Topic: Hardware Malfunction on Multiface MK1

Hi there,

I am one of the first RME users that goes back to 1998 and still the proud owner of a Multiface 2001 model. The unit has been in storage for about 5 years and today I wanted use it and some hardware malfunction appeared.

When I plugged the 12vDC power supply, not the original but this one is rated 1.7A as I had to match the 1.25A required on the manual. The "Host Error" light lit up straight away and all the other LEDs were on dim when I plugged the unit to the soundcard. A few seconds later, some light smoke came out of the back panel, seemed like PCB insulation burning. So after immediately taking the power down I opened the unit, pulled out the main board onto my bench and reapplied 12v. I noticed the lm2585s chip getting really really hot so I removed power immediately to avoid further damage.

The insides are really clean, no dust or anything suspicious, so I wonder about polarity, as I read on this forum that it does not matter if the + is inside or outside the power jack.

Does this problem sounds familiar to anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Vonz.

Re: Hardware Malfunction on Multiface MK1

Polarity is not an issue, this must be something else... I would suggest to send the unit in and check whether it can be repaired in an economical fashion... You will get a quote before the actual repair.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME