1 (edited by Bongobill03 2013-06-28 01:50:39)

Topic: Midi out not working

I'm trying to send midi data to a  drum machine. I'm using an XP PC. I'm able to send midi data (bulk dump)from the drum machine through the multiface (pcmcia interface) to the PC  but I cannot get the drum machine to receive the midi info from the PC. I have a PC program for the drum machine and when I tell it to "transmit all" it shows midi out activity on the PC program. When I checked "enable midi control" in the HDSP Mixer and both the midi in and out cables were plugged in I got an error on the drum machine saying "serial error press any key".I've also tried just having either the midi in or out cable in. It didn't transfer data but this "serial error" didn't happen.  Also the option in the HDSP Mixer "enable midi control" remained on when only one cable was plugged in but not when both were in.I also got a "midi buffer full" error on the drum machine when I had selected "enable midi control" and both cables were in and I had powered the drum machine off. When I turned it on the full buffer error happened.  When I had only the midi out cable in the multiface the midi out light blinked even though no midi activity was taking place.
I believe the settings on the drum machine are correct. Like midi in and out are on. Device id17 trig tx ch=10 channels Inst tr ch= 10. Is there something I should do with the RME Hammerfall Mixer on the pc other than check "enable midi control"? I'm very inexperienced with midi matters but I've done this some years earlier using another midi interface which I no longer have). Any tips would be appreciated.

Re: Midi out not working

You have the latest firmware for the Multiface?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

You don´t need to check enable midi control. That is for controlling the mixer through midi.
Are you sure the software is set to the right port out?
First thing to try is if the drum machine receives simple notes on from a sequencer like for example reaper. If that works try sysex.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

MC wrote:

You have the latest firmware for the Multiface?

I updated it last summer. I downloaded the file:hdsp_wdm_3085 and installed it. My current driver is 3.0.8.5 from 8/5/2010. I don't know how to tell what firmware I have? As I recall I went (nervously) through the flash procedure then.

I am not sure I understood your description correctly, but problems with SysEx bulk dump transfer have been fixed several times. Driver 3.085 is outdated and no longer supported. You can either use a known working MIDI interface for this, or take the risk and try the latest driver for the Multiface (3.37).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

vinark wrote:

You don´t need to check enable midi control. That is for controlling the mixer through midi.
Are you sure the software is set to the right port out?
First thing to try is if the drum machine receives simple notes on from a sequencer like for example reaper. If that works try sysex.

Thanks that's good to know about "enable midi control". My knowledge about using midi is small. Could you tell me what you mean by port.
I have Reaper but have only used it for some multi track recording.I've never used a sequencer.
I hardly ever use midi. Luckily because I don't understand it.
I spent many hours on this. I got a keyboard and it did trigger the drummachine so the midi in there worked. Then I downloaded midiox and a program called vdrumlib. Neither would recognize my backup but either one of them added something or I changed a setting on my pc. I went to audio properties and selected the multiface. I had already selected it in the software program but not in the general settings. Anyway thanks for the reply.

MC wrote:

I am not sure I understood your description correctly, but problems with SysEx bulk dump transfer have been fixed several times. Driver 3.085 is outdated and no longer supported. You can either use a known working MIDI interface for this, or take the risk and try the latest driver for the Multiface (3.37).

Thanks for the quick reply. The only midi interface I have now is the Multiface. I only use it occasionally but when I do it's for recordings that are important to me so I would be disappointed if I did something that disabled it.  For my budget it was a lot of money when I bought it as well as the $ spent having it repaired several times. In general though it's been reliable for doing analog recordings.  I have the RME Multiface Hammerfall DSP 24/96K Interface with pcmcia card.When you say "take the risk" what do you mean? Have others tried it with this machine and disabled the multiface?

If you know how to do it then you can easily update to the latest driver, check it out, and when it gives more problems then return to the old driver. Some people manage to screw up their whole computer this way, and as everything (else) seems to work for you with 3.085 it is your decision.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

If you know how to do it then you can easily update to the latest driver, check it out, and when it gives more problems then return to the old driver. Some people manage to screw up their whole computer this way, and as everything (else) seems to work for you with 3.085 it is your decision.

OK. Thanks for the explanation.