Topic: Recording an Instrument using Babyface and LogicPro on an Imac

Hello Group!

I am more musician than engineer/mixer and have some noob questions that are NOOB in many ways, so try not to allow your snigger turn into a guffaw when you read them, but help would be appreciated.  And yes, I've read babyface manual and watched some tutorials, but my questions are so basic, the manuals and tutorials I've come across don't address them b/c to a certain degree, I think the manuals and videos for the Totalmix are written/filmed for someone who is quite handy getting around on a real mixer.  I'm also a noob b/c although I've owned my Baby and LogicPro for a few months now, a health situation in my family prevents me from getting to spend consistent quality time with it, so I'm in a persistent state of noob-ness.  I've included the specs for my computer, LogicPro, and Baby, Totalmix below in case that is relevant.  So here goes,

1. Doesn't Logic Pro have all those mixing routing choices, and if so, why use the Totalmixer in Babyface for them?  Or is there no way to bypass the Totalmix?  Do I have to route everything in the totalmix, or can I bypass it completely, or can I just use whatever its simplest function for getting the signal through to LogicPro?

2. I essentially just want to be able to plug and play my instruments to record (at least initially) the basic tracks, so what is the simplest, quickest way to do that?    Also, I know you can plug an instrument straight into the Babyface on the right side of the device itself, but what if you want to use the breakout cable.  Since the two line ins on the breakout cables are XLRs, then do I have to go direct, either out of a direct out signal on an amp, or through a DI box?

Computer Specs
IMac 21.5inch Mid 2011
Processor:  2.7 GHz, Intel Core I5
Memory: 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Software:  Mac OS X Lion, Version 10.7.5 (11G63)

LOGIC PRO VERSION:  9.1.8 (1700.57) 32 bit

Totalmix Version: 0.989 Mac OS 10

Current Firmware: V.185 Driver v1.78

Thank you!

Re: Recording an Instrument using Babyface and LogicPro on an Imac

Hello Group!

I am more musician than engineer/mixer and have some noob questions that are NOOB in many ways, so try not to allow your snigger turn into a guffaw when you read them, but help would be appreciated.  And yes, I've read babyface manual and watched some tutorials, but my questions are so basic, the manuals and tutorials I've come across don't address them b/c to a certain degree, I think the manuals and videos for the Totalmix are written/filmed for someone who is quite handy getting around on a real mixer.  I'm also a noob b/c although I've owned my Baby and LogicPro for a few months now, a health situation in my family prevents me from getting to spend consistent quality time with it, so I'm in a persistent state of noob-ness.  I've included the specs for my computer, LogicPro, and Baby, Totalmix below in case that is relevant.  So here goes,

1. Doesn't Logic Pro have all those mixing routing choices, and if so, why use the Totalmixer in Babyface for them?  Or is there no way to bypass the Totalmix?  Do I have to route everything in the totalmix, or can I bypass it completely, or can I just use whatever its simplest function for getting the signal through to LogicPro?

2. I essentially just want to be able to plug and play my instruments to record (at least initially) the basic tracks, so what is the simplest, quickest way to do that?    Also, I know you can plug an instrument straight into the Babyface on the right side of the device itself, but what if you want to use the breakout cable.  Since the two line ins on the breakout cables are XLRs, then do I have to go direct, either out of a direct out signal on an amp, or through a DI box?

Computer Specs
IMac 21.5inch Mid 2011
Processor:  2.7 GHz, Intel Core I5
Memory: 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Software:  Mac OS X Lion, Version 10.7.5 (11G63)

LOGIC PRO VERSION:  9.1.8 (1700.57) 32 bit

Totalmix Version: 0.989 Mac OS 10

Current Firmware: V.185 Driver v1.78

Thank you!

3 (edited by spacealf 2013-06-08 21:54:40)

First off, the breakout cable of the Inputs are automatic for the babyface. TotalMixFx is a monitor mixer, meaning that you can tell the signal that is coming in on the Inputs and the signal going on on the Outputs, including the Headphones connections. So, whatever is coming in for the signal strength on the Input is also can be seen probably on your DAW (digital audio workstation) I guess that is Logic Pro. I am using Windows 7, and Sonar, but relatively still the same.

You set the inputs in your DAW to the Babyface left, right, or stereo, depending. Usually you set up the drivers to use in the computer for ASIO drivers for the Babyface. That way you record and hear back at the same time (with Windows 7 drivers, there would be lag or latency in which case what you hear playing back after recording a track would be a little off in timing (lag) to what you are hearing that has been already recorded.

You can input a guitar on the right side input of the babyface and in TotalMixFx it is Analog 2 channel Input (top row).
Software playing back through the Babyface is the middle row (read the bottom of the row), and the Lower row (third row) is the Hardware levels playing back, the Top Row in TotalMixFx is the Input level you are having through the automatic gain inputs. If the signal is too low that will show although you can raise the monitoring level in TotalMixFx to hear it and by using the wrench icon graphic to open up any channel in TotalMixFx and adjusting further the gain, but again if the signal is not sufficient incoming in the first place, then TotalMixFx will not gain any input - it only monitors. Same way with all the Rows with the Input and Output.

So yes, I plug my synth into the Analog 1 & 2 inputs (but if I needed more gain I would have to add a pre-amp or something like a channel strip between the synthesizer and the Babyface Analog 1 & 2 or either or both Inputs. That in your DAW you can see also perhaps before you record the input on the Track of the DAW.

