Topic: should I consider upgrading?

I bought the Multiface and PCI card about ten years ago! It has served me flawlessly all during that time with minimal fuss. The card is now installed in it's third computer! So I'm on DAW III and my Multiface/PCI card are still doing fine.

To be honest, I only use 1 or 2 inputs at a time. I do most everything else "in the box" with loops and VI's, but it's nice to know those extra inputs are there if I ever need them.

I was just wondering if I should be thinking about upgrading them? perhaps to a PCIe-card, or newer system? The one I have is serving me well, but I'm wondering if the D/A converters, anti-jitter technologies and bandwith and such have improved to the point where I should think about upgrading...

a penny for your thoughts? :-)

W7 x64
AMD Phenom II hex-core 3.4Ghz
8 G- RAM
intel SSD system drive
HDD sound and VI drives
Sonar X2

Re: should I consider upgrading?

Honestly, your ears have to be the judge. I personally added an old ADI-8 Pro to a MF via ADAT and there was a noticeable difference in the D/A conversion quality. I suggest you borrow or rent some quality gear and do your own comparisons; you might be surprised.

But note that your speakers, their amplification, and the size and treatment of your room can significantly affect what you hear; if you're lacking in the monitoring department, you may never be in position to appreciate conversion differences.

PC1 = HDSPe PCIe: DF-ADI-8 DS / HDSPe PCIe: MF2
MBP = HDSPe Expresscard: MF1