help me. It's very urgent.

Please check which firmware and driver version is reported in Fireface USB Settings (About tab). Current firmware for the UC is v118.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I have the latest firmware dowlaoded on your site.

I also test sound card with another config and it works fine.
- Windows 7 familial premium 64bits
- 4Go de ram
- Intel I5 M80 2.67Ghz
- Carte graphique AMD Radeon HD 6370M

Have you any clues to help me to identify what is the component wich made sound card not worked ?

The sound is quite similar I had several years ago with Steinberg VSL2020 soundcard with ADAT in.
It had difficulties in syncing.

My best guess is that there is something weird with the Cubase settings since pops starts only when Cubase is launched and there is nothing in the input row.

Sonicimage studio
RME FF UFX, XTC, ADI-648, MADIface USB
W10 Pro 64bit