That's about it, and it is in the manual. It may take a few readings to understand it but persevere with it.
There will be no effects going in on the recording at any time with the Babyface, not until you have recorded a track, are playing it back and loopback with the effects (reverb or echo or both) and re-recorded the playback onto another track in your DAW.

You can go direct (with my synth I use left and right output) or you can use a DI box if needed for a guitar because Analog 1 & 2 are not for guitar, but for anything else. The guitar input on the right side is high-impedance and if needed again to boost the signal before getting to your DAW, that is where other equipment may be used but again when I record guitar I have a guitar effects module so I go into the Analog ! & 2 inputs still (because the output warrants that lower impedance type of input like a synth.) Also a mic can be used in the Analog 1 & 2 inputs but again if you have to turn up the gain to hear it (top row of TotalMixFx too much you may hear hiss and noise) because again the input has to be sufficient into the Babyface in the first place, with any musical instrument or microphone you are using.

Straight off though my MK4 Sennheiser Microphone only had to be turned up to a Gain (inside the wrench graphic with the circle - knob gain control) to +12dB to hear it the same. Whether that would be loud enough into your DAW that can only be decided when you listen to the recording and look at the levels coming out of your DAW on each individual track. (The Babyface monitors the output that the Babyface is putting out according to anything playing back through the computer - but again that depended on the input in the first place to begin with.)

There is 48phantom power on the Analog Inputs also in the Babyface if needed for a microphone, and also if you have the levels of the faders down in TotalMixFX then you will hear nothing. TotalMixFx yes, has to be used unless you control the levels on the Babyface its self (which can also be done.) Since I am working on a computer, it is just easier to use TotalMixFX and leave the Babyface dials and all of that stuff alone, but either or I guess.

There is no gain on your DAW input either when setting up the inputs and outputs. So in your DAW you see what the Input is also, but too high in volume or too low is all that you see. You can record wherever in volume, but then what it sounds like when playing will be how well you recorded the signal input in the first place.

Thanks, Spacealf, I'll print out your post for future purposes.  I understand that it's a monitor mixer, and the layout of the three sections in it and what they're doing.  My grouse is that the Babyface guide should have like a quick start section that explains, in very brief numbered bullets, how to get recording/headphone mixes happening and one example or two of how to route.  It doesn't and anything written for working a piece of gear that "takes a few readings to understand" is not well written IMHO!  I've been watching video tutorials on line, and checking all my Ps&Qs with regard to whether I've got LogicPro to see Babyface as input and output source, and I still haven't gotten a decent recording level on some basic scratch tracks I'm trying to lay.  My M-Audio fast-track ultra was dead simple to use and get working.  The problem (and a known one from M-Audio at that) was that it kernal crashed my Mac on a rather routine basis, despite my having uploaded all the drivers and alleged bug fixes.  Whereas it will be nice to have some of the features that Babyface has, trying to use it is not that intuitive, and since I want to focus more on creation, spending all these hours just trying to figure out how to get a decent level is counter-productive.  RME, please write a better manual and put it in a font that a person over 25 can read!
:-)

5 (edited by spacealf 2013-06-09 20:46:27)

Ya, the manual is quite a bit with RME (but it explains a lot also compared to any other manual I have seen), and being new to all of it at the time I just could not wrap my head around it either. I found out bits along the way, and there is a quick start somewhere in the box I think, but it is much simple in the end. If the signal is not strong enough, then you may want to invest in some channel strips which I use now also which in my case were just cheap ones, but they work and work well if tweaking them to help out and again reading through their manual (not as difficult) and going by the examples in that manual which again made it easier and just using them.

My synth manual is 248 pages and also detailed in the end if one wants to know it all, so I can not complain about the RME manual.

(edited for spelling and I hope it is okay now).

EQ I think (since I do not use it) works on each input channel of the babyface (again the graphic wrench icon that opens up the channel all the way in TotalMixFX) also before recording (but I do not use it so try it if you need it).

And again a person does not need anything  extra like channel strips or other equipment because most equipment (synths and such) put out enough volume to go directly into the Babyface, but I use my channel strips (after reading more about recording and other bits on forums (like the Sonar or Cakewalk forum) and such that I understand a lot more now what it takes to make a good recording vs. just a recording I guess and use the channel strips for compressing and other things, which a DAW can also do but only after working in the DAW after the recording is made. I do it before the recording is made I guess, but can do both, before and after.

Well, back to the world of recording and learning more about it everyday in a sense by just doing it and reading forums for the software I use or even RME forums here.
Digicheck is great also I just found I should use that more also.

Okay the Internet is slow today so the numerous postings are done.

Here's an image and since I am not recording the extra red text showing fader is down all the way on the AN 1 top row. I am listening to a Utube video and can listen both on monitor speakers (bottom row left AN1 & 2) or computer speakers with Headphones out (middle row) and Control Room or headphones out of the Babyface.

If I were recording the AN1 & 2 on top row would be double click to go up all the way to zero like the Control Room stereo output also shown in middle row for the Ph. 3&4

I am running "Free" on right side of TotalMixFX also but Submix can be used which is usually simpler at first because of changing the text on the bottom of the channels across TotalMixFX to reflect where the signal is going.

At least in my simple view of TotalMixFX.
Done here!

http://i39.tinypic.com/34g1o8x.jpg

showing EQ in AN1 of top row and regular wrench open graphic in AN2 of top row. And all of that stuff like middle and bottom row where FX send return is also shown. FX send in top row.