Topic: UFX Firewire Not Working - Firmware / Drivers Up To Date! Please Help

Just bought a UFX  - was excited to get it home...
Here's what i did:

Racked it, plugged it in - connected USB to do firmware update - Installed most up to date OSX driver - Removed USB connection - restarted my mac / powered off UFX - connected firewire cable - powered up UFX: NOTHING HAPPENS.

The RME is unresponsive when connecting the firewire. I've tried multiple computers, several different cables - still no luck. Am i missing something?

Alternatively, if i plug in the USB - instantly the computer responds and the RME is onboard. With my laptop based mobile recording rig - i really need to run this off of firewire, as i need to use my USB ports for other things.

I'm a 2 hour drive to the dealer i bought it from, so it would be very helpful to solve this problem without having to go back there.

Re: UFX Firewire Not Working - Firmware / Drivers Up To Date! Please Help

DARKLARK wrote:

Racked it, plugged it in - connected USB to do firmware update - Installed most up to date OSX driver - Removed USB connection - restarted my mac / powered off UFX - connected firewire cable - powered up UFX: NOTHING HAPPENS.

What would you expect to happen...? I don't see you mention having installed the Firewire driver for the UFX.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Congrats, ff UFX is a kick ass unit. cool

There are two installers. One for USB and one for firewire. Just install the FW driver also and you're good to go.

Fireface UFX+ | Fireface UFX | Babyface Pro | 12Mic

Sorry - left that out of my description (but included it in my subject line)...of course, the first thing I did was install the driver - The driver I installed was added 12/20 and is called Fireface_x86.zip

I loaded the driver and restarted my computer before trying the Fireface. I did it twice just to make sure.

Am I missing something else?

That is strange. Did you load the latest firmware into the UFX via USB? Can you check that the FW port is working (with a different device)? Can you try a different FW cable?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Had the same symptoms on Windows 8. Had just forgotten to set default windows playback channels to Analog (9+10), Phones 1 smile

I have my second UFX replaced after the firewire failed, and it has just died on this one too. Great bit of kit when it works but I think it's the end of the road for me.