Topic: MADIFACE & Pyramix Crashing new build every time

Hello,

System:
DELL Precision 4600 Laptop brand new, Windows 7 Professional SP1, 16GB RAM, 64 bit system.

Pyramix Native 8.0.10 Build 19243 30.01.2013

Interface: RME MADIFACE Driver: 3.35 connected to SSL Alphalink via MADI

I have everything loaded correctly, but I get constant crashing of Pyramix and then the entire computer.  I have turned off all internal sounds and wiFi connections.  Initially this helped with a "no play" even though the PLAY light was lit on the transport control.  But this too is still a problem.

I create a project then try to play for a test - sometimes it plays, sometimes it does not.  If it doesn't, only correction is complete shut down and restart.  If it does play, I record for test.  Maybe I get three, four test records then - no "PLAY" or complete freeze.  Whole computer has to be hard shut down.

If I want to freeze the computer quickly, all I have to do is try to look at the RME Hammerfall control window or mixer while Pyramix is on.  Only solution is a hard shut down. 

ALSO- I don't even have to have PYRAMIX on, I can have RME control window and/or mix window up and then try to view "Sound devices" in control panel.  This will immediately freeze the computer.

I have tried earlier versions of RME drivers, no success.  I have completely cleaned and reinstalled Pyramix and my keys multiple times, no success.

ANY help at all is very appreciated.  Thank you.

Re: MADIFACE & Pyramix Crashing new build every time

Is that a HDSPe ExpressCard? How old?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Is that a HDSPe ExpressCard? How old?

Yes: HDSPe  MADIFace ExpressCard/34 Serial No. 23179439

Note - there are no problems when I use it with my MACBOOK Pro, but I need it on the PC.

Thank you.

Some updates:

I have confirmed that I am setting clock in the RME ASIO device.  Pyramix also locks to it.  Most times Pyramix will play and record upon opening, but then after a while, it freezes.

I can immediately make the computer freeze if I try to open RME HDSP Mixer while Pyramix is open.

Other tests:
Pyramix running with ASIO4ALL - no problems.  Plays, records, sync lock at 88.2 internal (= good install)

Running RMEDSP Driver and creating Mix Presets in HDSP Mixer WITHOUT Pyramix running - no problems.  I can create mix presets and recall.  No crashing. (= good install of drivers?)

This problem only occurs when I try to get Pyramix and RME to work together.

5 (edited by fl 2013-05-22 13:08:14)

Two suggestions - both Pyramix related (apologies to the group):

When running Pyramix and you open the Madiface Settings window - do you do that from within Pyramix, or directly from Windows? Merging recommends that you access any interface's settings from within Pyramix, to avoid problems.

Try updating Pyramix to version 8.0.12, which really did fix a number of bugs.

Frank Lockwood
https://LockwoodARS.com
Fireface 800, Firmware 2.77
Drivers: Win10, 3.125; Mac, 3.36

Still no resolution.  I have it from Merging Support that there is a possible problem with the PCIe slot.  Can anyone here confirm this:
If you have a crash, does the RME mixing board look like no level, but show you "overs"?  Anyone else see this?  Their solution was to swap out the mother board.

I would not rule out that the MADIface is defective. Can you try to exchange it? Youz might also try the latest firmware 23 from our website.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The MADIFace is not defective as I just used it with my MacBook Pro, recording all day without a single problem.  It needs to work with the Dell though as I have to run Pyramix. 
Thanks Matthias.  BTW- do you know of anyone in New York City that does diagnostics for this type of problem?

Please try firmware 23 first.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME