Topic: Fireface UFX not working with USB3.0 on MacBooks

I've had people I work with send a couple of emails to your support staff but I received no reply...

I've had the fireface UFX for a year or two now, and used it very successfully with several USB2.0 equipped Macs. I had no need to try the firewire buss as the unit worked flawlessly. I used it exclusively with Pro Tools.

I've since upgraded some of my systems to 2013 macbook pros, which as I'm sure you know have USB3.0 sockets. Your website states compatibility with USB3.0 - long story short, it doesn't work. I've run the UFX over USB3.0, straight into it's own USB socket, and it causes catastrophic computer crashes (entire USB buss crashes, total computer freezes). I've tried it with a 2013 macbook pro, a usb3.0 equipped macbook air, and a usb3.0 equipped mac mini. Slightly different crashes with all, but all crash badly, and regularly. Switch to firewire via the thunderbolt adapter? Perfect. Utterly reliable, quick, and stable.

All drivers and firmware are up to date, and I've run it with Pro Tools 10 (regular and HD) version 10, on osx 10.7 and 10.8.

Be great to know what's going on here... Ideally I'd prefer to not have a chain of adapters to connect with.

Cheers

J

Re: Fireface UFX not working with USB3.0 on MacBooks

I am a Pro Tools 10 user, my UFX is connected in USB3 on a late 2012 iMac, no issue.

JM

Jean-Michel wrote:

I am a Pro Tools 10 user, my UFX is connected in USB3 on a late 2012 iMac, no issue.

JM

And 2012 imacs have usb3 yes? Hmmm.

Out of interest is your Fireface post the "update" RME did to the hardware (which was required for the remote option to function)?

I've been very thorough with my testing, using software and hardware I know back to front, and the fact I've had the issue across several systems leads me to suspect usb3 is at fault...

4 (edited by Jean-Michel 2013-06-11 20:15:51)

Yes, the very late 2012 imacs have USB3. Sorry, but my UFX is post update.

The ARC update has no bearing on USB performance.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.