Topic: bluescreen when updating flash of HDSP PCI

Hi,

my Hammerfall DSP Multiface give me some headache in combination with my PCI interface card.

I am using pa_wavplayrecord ASIO routines under Matlab to record time signals. I have a pistonphone connected to a microphone which plays a sine signal with a quite low THD at a frequency of 250 Hz. The microphone is connected to analog input 1 of the Multiface soundcard. I reserve an input buffer with a length 132300 samples and get a result vector with a length of 88200 samples. The resulting signal is not complete but seems to be convolved with a certain rectangle duty cycle (e.g. sine signal from 0.4869s to 0.4977s and then only zeros up to 0.8576s...the duty cycle depends on the sampling frequency which can be set in the pa_wavplayrecord function). This sounds weird to me in the first place! So I assume, that I have the wrong HDSP settings. The routine works fine with the same multiface on other PCs and I also changed the PCIInterface card to exclude a hardware defect.

I now wanted to control my HDSP settings. This just gives me a warning, that there is an "RME Hammerfall DSP Hardware Mismatch!" and gives me the hint to update the firmware and I cannot change any parameters. When updating the firmware, I receive a nice bluescreen, no matter which driver I am using (I tried drivers from 2007 up to now). I alsways did use the proper set and it ends after having erased the flash memory.

Any clue what can cause these bluescreens?

greets
Bernd

Re: bluescreen when updating flash of HDSP PCI

Hi,

some additional information about my system:

WinXP 32bit version
RME Hammerfall DSP PCI Interface Rev 1.8
measurement routine works on other PCs
Multiface soundcard works on other PCs

drivers and FW versions tested so far:

bluesreen message:
NMI: partiy check / memory parity  error
the system has halted

thanks in advance
Bernd

Can you please try flashing the card on a different (working) computer?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Hi,

turns out, it might be a hardware defect on my motherboard. But I am not 100% sure as I did two modifications at once.

1) I had a third PCI Interface card of revision 1.9
2) I plugged the card into another PCI slot

as two cards did show the same erroneous behavior on the same slot, I expect, that this PCI slot is broken, but I will cross check the PCI interface cards on another (working) PC or the working slot as well.

cheers
Bernd