1 (edited by dilly 2013-06-24 04:22:43)

Topic: setup issue, perhaps windows problem DPC spiking

Hi guys..  So I have installed a Raydat in my system along with a EMU PCI 1616m and all is running somewhat fine except I'm experiencing random-ish DPC spikes and I'm not sure why.

This is occurring even after rebooting and doing nothing.  I will post the screen shots..

http://s13.postimg.org/j0hnlhw43/dpc_programs.jpg

http://s13.postimg.org/smb81sn9v/dpclat.jpg

.jpg 1 is 'Programs run priority'
.jpg 2 is 'Background tasks are priority'

In my configuration the EMU PCI is acting as AD/DA with adat out of 1616 into Raydat 1+2.  I then have Raydat SPDIF output to Emu 1616m and I have RAYDAT for 'Internal' and EMU as 'SLAVE to SPDIF input'.

No other special settings and I tried several options like 'optimize for multiclient' and 'enable MMCSS', which didn't make a difference for this issue.

The spike in the .JPG is with nothing being done and the system idling, and the result in audio is a short clipping sound.

Do you think this is a setup problem or something else? 

I'm not seeing any other programs in the Task Manager being a obvious issue, I'm thinking that it's a configuration issue?

Device Manager shows no conflicts, EMU 1616 is on IRQ 17 and RAYDAY on IRQ 18.

Raydat input is saying 'Sync'.

Buffersize = 1024

No other conflicts shown... What do you think?

thx

Re: setup issue, perhaps windows problem DPC spiking

Usually this is due to some other driver occupying CPU time. The reason why it looks different with "Programs" priority likely just is that the DPC Latency Checker application gets higher priority to spam its own DPCs then.

Try to find out which other hardware is causing DPCs, either by turning things off one by one via Device-Manager or by using: http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Hi.  Timur, thx.. I checked further into Devices and I'm seeing that my network card and EMU are sharing the same IRQ now (17).  Although there is no indication of a problem or alert I wonder if this is the issue now. 
I'm trying to see how to solve this easily now...

Shared IRQs are usually not the source of DPC latencies, but it's not a bad idea to turn off the network adapter (and especially any WLAN) to check if this is the culprit. Graphic drivers can be a possible source sometimes. You can check the latter by switching to Microsoft's "Standard VGA driver" via Device-Manager (may lower the resolution, but it's only for checking anyway).

PC BIOS/EFI can be a source, too. Little one can do about that other than hoping for an update.

Also try to disconnect all external devices (USB, cardreader especially and literally everything else).

Seems the main culprit was a antivirus program.  I also turned off some extra Services which I seemed to do without...  Latency is good for the most part the system still seems more sensitive to DPC spikes than before..  CPU is IDLING around 5% now which makes me happy.

That LatencyMon really helped me see what was happening as far as 'drivers' and programs running DPC cycles.  I would like to get more streamlined if I could.... Anymore tips for W_7?

It seems the main culprits of DPC cycles now are
2) TCP/IP
3) DirectX
4) NDIS.sys (kaspersky layer)
http://s22.postimg.org/rz5bso5ct/laten_mon_1.jpg

I would like to get Kaspersky running with less CPU use, but I feel reluctant to tone down some of the web filtering.

In the past having emu patchmix open caused spikes. Simply closing while still running in systemtray helped.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Part of what I'm seeing now, I'm not sure what normal is/should be as far as Drivers taking too long to execute/report?

Things are looking decent but when I start Latencymon, but I eventually see some spikes of .22(ms)+ execution which finally triggers a not-suitable for audio alarm on the Main page.

The red spike are gone from DPCLatency, but LatencyMon still shows not-suitable message.  What I'm wonding is if this LatencyMon is just being over-sensitive?  My machine is not ancient, it's q9450 but not exactly cutting edge anymore.

The remaining DPC latencies are likely just a result of CPU power saving features (CPU clocked down to save power = longer DPC times on CPU). I wouldn't worry too much unless you experience dropouts. For starters you may want to switch to the "High Performance" Windows power profile instead of the default "Balanced" one.

Alright. 

Does anyone have any tips for using Kaspersky?  Perhaps I can turn off some extra features I don't need?

Also, is Nvidia typically ok for audio or should I see if a different Video might be more appropriate for audio?

thx

There likely is little you can do other than disabling the Firewall module of Kaspersky. NVidia drivers can work good or bad depending on the driver-to-GPU combination. Some mobile Nvidia GPUs had severe DPC issues with most, but not all driver versions. But it's been some time that anyone complained.

You can do a simple test: Download and run Prime95 (Torture test) and then measure DPCs again (while no audio is running). Likely the numbers will be lower.

Ok so, I can pretty much verify that all windows process are up to and things are looking good. 

However I still am getting some apparent semi-random spikes in the computer (and therefore the audio).  The problem seems to effect things like mouse, redraw updates and audio stream is disrupted just be a fraction of a second. 

I have messed with some BIOS settings a touch and noticed that this issue is probably sensitive to the ram and bios settings. 

It also doesn't appear to be a C1E isses (I hope not) because I would like to continue using this if it's possible

IS there any more BIOS settings which may be of concern to using RAYDAY on some systems?

q9450 ASUS P5Q NVIDIA 9600GT passive, 4 HD, DDR 3 1600.

Even now typing this just listening to some audio, the text will stall for a second then speed-up again a fraction of a second later....

This is kinda annoying, I going to try to adjust CPU and RAM slightly and see what happens.

Some settings I'm not sure would affect the system in this way.

PCIE-Frequency (default 100)

C1E core parking
RAM CAS speeds and latency
MEM Overclock charger
Ai Clock Twister

Load-Line Calibration
CPU Spread Spectrum
PCIE Spread Spectrum
CPU Clock Skew
CPU Margin Enhancement [Optimized] (or Performance Mode)

the system is also overclocked and a memory ratio of 3:5 is being used. 

if anything strikes a note with you guys please share

TIA

12 (edited by Timur Born 2013-06-29 07:07:57)

The Nvidia 9600GT could be a source of the culprit. It's mobile cousin was among those NVidia cards that had issues with some driver versions. To check that out you should try to use the Microsoft "Standard VGA Driver" (can be changed via Device-Manager) and see what happens.

Curious that your BIOS calls C1E "Core Parking", because C1E has nothing to do with it. Core parking is a mechanic that allows the CPU to go into C3 or C5/7 sleep states. C1E lower the CPU clock and voltage when the OS issues a HLT command (what you see as "Idle" process in Task-Manager).

What does LatencyMon report as source of the spikes? I can well imagine things like LAN or your Kasperky anti-virus being another source. Try disabling all network interfaces (Wlan and LAN) via Device-Manager and try to uninstall Kaspersky for a try (not just disable).

Did you switch to the "High Performance" power-profile?

13 (edited by dilly 2013-06-29 20:07:49)

I tried uninstall Nvidia with delete driver and switched to standard which seemed to clear things up some.
I uninstall Kaspersky completely
uninstall network driver

reinstall all and I'm seeing a big improvement so far (crosses fingers).

so thanks for the tips so far it seemed to work...  even my cpu usage in system tray is idleing lower now at 2% while browsing web + mp3 playback + youtube watching.

btw the Latmonitor still seems to report some issues but only under high stress (Cubase session), when it does it's 'Highest Reported' routines are
1) direct x dxgkrnl.sys
2) NToskrnl.exe NT Kernel